Options

Western Governors University Questions and Answers / Threads related to WGU

Comments

• Options
    gex598gex598 Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Just and FYI if anyone is planning on doing Linux+ do it now or you will have to wait 4-5 months to do it. Comptia is retiring the first set of exams and you cannot combine one exam from the first and one from the new series. WGU does not have an updated course as of yet. I just started a term May 1st and my mentor did not want to put Linux+ on this term since the exams are retiring August 30th, but made him add them to this term anyway.
  • Options
    ElegyxElegyx Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    gex598 wrote: »
    Just and FYI if anyone is planning on doing Linux+ do it now or you will have to wait 4-5 months to do it. Comptia is retiring the first set of exams and you cannot combine one exam from the first and one from the new series. WGU does not have an updated course as of yet. I just started a term May 1st and my mentor did not want to put Linux+ on this term since the exams are retiring August 30th, but made him add them to this term anyway.

VERY interesting. I started May 1st as well so do you think it's a better idea to have my mentor add Linux+ this first term for me instead of waiting for the 2nd term?
  • Options
    gex598gex598 Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    That would be up to you. I will only have CCNA Sec and the capstone after this term. I did not want to push Linux+ to the next term. I know my way around Linux and think 6 weeks of study for each exam is plenty. If you do not know much linux I would consider waiting.
  • Options
    NemowolfNemowolf Member Posts: 319 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Well that is good to know and I will bring that up with my mentor as I am on my last term coming up and thats one of my classes. Will now have to apply for another financial aide term because it sounds dicey.
  • Options
    gex598 wrote: »

I spoke with my Mentor last night and he informed me that all mentors are being advised to not add Linux+ for students next term. In my case where it is hopefully my last term, he said that they will add the course the new version of the course which should be available sep 1. Any student who is not 100% confident of completing both the tests by aug 31 are advised to avoid the classes. I am going through my financial aide just in case this turns into a disaster and i end up having to extend into next year.
  • Options
    TotinoTotino Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    For those who have or are going for IT Security, I had a question about exams. I plan to start in July. I was sent an email talking about Pearson vue, prometric, and certiport. I travel a lot for work, sometimes overseas for a month or so. Do any of the classes require you to test at prometric or certiport?

I should be able to do all of the IT certs at Pearson vue, so I am just curious about the other classes and exams. Pearson vues are easily accessible, even in the foreign countries I travel to, so if I can do everything there, I'd be set.
  • Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Totino wrote: »
    For those who have or are going for IT Security, I had a question about exams. I plan to start in July. I was sent an email talking about Pearson vue, prometric, and certiport. I travel a lot for work, sometimes overseas for a month or so. Do any of the classes require you to test at prometric or certiport?

I should be able to do all of the IT certs at Pearson vue, so I am just curious about the other classes and exams. Pearson vues are easily accessible, even in the foreign countries I travel to, so if I can do everything there, I'd be set.

I'm finishing up the IT Security degree and everything I've done is Pearson Vue. Cisco and CompTIA both go through those. I'd double check with enrollment though in case the programs have added anything.
  • Options
    swattz101swattz101 Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Totino wrote: »
    For those who have or are going for IT Security, [...] Do any of the classes require you to test at prometric or certiport

The Microsoft MTA exams were at Certiport, though WGU seems to have gotten rid of them in the Security Track. It looks like only the Network track still has Microsoft MCSA exams, so you should be good.
  • Options
    JasionoJasiono Member Posts: 896 ■■■■□□□□□□
    What course has the Linux+ Cert?

My mentor opened everything up for me to finish this term. I started 2 weeks ago again to finish up about 35 credits.

I have the following courses left and I never took Linux+:
    CCNA courses
    Business of IT - Applications (C179)
    Project Management (C176)
    And the Capstone project
  • Options
    Jasiono wrote: »

My mentor opened everything up for me to finish this term. I started 2 weeks ago again to finish up about 35 credits.

CCNA courses
    And the Capstone project

IT Security is the only track that has Linux+. What did you do? Possible that you got it waived somehow if you are in that track.
  • Options
    markulous wrote: »
    IT Security is the only track that has Linux+. What did you do? Possible that you got it waived somehow if you are in that track.
    I have no idea how. Here is an email I sent to my mentor, and her reply is right after it. I know for sure that I did not take that exam and I saw it as a requirement before I stopped going to WGU. I recently started back to knock out the remainder of my couple courses to get my degree. I think that maybe the new catalog removed that class.

I was actually looking forward to it but hey, that's one less class for me to worry about!
    MyEmail wrote:
    Hi Deborah,

Tossing you a quick email before I head to the gym.

