Options

CCENT/CCNA Study Materials

orlandoflorlandofl Member Posts: 216 ■■■□□□□□□□
So just wanted to get some input from those that have taken and passed the CCENT/CCNA exams in terms of study material. The resources I've complied include:

-CBT Nuggets ICND1 and ICND2 courses

-Chris Bryant's CCNA Boot camp from Udemy

-Boson practice tests

-Wendell Odom's ICND1 and ICND2 cert guides

Am i missing anything? Any input is appreciated!!

-Travis
  • Education: B.A. Criminal Justice - Thomas Edison State University
  • Education: Undergraduate Certificate in Microsoft Server Administration - St. Petersburg College
  • Currently Working On: MCSA - Windows 10
  • Planned Certifications for 2017: MCSE - Mobility
  • Connect With Me On LinkedIn:https://www.linkedin.com/in/travisebyrd

Comments

• Options
    showintshowint Member Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□
    All materials you enumerated are sufficient for passing an exam. But for building quite solid foundation I'd also suggest you the following:

1. INE CCNA
    2. Nicholas Andre (esp. some subnetting lessons) http://youtube.com/user/mrnickandre/videos
    3. 101 Cisco CCNA labs by Paul Browning
    4. CBT Nuggets - CCNA Hands-on Labs Using Wireshark & GNS3
    5. Cisco Cookbook
  • Options
    --chris----chris-- Member Posts: 1,518 ■■■■■□□□□□
    GNS3!

Also Lammles books are nice once you have read Odoms book since Odom is "by the book" and Lammle is more "here is how things work in the real world" with some of his examples.
  • Options
    Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Forget Odom's book. Too boring.
    Forget Chris Bryant's videos. Even more boring.
    You may use them later to clarify things. No need to read 2 books simultaneously.

Use Lammle's book along with CBT Nuggets. The most fun and lively way to learn. Watch video, THEN read. Makes it easy to digest the reading.
    They also have a "CCNA Exam Walkthrough" series that is excellent for reviewing when you get close to the exam date.

You may want to look into Lazaro Diaz's CCNA Video Series. Found this to be informative, but less flashy as CBT Nuggets.

Find a Lab Workbook. Free CCNA Workbook is pretty good. So are the 101 CCNA Labs.
    Use Real Gear or Packet Tracer simulation software.

Lastly, subnetting. This is the golden gate to knowing how to subnet. You'll thank me later. The 100-101 exam requires you to subnet lightning fast. This link will help you do it once you learn the traditional book method.

Good luck.
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • Options
    --chris-- wrote: »
    GNS3!

Also Lammles books are nice once you have read Odoms book since Odom is "by the book" and Lammle is more "here is how things work in the real world" with some of his examples.

Never heard of the GNS3...started looking into it...very interesting. So you can actually spin up like..virtual machine routers and switches like you would a real OS VM but in IOS? This could be exactly what I was looking for. I wanted to get equipment to practice on, but can't really drop 600-1000 bucks for a decent lab. Does anyone have any idea what version of IOS would be best and have a guide of CCENT/CCNA labs to do with GNS3 as I have no idea...where to even start.

I started Chris Bryant's CCNA boot-camp on Udemy. I really like the way the course is mapped out and the guy seems to keep things interesting. To those of you who have taken Bryant's Udemy CCNA boot-camp what did you think of the quality and did you think it prepared you for the exam?

Thanks!

Travis
    • Education: Undergraduate Certificate in Microsoft Server Administration - St. Petersburg College
  • Options
    orlandofl wrote: »
    Never heard of the GNS3...started looking into it...very interesting. So you can actually spin up like..virtual machine routers and switches like you would a real OS VM but in IOS? This could be exactly what I was looking for. I wanted to get equipment to practice on, but can't really drop 600-1000 bucks for a decent lab. Does anyone have any idea what version of IOS would be best and have a guide of CCENT/CCNA labs to do with GNS3 as I have no idea...where to even start.

I started Chris Bryant's CCNA boot-camp on Udemy. I really like the way the course is mapped out and the guy seems to keep things interesting. To those of you who have taken Bryant's Udemy CCNA boot-camp what did you think of the quality and did you think it prepared you for the exam?

Thanks!

Travis

Read my above post. Chris Bryant just reads off of slides. Jeremy Ciaora in CBT Nuggets draws, scribbles, gives examples, and great scenarios, he has the tenacity to teach and is very exciting to listen to. I only saw his videos when I was reviewing. It was nowhere near as fun as CBT Nuggets.

