Options

Resume Advice

About7NarwhalAbout7Narwhal Member Posts: 761
Hey all,

I think it is about time I work on my resume and I need a little bit of help. Here is the situation:
  • I have worked for the same company for almost 3 years
  • I have officially changed titles once:
    • Job Title A
    • Job Title B
  • Within Job Title B I have taken two high level responsibility changes:
    • Job Title B
    • Job Title B + Lead for Responsibility A
    • Job Title B + Lead for Responsibility A + Lead for Responsibility B
With those responsibility changes, I maintain my Job Title responsibilities. The lead responsibility is generally primary support for a specific department/location and is considered a large responsibility within my company.

Here is the question:
What is the best way to list these changes? Job Title A and Job Title B can be separate entries because they are totally different jobs, but Responsibilities within the Title B do not come with any change in official title.

My Current Resume Experience layout is as follows:

Company Name, Location (Date aligned to the right of the page)
Job Title
1-3 sentence summary of the job (summary of my responsibilities)
1-5 bullet points on the position (key points of my position)

Any advice would be helpful.

Comments

• Options
    bump... sure is lonely in here.
  • Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    To me - 2 different titles/roles means 2 different jobs so I would do this:

Company Name, Location (Date aligned to the right of the page)
    Job Title 2
    Job Title 1

Reason for this format is that it demonstrates progression within the company.
  • Options
    techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
    As someone dealing with the same thing, separating them makes sense to show progression.
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
  • Options
    I agree that separate titles should roll under a single company to show progression OR they should be broken into two completely different entries. The problem is that these responsibilities I undertook in addition to my normal job duties did not change my title. I guess I could add those responsibilities as bullet points for the position.

So it would be like this:

Company, loc, date
    Job Title
    Summary of position
    bullet point indicating special assignment (Responsibility A)
    bullet point indicating special assignment (Responsibility B)

If I do that though, it seems like I should drop the bullet points for my other jobs as I did not have any special assignments.

Alternatively, I could put the Job Title: Lead for Responsibility A but then I would have 3 entries within the single company showing their start date to present.

Let me know if my explanation has been unclear.
  • Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I think I understand the explanation. My short response would be that if your title did not formally change, you shouldn't list it as a separate job entry.
  • Options
    That works. I will list all jobs within the same company under the same company heading, but break out the official title changes into sub-groups. I will list the responsibility additions as extra bullet points within the position in question. I'll probably post something up before I start using it. We will see.

Thanks for the input.