I was wondering if I am taking a Linux+ cert exam at all? The reason I ask is because a lot of people I know said that mentors were asked not to put it into the current term because the Linux+ cert is expiring, and that everyone should wait until next term to add it back since there is no material for the new exam yet.

If that is true and I still have to take Linux+, would I be able to do that sooner than later?

I don't think I have to, I looked at the remainder of my courses and didn't see it, but just in case I missed it. There is a possibility of them being in a different catalog as well.

Thanks!

Her response:
    Response wrote:
    Hello Jason,
    You don’t have Linux in your degree plan at all. It depends on what you transferred into WGU makes the difference of what is on your degree plan.
  • Options
    JamesKurtovichJamesKurtovich Member Posts: 195

CCNA courses
    And the Capstone project

No Linux+ there. Linux+ is Operating Systems I and Operating Systems II and it's part of the IT Security program.

Anyone have any experience with C168 (Critical Thinking and Logic)? I've been looking forward to it but the Course Chatter has me nervous. Apparently it's one of the more challenging courses.
  • Options
    GSXR750K2GSXR750K2 Member Posts: 323 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Anyone have any experience with C168 (Critical Thinking and Logic)? I've been looking forward to it but the Course Chatter has me nervous. Apparently it's one of the more challenging courses.

For some reason I'm thinking it may be CLC1 (Reasoning and Problem Solving) under a new name. If so, it was relatively straight forward...remove your assumptions, look at things objectively, use evidence to support conclusions, etc. See if these sound familiar in the competencies...

- The graduate analyzes open-ended problems by learning about the problem and evaluating the accuracy and relevance of different perspectives on the problem.

- The graduate evaluates different sources representing a range of perspectives on a problem in order to weigh the implications and consequences of different solutions to the problem.

- The graduate identifies internal and external biases and assumptions related to a problem, and evaluates the influence and validity of these biases and assumptions.

- The graduate synthesizes information to understand a problem’s complexities and potential solutions, and then evaluates the reasoning and evidence in support of these different solutions.

There are a few more, but that should indicate if it is the same or a similar course. I didn't spend any time on it, got a 70 on the PA and took the OA a couple of days later (old, three day scheduling window thing). Cut score was 60 on that one.
  • Options
    ChadiusChadius Member Posts: 313 ■■■□□□□□□□
    My mentor sent me an excel spreadsheet for the changes to all of the programs. Does anyone need it?
  • Options
    CodyyCodyy Member Posts: 223 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Chadius wrote: »
    My mentor sent me an excel spreadsheet for the changes to all of the programs. Does anyone need it?

Can you PM it? Thanks!
  • Options
    I have no idea how. Here is an email I sent to my mentor, and her reply is right after it. I know for sure that I did not take that exam and I saw it as a requirement before I stopped going to WGU. I recently started back to knock out the remainder of my couple courses to get my degree. I think that maybe the new catalog removed that class.

I was actually looking forward to it but hey, that's one less class for me to worry about!

Her response:

You are able to look at the classes that are passed as well as transferred in on your wgu portal. Operating systems 1 and 2 should be there.
  • Options
    TheChameleonTheChameleon Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I haven't enrolled yet so it would be nice to have all the programs in Excel form to compare.

Thanks!
  • Options
    TheChameleonTheChameleon Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Which program are you in? I was wondering about the quote "It depends on what you transferred into WGU". So if you take a program that doesn't require Linux+ and you already have the cert, you can get credit for other classes?

Response wrote:
    Hello Jason,
    You don’t have Linux in your degree plan at all. It depends on what you transferred into WGU makes the difference of what is on your degree plan.
  • Options
    thisdudehenrythisdudehenry Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□

I wouldnt mind a copy as well
  • Options
    jak096jak096 Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Yes, I would like copy. I start June 1st in IT Sec.
  • Options
    Which program are you in? I was wondering about the quote "It depends on what you transferred into WGU". So if you take a program that doesn't require Linux+ and you already have the cert, you can get credit for other classes?
    Not sure what the question is honestly.
    If you have a cert that isn't within your degree program it does nothing for you and you can't count it toward another course with a different cert.

Security is what I'm in. Hang on and I'll get you a screenshot of what transferred and what classes I need, maybe that will answer your question. Keep in mind that my transferred courses are from my associates in applied science from my local community college.
  • Options
    Nevermind, the screenshots won't post up in a proper fashion.

markulous wrote: »
    You are able to look at the classes that are passed as well as transferred in on your wgu portal. Operating systems 1 and 2 should be there.