The 3 2620xm routers and 3 2950 switches in the lab in my signature cost less than $300. This is the setup I recommend to ccna noobs.
    I have no idea where you got your figures from. If you want a lab, never order a kit from somewhere that is making money off of what you should be doing. Which is buying devices individually. I was able to do all labs with my setup.

GNS3 on the other hand is a Cisco IOS emulator. You still need images though and it is definitely a little learning curve to setup vs Packet Tracer. Many people use it for higher level CCNP/CCIE studies where you need tons of devices.

You may want to look into Cisco Packet Tracer. It is a simulation software that is provided by Cisco for CCNA Students. While it is "simulation", it is not full blown Cisco IOS Emulation or real gear. Commands that are past CCNA level are not available. It is a very great tool and substitute if you cannot get a real lab. I do recommend a real lab as it can teach you things a simulator or emulator cannot. Things such as IOS Upgrades, Physical Layer issues, Power/heat issues, and more. It is what you will actually encounter in the real world.

Also, don't wait to start your studies, you will need access to the command line when you are about halfway through your CCENT book.
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • Options
    Read my above post. Chris Bryant just reads off of slides. Jeremy Ciaora in CBT Nuggets draws, scribbles, gives examples, and great scenarios, he has the tenacity to teach and is very exciting to listen to. I only saw his videos when I was reviewing. It was nowhere near as fun as CBT Nuggets.

The 3 2620xm routers and 3 2950 switches in the lab in my signature cost less than $300. This is the setup I recommend to ccna noobs.
    I have no idea where you got your figures from. If you want a lab, never order a kit from somewhere that is making money off of what you should be doing. Which is buying devices individually. I was able to do all labs with my setup.

GNS3 on the other hand is a Cisco IOS emulator. You still need images though and it is definitely a little learning curve to setup vs Packet Tracer. Many people use it for higher level CCNP/CCIE studies where you need tons of devices.

You may want to look into Cisco Packet Tracer. It is a simulation software that is provided by Cisco for CCNA Students. While it is "simulation", it is not full blown Cisco IOS Emulation or real gear. Commands that are past CCNA level are not available. It is a very great tool and substitute if you cannot get a real lab. I do recommend a real lab as it can teach you things a simulator or emulator cannot. Things such as IOS Upgrades, Physical Layer issues, Power/heat issues, and more. It is what you will actually encounter in the real world.

Also, don't wait to start your studies, you will need access to the command line when you are about halfway through your CCENT book.

Thanks. For whatever reason I didn't see your post initially when replying. I have packet tracer. I'll have to put together the home lab you mentioned. I did look @ the 2950 switch. Were you talking about the 2950T, 12 port, or 24 port? I priced my lab from certificationkits.com as a 'bundle' that included an access server (is the access server needed)

In regards to Christ Bryant's boot-camp, i'll have to agree. While the guy seems very knowledgeable and is easy to listen to...i'm looking at slides of text. I used CBT nuggets from Net+ and Security+ with Keith Barker...all the scribbling and drawings seem to be engaging and help to relate, and remember the information. I take notes on every slide when using CBT nuggets because the content (or drawings I can relate to) are there..i have very little notes thus far in Bryant's course..i can't copy text slides verbatim. Ow well..at least I'm only out 10 dollars.

Thanks!

-Travis
  • Options
    • The 2950 switches come in multiple flavors. Plain 8 or 12 port Standard Image ones and then the ones that can run the Enhanced Images (followed by a letter). Pick any one that can run the EI as which does matter to your studies. The only difference are the extra ports on the right side. They usually run the same price so choose the cheapest.
      • 2950T has 2 extra Gig ethernet ports. Clearly does not matter in your lab environment.
      • 2950G has 2 extra GBIC ports that do not matter in your lab environment.
      • 2950C has 2 extra fiber ports that once again do not matter.
    • Do not worry about the IOS versions on these as they cannot be upgraded any farther than 12.1 Enhanced I believe.
    • IF you wish to go into CCNP territory afterwards, replace one with a 3550 switch running its enhanced image. (EMI). It is a multilayer switch that can also work at layer3 (routing).
    For the Routers
    • If you want to use 26__xm routers, get whichever is cheapest (2610xm, 2620xm, 2611xm or 2621xm).
    • Sometimes the higher end models like the 2621xm and 2620xm are cheaper at times on ebay.
    • The 262_xm ones are just faster in processing but that is nothing you can notice in a home lab with only a few things connected. The 26_1xms also has an extra ethernet port which doesn't really matter.
    • Make sure you get them with 128mb ram and 32mb flash mem as minimum to be able to install IOS 12.4T. It is the recommended version for the exam as well as the highest ios these can run. Do not worry about IOS15 as it hasnt change much at all and it is the next one up from 12.4T. It also supports IPv6 if you get the advanced IOSes such as ios12.4T Advance Security etc. If the router does not already have these upgrades, you can easily upgrade this yourself for less than $10 bucks.
    • Do not get the non-XM version as these do not have expandable memory. Hence the "XM". These cannot run 12.4T.

