Getting back into certification and advice on chosen path

antcantc Member Posts: 49 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi all,

Its been quite a while since I have posted on these forums. I have been away due to health issues not really allowing me any time to properly study.

Anyway, have worked in IT for quite a few years now from 2nd line desktop support, senior 2nd line desktop, and currently a field engineer.

I want to get into server/network support/admin. I am about to start reading the MTA 98-365 Server Admin Essentials book which I think is probably a good place to start, before I look at starting 410 server 2012 exam.

Now, as I don't work with servers much in my day job as such, would you agree my plan is a good way to get into this and the right path to take?

Does anyone have any tips on how best to study and take the knowledge in etc? Also if you are/were someone like me who has been in a fairly senior desktop role and moved into server/network support/admin, how did you go about it? How did you get yourself there?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• tmcgtmcg Banned Posts: 127
    I can't tell you how best to get into server/networking as it's not my current job, however I am currently due to sit this exam in 2 weeks.

Like yourself I had no server experience I have found the MTA 98-365 very knowledgeable, although I don't know if it would be enough to get you your desired job. What I can tell you though is that it certainly a great starting point and bridge to higher Server certs.

As for studying I found pluralsight videos for the MTA 98-365 the best, much better than CBT nuggets. You should also read Tom Carpenter Windows Server Administration and the official Microsoft Windows Server Administration Fundamentals. Furthermore I would recommend that you setup a VM and run Windows Server 2008 R2.

I hope I've helped.
  • antcantc Member Posts: 49 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hi,

Yes that is very helpful. It is the Tom Carpenter book I have been reading too! I will look into the video side of things and see what I can find. I already have a couple of VM setup on my macbook with Server 2k8 on for labbing.

And I also agree I have so far picked up plenty of knowledge from the book so far.
    Anyone else have any tips?
  • poolmanjimpoolmanjim Member Posts: 285 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Getting into Systems/Network Admin roles isn't easy. Its highly competitive right now with more and more colleges graduating students with IT degrees and more and more people getting certifications. Furthermore, I have only met a few IT guys who wanted to spend their careers on help desk. Most people aim for 2-5 years on help desk and then they expect to graduate into a Systems or Network role. That is what I did.

The best thing you can do is to keep trying to expand your understanding. Even if you don't get certified keep studying exams and keep saving up to buy lab hardware to experiment and play with the technologies. If you can, get certified, it will boost your resume a lot.

I hate to say it but be patient. Hardly anyone wants to be on help desk. It is the springboard of IT that will eventually take you elsewhere when you get to know more and do more. Its also valuable experience that teaches you so much about technology and troubleshooting.
    2019 Goals: Security+
    2020 Goals: 70-744, Azure
    Completed: MCSA 2012 (01/2016), MCSE: Cloud Platform and Infrastructure (07/2017), MCSA 2017 (09/2017)
    Future Goals: CISSP, CCENT
    poolmanjim wrote: »
    Getting into Systems/Network Admin roles isn't easy. Its highly competitive right now with more and more colleges graduating students with IT degrees and more and more people getting certifications. Furthermore, I have only met a few IT guys who wanted to spend their careers on help desk. Most people aim for 2-5 years on help desk and then they expect to graduate into a Systems or Network role. That is what I did.

The best thing you can do is to keep trying to expand your understanding. Even if you don't get certified keep studying exams and keep saving up to buy lab hardware to experiment and play with the technologies. If you can, get certified, it will boost your resume a lot.

I hate to say it but be patient. Hardly anyone wants to be on help desk. It is the springboard of IT that will eventually take you elsewhere when you get to know more and do more. Its also valuable experience that teaches you so much about technology and troubleshooting.

Thanks poolmanjim!