Is this a good cert path?

drumguydrumguy Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi. I've done web programming and related stuff mostly as a hobby but with some jobs for the last 10 or 15 years. I want to get a real job doing IT. I figure I'll start with some certs that would support my claim that I can do (at least) PHP development and have related knowledge of the stack involved in web development. I think I would also maybe like to focus more on the security side in the future, so I want to create an initial path that will be flexible.

I'm thinking, for starters of getting network+, security+, linux+ powered by lpi and Zend Certified PHP Engineer. Then I could maybe get the CISSP or whatever other, better certs later.

Do you think this is a wise decision? If not, why.

Comments

• iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Before you get any notions on a path, I encourage you to actually go job boards like indeed.com and look at what entry level jobs are demanding for skills then develop a path from there.
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • PupilPupil Member Posts: 168
    I've never heard of certs for programming languages holding any weight especially for a cruddy language like PHP.
  • techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Comp Sci degree and a portfolio is the holy grail for programmers, I don't know a programmer that has developer certs and they don't care to get any. It's a field where you can and should show your talent pre-hire.

For security that sounds like a good path. However if you've never held a support/admin/engineer position I'd suggest A+ first to improve your chances of getting in the field.
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
  • drumguydrumguy Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    techfiend wrote: »
    Comp Sci degree and a portfolio is the holy grail for programmers, I don't know a programmer that has developer certs and they don't care to get any. It's a field where you can and should show your talent pre-hire.

For security that sounds like a good path. However if you've never held a support/admin/engineer position I'd suggest A+ first to improve your chances of getting in the field.

I might switch the PHP cert to A+, to reinforce chances for support/admin/engineer. That and just work on producing more code in scripting languages(and maybe c/c++) that deal with admin, security and web development. Thanks, people.
    Which one of these sounds more interesting?

A. Create ways to meet requirements, work with the same sources on a daily basis, that you constantly try to improve, mastering a language.. Regularly perform complex math. At times may not accomplish anything for days but have the patience to persist on fixing the issue. Often work alone with occasional checkups.

B. Regular change in duty/environment, constantly learning. Breaking into systems and restricting access to systems. Occasionally writing scripts or simple programs. Often accomplish things on a daily basis. Usually work with others in one form or another. Security field is very broad so tough to generalize.
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
    which one of these sounds more interesting?

A. Create ways to meet requirements, work with the same sources on a daily basis, that you constantly try to improve, mastering a language.. Regularly perform complex math. At times may not accomplish anything for days but have the patience to persist on fixing the issue. Often work alone with occasional checkups.

B. Regular change in duty/environment, constantly learning. Breaking into systems and restricting access to systems. Occasionally writing scripts or simple programs. Often accomplish things on a daily basis. Usually work with others in one form or another. Security field is very broad so tough to generalize.

b.

I'd prioritize A+ then Sec+ then, net+ optional if you want to take smaller steps. Sec+ is very passable without net+ though. Linux+ is another comptia cert that should help. Once you have some experience you'll have to decide what security domain you want to pursue and get certified. Then go back to programming to develop a portfolio of security related programs. It probably doesn't matter much which language but knowing at least a common scripting language and a functional language. You won't be programming on a daily basis but having the ability to program is very helpful, especially at the higher levels.
    I'd prioritize A+ then Sec+ then, net+ optional if you want to take smaller steps. Sec+ is very passable without net+ though. Linux+ is another comptia cert that should help. Once you have some experience you'll have to decide what security domain you want to pursue and get certified. Then go back to programming to develop a portfolio of security related programs. It probably doesn't matter much which language but knowing at least a common scripting language and a functional language. You won't be programming on a daily basis but having the ability to program is very helpful, especially at the higher levels.

Thanks a lot for the help! I'm already reading the network+ cert guide by Barker and Wallace so I'll probably go ahead and finish it up since it doesn't seem that difficult and I'm already comfortable with some of it(on the software/logical/abstraction side). But because of your input I might skip the cert/exam. I'll probably also focus more of my scripting on Python and Perl and less on PHP as those two are used more for admin/system tasks -- and maybe play around with Scheme or something similar for functional experience and a bit of a mind warp.
  • kiki162kiki162 Member Posts: 635 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Sounds like you are more into the web dev. route. BTW, no one really cares for the PHP cert. You want something with an ROI, and a good job market in your area.

If you want to use the programming side, get more into the Python/Ruby/Perl arena. Once you get good with that, you could use that in the information security side of the house. You could do CISSP, but the CSSLP would be better. I think some of the SANS certifications would be a little more beneficial if you want to stay more on the programming side.

Drum - The bigger question is, where do you see yourself. What would be your dream role.
    kiki162 wrote: »
    Sounds like you are more into the web dev. route. BTW, no one really cares for the PHP cert. You want something with an ROI, and a good job market in your area.

If you want to use the programming side, get more into the Python/Ruby/Perl arena. Once you get good with that, you could use that in the information security side of the house. You could do CISSP, but the CSSLP would be better. I think some of the SANS certifications would be a little more beneficial if you want to stay more on the programming side.

Thanks for the advice!

kiki162 wrote: »
    Drum - The bigger question is, where do you see yourself. What would be your dream role.

Honestly, I kind of see myself like Hugh Jackman in Swordfish or Neo in The Matrix. LOL. Let's face it, hackers are sexy, even if the real life job isn't like the movies.

Edit: That's a corny answer, sorry. :)
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    drumguy wrote: »
    Honestly, I kind of see myself like Hugh Jackman in Swordfish or Neo in The Matrix. LOL. Let's face it, hackers are sexy, even if the real life job isn't like the movies.

oh it is exactly like the movies! hot girls and fancy matrix code flying all over the place! expect nothing less!