The access server is a great device that can allow you to access any device you have connected to it.
    You access whatever gear you have connected to it by going through the Access Server.
    I definitely recommend getting one for cheap which I will tell you later. But first,

You can also have the access server on your home network. It is a Layer 3 device by nature. This allows you connect to it wirelessly or via ethernet using one cable vs 6.

This eliminates clutter with 6 usb cables that I used to use for example. Plus, every time you disconnected or move or power on or off a device, it would become hard to remember which port is which. So glad I have an access server. Devices like these are used in the real world for a reason. It offers management of your devices.

You use the single IP address of the access server and a layer 4 port that you can preconfigure. Something like 7001 for physical port 1, 7002 and so on.
    So for example, What this is what I type in linux terminal to connect to Router 1 that I preconfigured on the access server.
    "ssh root@192.168.0.2 -p 7001"

This creates the ssh connection to the access server and then it knows from the L4 port number that it needs to create a console session with what is on physical port 1. In this case Router 1.

All your devices will connect to the access server with console cable. Just to let you know. The lab network is disconnected from your actual network that the access server and your pc sit on which is great.

With some tinkering of your home router, You can remotely access your devices from any network. Such as work, starbucks, on vacation whatever. Real fun stuff.

I would recommend you stay away from the Cisco Access Servers. Or using any router with the addon card. It is super expensive with the special octal cables and all compared to what I do recommend.

I suggest the Digi CM32 or the Digi CM48. The only difference is max physical port numbers.
    This device is absolutely amazing. It has a graphical web interface thats super easy to use and allows for more features than a Cisco Server. It is also set up so you can just use straigh-through cables to connect instead of a console cable or the required Cisco Octal Cable (if using the Cisco). I also access my lab from the couch with a laptop thanks to it.

Here is a great thread about this Device.

The best part is that this device can be had for around $40-60 on ebay vs. $200+ for the much older Cisco method.

I also use a power management device that I also get to from the Access Server. Cost like $25 on ebay. I can keep all my cisco devices powered off. Then if I want to lab, I can ssh over the internet to the power distribution unit and enter commands to have it supply power out of its certain ports. Then I connect into the gear once it boots.

I also replaced all the fans in the gear to more silent ones.

Mind you, these 8 devices all came from ebay. And they were had for way way less than even the worst "kit".
    Buy individually. Look out for sellers selling 2 or 3 too as the price shipped for 2 may become better than 2 separate listings.
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • Options
    You also are right that CBT nuggets is much more dynamic. I'm glad they changed the instructor of the Net+ series to Keith Barker. The older Michael Shannon was a little less "enthused?". I just cant stand Keith Barkers voice cracking sometimes lol.

You'll have a much better time with Jeremy Ciaora. Watch this hilarious video about him please!

Also, In my first post of this thread. I mentioned Subnetting. I forgot to add the link. I corrected it. This is the link
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • Options
    BJ4ITBJ4IT Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    • The 2950 switches come in multiple flavors. Plain 8 or 12 port Standard Image ones and then the ones that can run the Enhanced Images (followed by a letter). Pick any one that can run the EI as which does matter to your studies. The only difference are the extra ports on the right side. They usually run the same price so choose the cheapest.
      • 2950T has 2 extra Gig ethernet ports. Clearly does not matter in your lab environment.
      • 2950G has 2 extra GBIC ports that do not matter in your lab environment.
      • 2950C has 2 extra fiber ports that once again do not matter.
    • Do not worry about the IOS versions on these as they cannot be upgraded any farther than 12.1 Enhanced I believe.
    • IF you wish to go into CCNP territory afterwards, replace one with a 3550 switch running its enhanced image. (EMI). It is a multilayer switch that can also work at layer3 (routing).
    For the Routers
    • If you want to use 26__xm routers, get whichever is cheapest (2610xm, 2620xm, 2611xm or 2621xm).
    • Sometimes the higher end models like the 2621xm and 2620xm are cheaper at times on ebay.
    • The 262_xm ones are just faster in processing but that is nothing you can notice in a home lab with only a few things connected. The 26_1xms also has an extra ethernet port which doesn't really matter.
    • Make sure you get them with 128mb ram and 32mb flash mem as minimum to be able to install IOS 12.4T. It is the recommended version for the exam as well as the highest ios these can run. Do not worry about IOS15 as it hasnt change much at all and it is the next one up from 12.4T. It also supports IPv6 if you get the advanced IOSes such as ios12.4T Advance Security etc. If the router does not already have these upgrades, you can easily upgrade this yourself for less than $10 bucks.
    • Do not get the non-XM version as these do not have expandable memory. Hence the "XM". These cannot run 12.4T.

