Options

Syracuse University Institute for Veterans -FREE certifications and training for Vets

orlandoflorlandofl Member Posts: 216 ■■■□□□□□□□
Wanted to share this (posted it on Facebook)

After half a decade of being out of the Army..i'm just now finding out about this...damn shame..
Syracuse University - Veterans Career Transition Program offers veterans the o​opportunity for free online boot camp style training in technical disciplines resulting in non credit certificates from the university and...get this...even pays for your exam costs....

Free training, free college certificates from Syracuse University, free practice exams, and free certification exams. Can someone please explain to me why this isn't mentioned in the Army's ridiculous ACAP (transition) program? This is beyond belief.

Training and certs cover multiple Microsoft exams, All the CompTIA's, (ISC)2 SSCP and CISSP as well as Cisco's CCENT and CCNA, just to name a few. There are many, many more to choose from. Wish I would have known about this before coming out of pocket for all my CompTIA certifications!

http://vets.syr.edu/education/employment-programs/

(Two tracks one is the tech track where you have a year of their services, the other is the self study track where you have six months of services.)

HURRY!!!!~ The tech track application is due by May 25th for summer admission (admission happens quarterly)

• Education: B.A. Criminal Justice - Thomas Edison State University
  • Education: Undergraduate Certificate in Microsoft Server Administration - St. Petersburg College
  • Currently Working On: MCSA - Windows 10
  • Planned Certifications for 2017: MCSE - Mobility
  • Connect With Me On LinkedIn:https://www.linkedin.com/in/travisebyrd

Comments

• Options
    colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Who cares if you been out 5 years, I have been out since 2006 and am in it now for the PMP. Started last month, right went work went bananas, so I may not be able to finish, if I can't even get time to start. It's also available to spouses.
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
  • Options
    Who cares if you been out 5 years, I have been out since 2006 and am in it now for the PMP.
    I guess I do?? The program was started in 2011. What was meant by the comment is that I think I should have known or been aware of such a great program earlier....or that the Army in some way should educate soldiers who are separating from service on the benefits of the program (read an article on LinkedIn where lots of newly separated soldiers are still completely unaware of the program). Thanks for the comment...I think?

-Travis
    • Education: Undergraduate Certificate in Microsoft Server Administration - St. Petersburg College
  • Options
    eansdadeansdad Member Posts: 775 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I love that they are doing something for vets but why does everything have to be post 9/11 vets now? Every vet program like this now has a requirement for post 9/11 and basically says screw you to all of us non-9/11 vets.
  • Options
    colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    orlandofl wrote: »
    I guess I do?? The program was started in 2011. What was meant by the comment is that I think I should have known or been aware of such a great program earlier....or that the Army in some way should educate soldiers who are separating from service on the benefits of the program (read an article on LinkedIn where lots of newly separated soldiers are still completely unaware of the program). Thanks for the comment...I think?

-Travis

My bad - I mistook what you were saying... I thought you were saying that since you had been out for 5 years, you couldn't apply/be accepted into the program, and you regretted not knowing about it sooner to be eligible. ACAS (I think that is the acronym?) may not even know about it - I found out about it through here. I suspect that every branch's transition assistance program is not very standardized, and most likely varies greatly from location to location.
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Well you can't exactly fault the Army for not advertising it. It would be a nightmare trying to keep track of every program available at every educational institute in the US. As an example, Drexel has a yellow ribbon program where they take your 9/11 GI Bill and cover whatever is left thus you get a Drexel education for free (I guess free is really a relative word because obviously you paid into the GI Bill and made a sacrifice serving our country). Really no different then a civilian not knowing all the programs available to them, sometimes you gotta do some research on your own.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    colemic wrote: »
    My bad - I mistook what you were saying... I thought you were saying that since you had been out for 5 years, you couldn't apply/be accepted into the program, and you regretted not knowing about it sooner to be eligible. ACAS (I think that is the acronym?) may not even know about it - I found out about it through here. I suspect that every branch's transition assistance program is not very standardized, and most likely varies greatly from location to location.

No problem at all. I agree that most branch transition programs aren't standardized. I think standardizing a unified transition program that spans all branches would streamline information and serve to educate more veterans. Thanks you for your reply.

