Which 70-410 book is a better buy the MSCA Complete guide or the Cert guide?

NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
Hey guys,

I just about half way though with the 70-410 exam reference book by Craig. (I'm on page 197)
So far for additional studying I have done the following:
Watched Ed Lieberman Plural sight courses for 70-410 ,building labs around this course.

Tech Net labs
Implementing Storage Pools and Storage Spaces

Also, I'm watching the TI pro TV videos for the 70-410 and practicing things I learn from the videos.
It helps me to see someone else do a task.

I want to get another book for the server 2012 70-410 exam.

Which would be a better purchase?

MCSA Server 2012 R2 Complete Study Guide - William Panek

or the 70-410Cert guide book authored by don poulton
When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
American inventor

Comments

• JohnPTJohnPT Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hello

I study for MCSA Server 2012 R2 Complete Study Guide - William Panek and watch videos by CBT Nuggets
  • cruwlcruwl Member Posts: 341 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I have the cert guide book and think it is better written or more detailed then the craig zacker book.
  • poolmanjimpoolmanjim Member Posts: 285 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I used the Complete Study Guide by Panek.

However, I will say that one book and one set of training videos is adequate for that part of your study. They are all more or less the same in content. I suggest focusing on TechNets and Labbing once you have read through one book and watched one set of training videos. There is almost no chance you can pass on just books and videos alone.
    2019 Goals: Security+
    2020 Goals: 70-744, Azure
    Completed: MCSA 2012 (01/2016), MCSE: Cloud Platform and Infrastructure (07/2017), MCSA 2017 (09/2017)
    Future Goals: CISSP, CCENT
  • Rocket-sGRocket-sG Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I found the book by William Panek to be the best among all the textbooks I read (And I think the Microsoft Press is the worst of the bunch). Its more like a brochure than a textbook. It wastes so many pages talking about what has changed since Server 2008 to 2012. That is a waste of time.

I think the TechNet is really boring and it was hard for me to navigate, having to click back and then you forget what page you just came from and so forth.

And the writing style was as dry as a martini
  • Louie1277Louie1277 Member Posts: 505 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Rocket-sG wrote: »
    I found the book by William Panek to be the best among all the textbooks I read (And I think the Microsoft Press is the worst of the bunch). Its more like a brochure than a textbook. It wastes so many pages talking about what has changed since Server 2008 to 2012. That is a waste of time.

I think the TechNet is really boring and it was hard for me to navigate, having to click back and then you forget what page you just came from and so forth.

And the writing style was as dry as a martini

For some reason the TechNet puts me to sleep. DOn't know if it's slow or just the way they write it. I like following steps on how it's done and how to build it. That's how i learn plus watching the videos. That's the best way for me to learn.
    2018 Goals: 70-410 [X], 70-411 [],70-412 [] :bow: 410- Passed!!!!!!

My Goal for the Future
    2012 - *MCSA*(WHO KNOWS WHEN) KEEP FAILING!!!! Not enough time to pass the last 2 exams.
    2021 - *Security+*
    2022 - * Pen Tester*
  • natharasnatharas Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I think with technet / born to learn you can feel overwhelmed quite quickly with all the info and links provided.
  • DY770DY770 Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Is William Panek's book better than Mark Minasi's book for the MCSA studies?
  • kevb1981kevb1981 Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi everyone, ive just passed the 98-365 exam and moved on to the 70-410. with my current job I don't have the access to train with servers. I have Willam Paneks book, and CBT Nugges videos. I have a copy of 2008 enterprise on a disk. Is there a way I could put that disk on to a virtual machine on my laptop. I only have win7 on my laptop.

any help would be great
    are you studying for MCSA 2008 or 2012? the 70-410 is for server 2012, you can download a free evaluation copy of the OS from microsoft. you can either run something like virtual box on your windows 7 laptop, or you can install server 2012 as a dual boot on your laptop and then run Hyper-v to run additional VMs for the labs.

dual booting windows 7 and server 2012 would probably give you better experience then using virtual box.
  • kevb1981kevb1981 Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    its 2012 im studying. A few people have suggested virtual box. I wouldn't know were to start on dual booting my laptop.
    Well its all great experience and something that's not too difficult to learn. (That's the point of studying right? to learn the things you do not know.)

I would highly suggesting backing up all your important stuff on your laptop.

Then follow this technet article: Article - Dual Booting Windows 7 and Windows Server 2012 or Windows 8 - Blain Barton's Blog - Site Home - TechNet Blogs