The access server is a great device that can allow you to access any device you have connected to it.
    You access whatever gear you have connected to it by going through the Access Server.
    I definitely recommend getting one for cheap which I will tell you later. But first,

You can also have the access server on your home network. It is a Layer 3 device by nature. This allows you connect to it wirelessly or via ethernet using one cable vs 6.

This eliminates clutter with 6 usb cables that I used to use for example. Plus, every time you disconnected or move or power on or off a device, it would become hard to remember which port is which. So glad I have an access server. Devices like these are used in the real world for a reason. It offers management of your devices.

You use the single IP address of the access server and a layer 4 port that you can preconfigure. Something like 7001 for physical port 1, 7002 and so on.
    So for example, What this is what I type in linux terminal to connect to Router 1 that I preconfigured on the access server.
    "ssh root@192.168.0.2 -p 7001"

This creates the ssh connection to the access server and then it knows from the L4 port number that it needs to create a console session with what is on physical port 1. In this case Router 1.

All your devices will connect to the access server with console cable. Just to let you know. The lab network is disconnected from your actual network that the access server and your pc sit on which is great.

With some tinkering of your home router, You can remotely access your devices from any network. Such as work, starbucks, on vacation whatever. Real fun stuff.

I would recommend you stay away from the Cisco Access Servers. Or using any router with the addon card. It is super expensive with the special octal cables and all compared to what I do recommend.

I suggest the Digi CM32 or the Digi CM48. The only difference is max physical port numbers.
    This device is absolutely amazing. It has a graphical web interface thats super easy to use and allows for more features than a Cisco Server. It is also set up so you can just use straigh-through cables to connect instead of a console cable or the required Cisco Octal Cable (if using the Cisco). I also access my lab from the couch with a laptop thanks to it.

Here is a great thread about this Device.

The best part is that this device can be had for around $40-60 on ebay vs. $200+ for the much older Cisco method.

I also use a power management device that I also get to from the Access Server. Cost like $25 on ebay. I can keep all my cisco devices powered off. Then if I want to lab, I can ssh over the internet to the power distribution unit and enter commands to have it supply power out of its certain ports. Then I connect into the gear once it boots.

I also replaced all the fans in the gear to more silent ones.

Mind you, these 8 devices all came from ebay. And they were had for way way less than even the worst "kit".
    Buy individually. Look out for sellers selling 2 or 3 too as the price shipped for 2 may become better than 2 separate listings.

This reply is gold, thank you so much for your input. Quick question, I ordered three 3750 Switches, and three 2821 routers for my lab. I got the ASA that came included, but I dont believe I got the Digi Console, is this the access server they mention on the site?
    2015 Goals:
    CCENT
    CCNA
    CCNA Security
  • Options
    Thank you very much for your reply! This is a huge help!

Hey BJ4IT Where did you order your equipment from?

-Travis

• Options
    lol BJ4IT nice name.

Anyhow, yes it is the access server we all use here. Also, nice gear. Will definitely help you in your future endeavors. Wish I had that for the CCNP!
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • Options
    BJ4ITBJ4IT Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    lol BJ4IT nice name.

Anyhow, yes it is the access server we all use here. Also, nice gear. Will definitely help you in your future endeavors. Wish I had that for the CCNP!

Thanks! One last question, as I have Odoms "Boring" book, I guess im gonna have to pick up Lammle's and give it a shot. I dont mind the verbose wordiness if it means he'll help me internalize a subject.
    2015 Goals:
    CCENT
    CCNA
    CCNA Security