Programs wont launch on Windows PC (Processes do launch however)

JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
Hey guys, hopefully someone can shine some light on an issue that has been plaguing me with this laptop I've had the past year or so. It's an HP Dv6 (forgot the submodel), but it has an AMD A8 3500M proc. Here's the issue I've been having, whenever I launch most programs, nothing happens. The GUI for the respective program won't launch, however when I check Task Manager, the process is in fact running. It started when I got the computer, I did a fresh install of Win 7 and I had VMware Workstation loaded for my lab. I had the issue with it not launching. I would have to reboot the laptop and randomly it would work one of the times after rebooting. I decided to move on to Win 8.1 Pro and also installed new RAM and a new Samsung SSD. I'm again now having the same issue, however it's worse. Now when launching Windows Update from the Control Panel, it does the same thing. Trying to launch VMware Workstation, and now Player, the same thing. The process is running in the background. I can kill the process and try to launch again but that doesn't work. Each time the OS has been the 64 bit version, with the respective programs also being 64 bit. Does anyone have any clue what the issue is? I've been searching online and can only find issues of that happening with Modern UI apps. I've checked my system logs and don't see any errors, or informational alerts that would stand out to be causing the issue.
Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
Next Up:​ OSCP
Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework

Comments

• NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Hello,

I saw this post
    Windows 7: HP Pavilion DV6 laptop, programs not responding every now and then
    HP Pavilion DV6 laptop, programs not responding every now and then - Windows 7 Help Forums

Sounds like they recommending replacing the CPU.

hi, i have a HP Pavilion DV6-6009TX, i bought it last year during april... initially, it was doing ok, but starting this year around february, the programs that i launch seems to be not responding every now and then... even microsoft word, it freezes for a good 10-20 seconds everytime i save a document, and when i type halfway, it will stop responding and resume after around 15 seconds... the problem is even worst when i try to play games... the game will spike every 5 seconds, making it unplayable... anyone knows what is wrong with my laptop?

First post says:

Hello lala1990!

It sounds like you've got the classical CPU throttling due to overheating problem... To confirm this download a program like CoreTemp (Core Temp) and run it while using your system/gaming... note the temperatures...

If they're really high (above 80 - 90 C), try and clear out the dust from the vents of your latptop, and it's innards too if you're brave enough to open the back panel; of course if it's under warranty still you shouldn't do that...

Question:
    1) have you check the intake and exhaust fans for dust?
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • --chris----chris-- Member Posts: 1,518 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Try and do a "Clean boot" (I am on my iPad and cant get the damn thing to cooperate with copy/paste).

Essentially you want to do a clean boot, and if this fixes the issue you need to start enabling the 3rd party software (in msconfig > boot) one at a time until you find the one that creates the software conflict you are seeing.

Once you isolate the offender, google or contact support if possible.

Your symptoms are very similar to what I see when there is an app causing issues. The process runs, but nothing "pops" up. Doing a clean boot fixes the issue almost every time.
  • JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    I checked the fans/vents again and they are clean.

Chris, thanks for that advice. I tried the clean boot and sure enough, the same issue.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
    JoJoCal19 wrote: »
    I checked the fans/vents again and they are clean.

Chris, thanks for that advice. I tried the clean boot and sure enough, the same issue.

Is your copy of workstation licensed properly? If so, contact VMWare and put the ball in their court.
  • widget101widget101 Member Posts: 29 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If this is happening with other applications (and not just VMware Workstation), you may not have much luck working with VMware support.

Quick question: when you launch the program and can verify the process is running in Task Manager, does the program actually show up in the Alt-Tab list? If so, try switching to it and then pressing the Windows key + one of the arrow keys to see if Windows is trying to render it on another desktop.

The above might be a dumb suggestion, but it reminds me of situations where I have had my laptop connected to a second monitor, but even after disconnecting it, the program won't show up on the main display and somehow is trying to load on the other screen.
  • JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    --chris-- wrote: »
    Is your copy of workstation licensed properly? If so, contact VMWare and put the ball in their court.

Yup, properly licensed. As well my copy of Windows 8.1 Pro and all other software. It's not just Workstation though, it's most applications and now it's even parts of Windows, such as Windows Update.

Widget, I'll doublecheck that just to make sure even though I dont have external monitors. And at this point no suggestion is dumb. This is seriously ******* me off as this is my Wintel laptop that I lab on and use Office for school and other things. I guess I'm going to have to pop the SSD in my MacBook Pro as a second drive and run Windows that way via Bootcamp.
  • the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    What happens when you boot into safe mode and launch an application?
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
    JoJoCal19 wrote: »
    Yup, properly licensed. As well my copy of Windows 8.1 Pro and all other software. It's not just Workstation though, it's most applications and now it's even parts of Windows, such as Windows Update.

Widget, I'll doublecheck that just to make sure even though I dont have external monitors. And at this point no suggestion is dumb. This is seriously ******* me off as this is my Wintel laptop that I lab on and use Office for school and other things. I guess I'm going to have to pop the SSD in my MacBook Pro as a second drive and run Windows that way via Bootcamp.

ahh I see, I was fixated on workstation failing to start up and failed to see its other apps.

Did any of the "other" apps work after the clean boot, or was it (as far as you can tell) the same symptoms afterwards?
  • 5ekurity5ekurity Member Posts: 346 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Did I read properly that this was on a fresh install of Windows? If so, was it a trusted install disc? I ask because I came across some malware recently that attempted to hook itself into various processes on a Windows box that would result in apps crashing or not launching.

https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/4fc02525e2ddbd1c4a086802d92c5a7fcd2dbbd4aa0e9f56a77c58d11b5e3e0a/analysis/1431004081/
    If its a fresh install of windows, where are you drawing the drivers from? The old install? Or are you sourcing every single one from the manufacturers/vendors?

I have done a fresh 7 install, but re-used the old drivers from the windows\sys32\drivers folder from the old install and still had issues persist (in that instance it was a onboard NIC shutting down randomly, not apps freezing up). I know with laptops sourcing drivers can be a royal pain, and sometimes using generic drivers is all you have (which can cause issues like this).
  • TheStoddemeisterTheStoddemeister Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Since it seems that the issue has been an over time deterioration of modern UI apps, have you tried turning off all the excess UI garbage that Windows activates automatically (things like Aero)? If you still encounter problems then, have you updated your drivers using the manufacturer's set instead of Plug and Play? If so, how/what is your video card?