comptia a+ home study

bensimm91bensimm91 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi guys im new here and i am currently starting to study comptia a+ atm i am just watching proffessor messer videos on youtube i am good with computers anyways so i already know alot of it . but my worry is will this be enough to get a job in IT thinking of doing the network+ straight after

Comments

• ssnyderu2ssnyderu2 Member Posts: 475 ■■■□□□□□□□
    A+ can get you started in a PC repair shop or a Help Desk. Many will get the A+, Network+ and Security+. From that point they will pick a path such as Microsoft MCSA or Cisco CCNA.
    2019 Goals: 70-698, CCENT, MCSA 2016
    Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, CIW Foundations and MTA OS Fundamentals
    Cisco Lab :3x Cisco 2811 Routers, 3x Cisco 3750 Switches and Cisco 2620 Router with NM-32A module
    Windows Lab: Dual CPU Hyper-V server with 12 Cores/24 Threads, 96GB RAM and 2TB HDD.
    CANCER SURVIVOR! In Remission Since September 2016!
  • orlandoflorlandofl Member Posts: 216 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I concur with ssnyderu2. I decided to do the A+, Network+, and Security+ to lay a solid working foundation. The CompTIA certs recently helped me land a decent gig in advanced tech support with an ISP. What I don't recommend anyone to do is is the HDI (Help Desk Institute) certifications...completely worthless, it has never helped me in any capacity. Once I'm able to move from support to a network position i'll likely stop listing it on my resume. I plan on doing Cisco and Security certs next.

Best of luck

-Travis
    • Education: B.A. Criminal Justice - Thomas Edison State University
    • Education: Undergraduate Certificate in Microsoft Server Administration - St. Petersburg College
    • Currently Working On: MCSA - Windows 10
    • Planned Certifications for 2017: MCSE - Mobility
    • Connect With Me On LinkedIn:https://www.linkedin.com/in/travisebyrd
  • KandinskyKandinsky Member Posts: 108 ■■■□□□□□□□
    orlandofl wrote: »
    The CompTIA certs recently helped me land a decent gig in advanced tech support with an ISP.

Hey Travis,

I'm in the central Florida region as well. Which ISP? Do they still have any openings?
  • bloodshotbettybloodshotbetty Member Posts: 215
    My current employer is waiting for me to take the 802 so they can move me into a better position. It can definitely get you a job. Plus, if you know a lot of the stuff already, you will be on your way! I didn't know jack shizz and I'm employed :)

A+ certified
    Bachelors of Science in Social Work, Augsburg College
    Working on: Network+
  • doubledeesdoubledees Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    best of luck to you. I am still trying to get an IT related position with my A+, lol.
  • orlandoflorlandofl Member Posts: 216 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Kandinsky wrote: »
    Hey Travis,

I'm in the central Florida region as well. Which ISP? Do they still have any openings?

Sent you a PM
    • Education: B.A. Criminal Justice - Thomas Edison State University
    • Education: Undergraduate Certificate in Microsoft Server Administration - St. Petersburg College
    • Currently Working On: MCSA - Windows 10
    • Planned Certifications for 2017: MCSE - Mobility
    • Connect With Me On LinkedIn:https://www.linkedin.com/in/travisebyrd