802 Passed- CompTIA Trinity Complete

orlandoflorlandofl Member Posts: 216 ■■■□□□□□□□
The CompTIA trinity is complete, and lessons have certainly been learned! I took the 801 exam with just a few days of study and did well. I took the 802 exam without studying at all…and failed with a 68. I then studied off and on for a few days (admittedly not enough, probably 3 hours at best) and passed with a 72 today.

I was thinking driving home from the testing center…what if I would have failed for a second time? What if my arrogance towards the A+ exam had cost me $268 dollars? (Certmaster-voucher combo) I would have felt like a total douchebag and I’m sure my wife would have been PO’d for throwing money away. Coming from already having passed Net+ and Security+ I suppose I didn’t take A+ seriously.

I suppose my purpose of this moral rant is just to say to anyone who might be circling back around to A+ after already having other certifications completed, you might want to study…or it could be an expensive lesson learned!

Onward forth to the CCENT/CCNA exams!

-Travis
  • Education: B.A. Criminal Justice - Thomas Edison State University
  • Education: Undergraduate Certificate in Microsoft Server Administration - St. Petersburg College
  • Currently Working On: MCSA - Windows 10
  • Planned Certifications for 2017: MCSE - Mobility
  • Connect With Me On LinkedIn:https://www.linkedin.com/in/travisebyrd

Comments

• NtengNteng Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    congrat !! i just passed 801 today and now im going to study for the 802 exam. I know they are expensive exams but i guess it looks good on the resume.

Good luck on CISCO certs !
  • H3||scr3amH3||scr3am Member Posts: 564 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congratulations on completing your A+ and CompTIA trinity :D Best of luck on your CCENT!
  • KandinskyKandinsky Member Posts: 108 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congratulations! Yeah, the 802 isn't quite as easy as people think it is. I'm working on my "trinity" now too, Security+ being the last piece of it. I've learned not to underestimate ANY exam. I took 4 of the Microsoft MTA exams which are supposed to be even easier than CompTIA and I still put aside time to study. You never know what question is going to get put on the test. But I digress, congrats again and good luck on the Cisco exams!
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats!!
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • guy9guy9 Banned Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations
  • josephrichjosephrich Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations, that was almost a 268 dollar lesson learned. Orlandofl if you don't mind me asking. Why did you choose the ccent/ccna? What is the difficulty? How is the job opportunity? What were your other choices?
    Thank you for your time and good luck on your journey. Study more next time not that you needed it.
  • Armitron77Armitron77 Member Posts: 134 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats on completing the CompTIA Trinity. That's what I am trying to do myself. I'm studying the Network+ and then the Security+. Anyway, congrats again on completing the triple crown (A+/Network+/Security+) of CompTIA certifications. icon_thumright.gif
    Bachelor of Science Degree in Computer & Network Security
    Associate in Applied Science Degree in Network Management
    Associate in Applied Science Degree in Network Management/Cyber Security
    CompTIA A+ Certified | CE, CompTIA Network+ Certified | CE

2016 Goals: CCENT/CCNA Routing & Switching COLOR=#008000][B]IN PROGRESS[/B][/COLOR/CompTIA Security+ COLOR=#008000][B]IN PROGRESS[/B][/COLOR
  • joep8761joep8761 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Can I ask a question about subnetting please. I can't figure it out..
  • orlandoflorlandofl Member Posts: 216 ■■■□□□□□□□
    josephrich wrote: »
    Congratulations, that was almost a 268 dollar lesson learned. Orlandofl if you don't mind me asking. Why did you choose the ccent/ccna? What is the difficulty? How is the job opportunity? What were your other choices?
    Thank you for your time and good luck on your journey. Study more next time not that you needed it.

Thank you for your reply. So to answer your question I'm doing my certifications partly on Darril Gibson's recommendations as well as my own thoughts. When I first started my certs I stumbled across this:

What is the Best Security Certification Path - Get Certified Get Ahead | Get Certified Get Ahead
    • CompTIA Network+
    • CompTIA Security+
    • (ISC)2 SSCP
    • (ISC)2 CISSP

Darril recommended these certifications for those looking to go into the security field and it really made sense to me. I decided to go one step further than Network+ and do the CCENT and CCNA exams for two reasons. One the SSCP and CISSP exams recently changed, there aren't any study materials available yet. I emailed Darril he indicated his SSCP book would be available with the new exam blueprint revisions June/July time frame. Also, I wanted to get a better understanding of networking. The security field seems to be heavily based on networking as that is how most attacks occur. Okay,so I have three reasons :D Reason number three: to broaden my job prospects. Security is anything but entry level and I think if i'm able to get my CCNA and work in a NOC environment I would be able to leverage the experience and break into security in a year or two. At least that's the plan. I'm in a veteran program that agreed to pay for Certified Ethical Hacker so i'll be adding that to my credentials this year as well.

Best of luck!

-Travis
    • Education: Undergraduate Certificate in Microsoft Server Administration - St. Petersburg College
  • orlandoflorlandofl Member Posts: 216 ■■■□□□□□□□
    joep8761 wrote: »
    Can I ask a question about subnetting please. I can't figure it out..

You may want to check out Network+/CCENT/CCNA forums
  • KandinskyKandinsky Member Posts: 108 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hey Travis I sent you a pm, not sure if it went through or not. Let me know when you get a chance. Thanks.