It's not. Operating Systems 1 is in there and that was my MCTS exam, there is no number 2.

Reasoning and Problem Solving - CLC1Language and Communication: Essay - LAE1
    Web Development Fundamentals - DFV1
    IT Fundamentals III - CPV1
    Geography - BVC1
    Integrated Natural Science - INC1
    Communications Foundations - BBC1
    Quantitative Literacy: Quantitative Problem Solving and Applications - QLT1
    IT Fundamentals I - WFV1
    Software Development Fundamentals - DJV1
    Language and Communication: Presentation - LUT1
    Database Fundamentals - CVV1
    Foundations of College Mathematics - AGC1
    IT Fundamentals II - AXV1
    Finite Mathematics Applications - HHT1
    Finite Mathematics - GAC1
    Language and Communication: Research - QBT1
    Integrated Natural Science Applications - INT1
    Windows OS Fundamentals - DHV1
    Windows Server Admin Fundamentals - DIV1
    Network and Security - Foundations - C172
    Security Fundamentals - DEV1
    Scripting and Programming - Foundations - C173
  • Options
    JamesKurtovichJamesKurtovich Member Posts: 195
    GSXR750K2 wrote: »
    For some reason I'm thinking it may be CLC1 (Reasoning and Problem Solving) under a new name. If so, it was relatively straight forward...remove your assumptions, look at things objectively, use evidence to support conclusions, etc. See if these sound familiar in the competencies...

- The graduate analyzes open-ended problems by learning about the problem and evaluating the accuracy and relevance of different perspectives on the problem.

- The graduate evaluates different sources representing a range of perspectives on a problem in order to weigh the implications and consequences of different solutions to the problem.

- The graduate identifies internal and external biases and assumptions related to a problem, and evaluates the influence and validity of these biases and assumptions.

- The graduate synthesizes information to understand a problem’s complexities and potential solutions, and then evaluates the reasoning and evidence in support of these different solutions.

There are a few more, but that should indicate if it is the same or a similar course. I didn't spend any time on it, got a 70 on the PA and took the OA a couple of days later (old, three day scheduling window thing). Cut score was 60 on that one.

It sounds like these courses are very similar. Here are the competancies for C168:
    • Competency 1007.1.1: Basic Concepts
      The graduate applies conceptual foundations of logic and critical thinking to patterns of thinking and reasoning.
    • Competency 1007.1.2: Logic and Validity
      The graduate evaluates arguments, demonstrating validity through application of formal logic and methods.
    • Competency 1007.1.3: Logic and Critical Thinking
      The graduate evaluates sophisticated types of reasoning through the concepts and methods of logic and critical thinking.

And it looks like this might be a WGU exclusive (all content is through WGU).
  • Options
    vmixervmixer Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Kind of a stupid questions but did any of you start your classes before you spoke with your mentor and technically enrolled?

I finished EWOB on Friday, paid my tuition and noticed and my degree plan opened up. My start date is June 1 but Id like to use the next two weeks to start grinding on the GE classes (I only came in with 3cu)

I saw the tasks for DIT1 (Eng 101) got to work. I have rough drafts for the first three tasks, I'd like to do the 4th tomorrow at work :)

Will this be frowned upon by my mentor? When I have my initial talk with them, should I tell them I am already working on tasks? I also took two pre-assesments and scored above the cut limit. Does that mean when I start I can go right to the final?

I actually see Student Services is open Sundays! I wasn't expecting that being that they are based out of Utah. I was in SLC a few years ago and the entire city shuts down on Sunday.
  • Options
    techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
    My CM encouraged studying before starting. I think you should be fine and I get the sense they like fast trackers, less work for them.
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
  • Options
    Linux + is not only in the Networking Track as i am in the general track and have that next term as well.
  • Options
    techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Just read news on the summer commencement ceremony. Has anyone attended the national one in Orlando or Salt Lake City? Is any of the flight, hotel, cap/gown, etc covered by wgu?
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
  • Options
    TLeTourneauTLeTourneau Member Posts: 616 ■■■■■■■■□□
    techfiend wrote: »
    Just read news on the summer commencement ceremony. Has anyone attended the national one in Orlando or Salt Lake City? Is any of the flight, hotel, cap/gown, etc covered by wgu?

It is all at the students expense, hey do have discounts with hotels and car rental companies.
    Thanks, Tom

M.S. - Cybersecurity and Information Assurance
    B.S: IT - Network Design & Management
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    Any military folks have success with scholarships and grants? Recommend a good resource to use?
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    ChadiusChadius Member Posts: 313 ■■■□□□□□□□