How to start up A+ EXAM

QuestionTimeQuestionTime Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi Guys:

First of all, I really want to say the A+ Web (CompTIA) is very confussing to me, all they are talking about is just some advertising stuff - about the benefits to obtain A+ Certification. That's why I am posting a question in here.

I am currently a junior computer hardware tech and planning to get my A+ Certification (My company is cheap, they wont pay for it). However, I really get confussed by reading the CompTIA web.

Seems like CompTIA have A+ Exam for 2003 and Newly update A+ Exam 2006 (Coming soon).

1.) Can anyone give me suggestion the should I wait till end of Q306 to start A+ EXAM 2006 since its not to far to the end of Q306 ?

2.) If I am starting to study the metiarial, should I just go Chapters to grab a book to start with or purchasing some other out source company study package ? I am having concern that just buying a book/package, is that going to be enough to cover for the exam (I understood experience is also needed) ? That sucks currently the CompTIA has only metirial cover for Objective 2003 but not 2006
(*PS: I would perfer self study, I believe it saves some $ then go take a course).

3.) Pricing - CompTIA A+ $153.00 (US) / If the A+ Exam 2006 out, you have to take 2 exam in order to obtain the ceritification. That's sounds like doubling the price. Isnt it ?

4.) If I need to register the exam, do I need to purchase a Voucher ? I totally have no idea what a Voucher is and they come with differece pricing too. COMPTIA A+® PROMETRIC / COMPTIA A+® VUE Voucher / CompTIA A+: Core Hardware Technologies (2003 Objectives) : CompTIA Press Edition / CompTIA A+: OS Technologies (2003 Objectives) : CompTIA Press Edition.
Is that a package of study material or a card that you can bring it to where exam center to write you A+ exam ?

Please feel free to drop your comment or answer.

Much appericated to everyone.

Thank you.
The better a man is , the more mistakes he will make . Peter Drucker!

Comments

• QuestionTimeQuestionTime Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Sorry about that, I think I am posting this question in wrong channal. But still if anyone have any commet please feel free to reply this.
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    The A+ is pretty straightfoward, once you've been introduced to it. The current exam consists of two tests, on one software concepts and the other on hardware concepts. There are two tests to take for this certification, and you have to pay $135 for each. However, since this version of the exam isn't going to expire until December 31st of this year, I would recommend you study for it, especially if you're already working as a technician. You should have no problem understanding the concepts of basic hardware and software troubleshooting, repair, and upgrading; and I don't think you'll be spending more than a few months on taking the tests, once you find some study material.

At the start of 2006, the format we're all used to will change slightly. There won't simply be a hardware and software test. Instead, there will be a test on basic concepts, and then a specialty exam, depending on what you work with. There is a test called "A+ Essentials", which will cover a broad range of software and hardware topics. Then, you'll have a choice of three others, depending on what you want to specialize in:
      220-602 - This is a generalized test on more advanced A+ technologies. Suitable for most situations.
        220-603 - This one is slated as a "remote technician" test. Basically, if you're working at a callcenter or helpdesk, connecting to or helping users remotely, this is for you.
          220-604 - This test is focused mainly on technology concepts, with very little on customer interaction and ticketing. This is considered a "depot technician" type of job, where you're really only working on systems. This would be good for people working in an environment where someone else talks to customers or clients, and you're brought the systems to work on.
          Most people will probably be fine taking the A+ Essentials and 220-602, since that elective seems to be most like the older edition of A+, in terms of the concepts covered. The only real difference is that things won't be broken down into such a basic format, with hardware on one end and software on the other. Either way, there will still be two tests required for the A+ certification.

If you want to find more information, go to this page and fill out the form, then check off which tests you'd like info on. You can download PDF's on what is on each test, the description of what you need, and sometimes there are tools and helpful information to guide you along:
          http://certification.comptia.org/resources/objectives.aspx

(Note: no matter which specialty you pick, the designation for the certification won't change. It will only be A+, not A+: Remote, A+: Depot, or anything like that. The specializations are there for the benefit of the test-taker, to be able to figure out what to focus on.)

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
          Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
          Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
          Thank you very much for your reply, Slowhand.

After reading your reply, I feel much more comfortable. I also check with other posting in the forum, found out that the new A+ 2006 pricing is about 50% more than the original.

However, I am still having a little concern in which if I am going to finish the certification within next 2 months, do I need to have a upgrade it after the new A+ exam 2006 release ?

I know its kind of optional for you to choose upgrade or not, but I am kind of a person who worry alot all the time. Coz if I take the currenty A+ exam, I am affriad of missing lots of thing that cover on A+ exam 2006.

Is that true ?

Thank you.
        • bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
          You're not going to be 'missing' anything because you have A+ on 2003 track. If you are going to be in the field working with computers, you should be constantly working with some of the latest components.