-Travis
  • Options
    Robertf969Robertf969 Member Posts: 190
    Thanks for the INFO! Although I echo everyone else with saying it shouldn't be all on the army to tell us about these programs, they go over a lot, and at ACAP they do tell you to do your research because there is so much out there that they don't cover. There is a lot of benefits out there for us, we just gotta do the homework and take charge of our own careers.
  • Options
    Robertf969 wrote: »
    Thanks for the INFO! Although I echo everyone else with saying it shouldn't be all on the army to tell us about these programs, they go over a lot, and at ACAP they do tell you to do your research because there is so much out there that they don't cover. There is a lot of benefits out there for us, we just gotta do the homework and take charge of our own careers.

I agree to an extent. I thought ACAP was an absolute waste of time. I remember BS programs that were 'hotline' based and other nonsense being thrown around. I do not remember a program like this being talked about, and that was my point. They should (in my opinion) forego the BS formalities..and concentrate on programs that matter and that have real value.

This program has the ability to allow vets to earn credentials that would allow them real job prospects. I think that means something and I'd like to see the Army concentrate more on programs of value, as opposed to trying to stuff a million different phone number, hotlines, and less than adequate services down services member's throats.

-Travis
  • Options
    So I applied for the self study program and got accepted imediatly. Was kinda bummed when I realized the actual classes were the Skillsoft classes. I have already completed the skillsoft CCNA but I am doing it again through the program for the free voucher so that's a plus :) I don't think the Skillsoft classes are nearly enough material to pass a certification exam but they area good start.
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    Skillsoft? I had free access to that a decade ago via my AKO and Army e-Learning accounts.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    Moongoon762Moongoon762 Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I went through the Coast Guards version of ACAP last month and the instructor did mention it but didn't know much about it. Luckily, I was already accepted and was able to share some information with the class thanks to a member on these boards! My first class is with introductory IT certs (A+, Network+, Server+) and since I was already self studying, I was able to test out 3/4 of the material. There is an overwhelming amount of material available in the curriculum.

There were 280 people in the online orientation, and I'd imagine there were quite a few who didn't attend. I was really surprised at the number when I logged in. The personnel running the show mentioned the majority of the people enrolled were in it for the PMP exam.
  • Options
    Rumblr33Rumblr33 Member Posts: 99 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The free voucher alone is worth signing up. I am signing up for the SSCP course independent track, just need to get a letter from my supervisor.
  • Options
    as far as the letter from the supervisor I just typed it, handed it to my supervisor and said "hey sir sign this". It was really generic and they approved it.
  • Options
    DimebagDimebag Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I heard it is an Awesome Program. I Just retired from the U.S. Air Force. I first heard about this while attending TAPS class. I was already enrolled into a Florida program for veterans through the UWF IT Academy. Just earned my Network + and now studying Security +. I plan on using this course after I complete Security plus for my CCNA or CISSP
  • Options
    thisdudehenrythisdudehenry Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Just received my acceptance and now prepping up for Net+ 005
  • Options
    TranceSoulBrotherTranceSoulBrother Member Posts: 215
    It says that you have to be within 18 months of transition.
    What is this letter that you guys mention? Someone certifying that you're in transition?

What if someone is a little far away from transition but currently studying for these certs?

Additionally, if anyone is interested, Wounded Warrior Project has a program for wounded warriors that provides training/voucher for A+/Net+/Sec+ as well.
  • Options
    Eston21Eston21 Member Posts: 76 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Do you have a link for the Wounded Warrior Project program?
  • Options
    thisdudehenrythisdudehenry Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    It says that you have to be within 18 months of transition.
    What is this letter that you guys mention? Someone certifying that you're in transition?

What if someone is a little far away from transition but currently studying for these certs?

Additionally, if anyone is interested, Wounded Warrior Project has a program for wounded warriors that provides training/voucher for A+/Net+/Sec+ as well.

When signing up they have a DD214 request and just a letter stating you are allowed to take this program. All I did was type up a letter saying I am authorized to take this program because it will not interfere with work and had my supervisor sign it.
  • Options
    You don't need the DD214 if you are still in. Just the letter, mine was generic and I received my acceptance the next day.
  • Options
    TranceSoulBrotherTranceSoulBrother Member Posts: 215
    Transition Training Academy | Wounded Warrior Project
    You will have to register as alumni with them. You don't have to be out out of the miliatary per se.