study method for MCSA

JohnPTJohnPT Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello everyone

I'm JohnPT of Portugal.

I entered the world of IT recently. I obtained the CompTIA A + a training center in Portugal and I'm studying for the MCSA.

Which or what are the best methods to study?
I started by MCSA Windows Server 2012 Complete Study Guide by William Panek and I can see some videos of CBT Nuggets.

They think that with these two is achieved by taking the certifications?

I know that many people install Windows Server 2012 on their own PCs. I can not because my processor is 32-bit.

They think that not having the WS2012 installed on my pc with no same certifications watching videos and using the WS2012 in training?

Thank you all!

Comments

• cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Labbing is a MUST if you want to master all things Windows. I highly recommend you do some sort of lab that can help you get familiar with this. If the case where this is absolutely impossible, you still have resources you can leverage such as Technet Virtual Labs and Microsoft Virtual Academy.

Also, check other "Passed (insert exam here)" threads to see what others did to prepare.
  • bohackbohack Member Posts: 114
    I second that...

NetworkedMinds - http://www.youtube.com/networkedminds
    MCSA / MCSE Educational Channel
  • JohnPTJohnPT Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    Labbing is a MUST if you want to master all things Windows. I highly recommend you do some sort of lab that can help you get familiar with this. If the case where this is absolutely impossible, you still have resources you can leverage such as Technet Virtual Labs and Microsoft Virtual Academy.

Also, check other "Passed (insert exam here)" threads to see what others did to prepare.

I know mess with Windows (Vista, 7, icon_cool.gif as well but I think for Windows Server 2012 a few hours or an intense week I can see and move a lot.

You spoke TechNet Virtual Labs and Microsoft Virtual Academy. I have to register, right? The WS2012 then rolls on my 32-bit portable?

You think that is better make another certification before MCSA?
    cyberguypr ,

I know mess with Windows (Vista, 7, icon_cool.gif as well but I think for Windows Server 2012 a few hours or an intense week I can see and move a lot.

You spoke TechNet Virtual Labs and Microsoft Virtual Academy. I have to register, right? The WS2012 then rolls on my 32-bit portable?

You think it´s better make another certification before MCSA?
  • XenomeowXenomeow Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Yeah with out a place to lab out server 2012 you are going to have a very difficult time with this exam. The books available for server 2012 all kind of suck and CBT nuggets leaves much to be desired. Check on Ebay for a HP Micro or an old dell power edge, both can be had for pretty cheap and will be very useful in attaining MCSA 2012.
    Hello guys,

I started by MCSA Windows Server 2012 Complete Study Guide by William Panek and I can see some videos of CBT Nuggets.

• ssnyderu2ssnyderu2 Member Posts: 475 ■■■□□□□□□□
    JohnPT wrote: »
    Hello guys,

That book and CBT Nuggets are fine to study with, but as already stated: Lab, Lab and then do more labs. Also dont just learn how to do things with the GUI, also learn how to do it with Powershell. If the book or videos show you how to add users in Active Directory using the GUI, lab that, then find out to do it in Powershell and lab that as well.

I cant stress enough labs and Powershell. I took the 70-640 exam a few years ago and failed it big time because I did not lab and did not know jack about Powershell.
    2019 Goals: 70-698, CCENT, MCSA 2016
    Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, CIW Foundations and MTA OS Fundamentals
    Cisco Lab :3x Cisco 2811 Routers, 3x Cisco 3750 Switches and Cisco 2620 Router with NM-32A module
    Windows Lab: Dual CPU Hyper-V server with 12 Cores/24 Threads, 96GB RAM and 2TB HDD.
    CANCER SURVIVOR! In Remission Since September 2016!
    ssnyderu2 wrote: »
    That book and CBT Nuggets are fine to study with, but as already stated: Lab, Lab and then do more labs. Also dont just learn how to do things with the GUI, also learn how to do it with Powershell. If the book or videos show you how to add users in Active Directory using the GUI, lab that, then find out to do it in Powershell and lab that as well.

I cant stress enough labs and Powershell. I took the 70-640 exam a few years ago and failed it big time because I did not lab and did not know jack about Powershell.

Thank´s a lot for help me.

In September I will start with MCSA training center classes but I know (my colleagues have done) that will use many laboratories in classes and many exercises home.