I would suggest as CompTIA announces that you should go ahead and get your A+ certification on 2003 track. When the 2006 track eventually rolls out, you can then decide whether you want to upgrade to one of the designation choices or not.
          Jack of all trades, master of none
          Just have a little quick touch up. If I buy a book it stays for exam 220-301 & 220-302. Is that book still compatible with the currently exam in CompTIA - A+ Essential and 220-602/603/604 ?
          Coz I check most of the web site but still cannot find any books related with A+ Essential or one of the elective exam 220-602/603/604.

What should I do ?
          301, 302 likely will not be the same as the 06 objectives.

You cant find any books on the 06 objectives because the exam isnt even out yet. Take a deep breath and focus on what's currently available. If you're sure you want to get the 06 objective, you can switch direction and perhaps get a MCP first by writing a microsoft exam. And then wait for the 06 exam and books.
          Hi Guys:

3.) Pricing - CompTIA A+ $153.00 (US) / If the A+ Exam 2006 out, you have to take 2 exam in order to obtain the ceritification. That's sounds like doubling the price. Isnt it ?

4.) If I need to register the exam, do I need to purchase a Voucher ? I totally have no idea what a Voucher is and they come with differece pricing too. COMPTIA A+® PROMETRIC / COMPTIA A+® VUE Voucher / CompTIA A+: Core Hardware Technologies (2003 Objectives) : CompTIA Press Edition / CompTIA A+: OS Technologies (2003 Objectives) : CompTIA Press Edition.
          Is that a package of study material or a card that you can bring it to where exam center to write you A+ exam ?

the prices of CompTIA exams are per exam per attempt. So if it takes you one attempt on OS and one on Hardware, you pay the exam price x 2.

A voucher is like a coupon redeeming extrance for an exam. Prometric and PearsonVUE are the two authorized testing centres for examination and certification. You can get vouchers for lower costs than the exam cost because you have to buy them ahead of time.
          Thankx for replying:

According what I see in the FAQ in CompITA
          What are the exam codes of the updated CompTIA A+ exams?
          The exam code for CompTIA A+ Essentials is 220-601, followed by exam codes 220-602, 220-603, and 220-604 for other CompTIA A+ exams. The exam code for the E2C version of CompTIA A+ Essentials is JK0-601, followed by JK0-602, JK0-603 and JK0-604 for other CompTIA A+ exams.

If I did not understand it wrong, the current exam till the end of 2006 will be - CompTIA A+ Essentials is 220-601, followed by exam codes 220-602, 220-603, and 220-604.
          However, I been walk through lots of bookshops and browsing from the internet - I did not see any books related with any of those [220-602, 220-603, and 220-604].

If I am going to take the exam, what was the exact Exam # ?
          What kind of A+ book I should buy ?
          [/quote]
        • kujayhawk93kujayhawk93 Member Posts: 355
          I think you're just confusing yourself further. That passage you're citing only refers to the new, yet-to-be-released, exams. You will not find any study materials for these until CompTIA actually makes the change, which is several months down the line. The current exam codes are:

220-301 for Core Hardware

220-302 for OS Technologies

These are the codes you need to look for when shopping for study materials, don't even worry about the new 2006 stuff.
          Oh no... icon_eek.gif

I am so sorry for that. I was in a loop all night last night. CompTIA - offering Technical Cert. Thomson Prometic - offering exam (which you are paying the exam fee to them).

I was looking at the CompTIA - [url http://certification.comptia.org/a/glancebox.aspx [/url] If I did not understand it wrong.

The following course objectives are the current existing one. Will be retired at the end of 2006.
          CompTIA A+ 2003 Linear Core Exam: 220-301
          CompTIA A+ 2003 Linear OS Exam: 220-302

============================================
          What are the exam codes of the updated CompTIA A+ exams?
          The exam code for CompTIA A+ Essentials is 220-601, followed by exam codes 220-602, 220-603, and 220-604 for other CompTIA A+ exams. The exam code for the E2C version of CompTIA A+ Essentials is JK0-601, followed by JK0-602, JK0-603 and JK0-604 for other CompTIA A+ exams.
          http://certification.comptia.org/a/New_A_FAQ.aspx

The following course objective are the new one. Will be availiable in late Q306 or 2007.
          CompTIA A+ 2003 E2C Core Exam: JK0-301
          CompTIA A+ 2003 E2C OS Exam: JK0-302

[/quote]
          Again ! I would really appreciat everyone's help in this forum.
          Without all you experts here to answer my question, I will never get out from this loop. Now I think I got a clear path.

I think I will go for the existing core exam

Any recommanded good study material regarding with those 2 exam ?
        • panikpanik Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□

I think you're on the right track now.

I'd recommend: A+ Certification All-in-One Exam Guide 5th Edition by Michael Meyers, it covers both exams

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/0072229918

And the technotes on this website: http://www.techexams.net/cotechnotes.shtml
        • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
          panik wrote:

I think you're on the right track now.

I'd recommend: A+ Certification All-in-One Exam Guide 5th Edition by Michael Meyers, it covers both exams

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/0072229918

And the technotes on this website: http://www.techexams.net/cotechnotes.shtml

Well said,.

:)
          Plantwiz
          _____
          "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?