Options

I guess I'm vSphere 6.0 now....

DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
So I swear I asked Dell to send me the licensing for VMware 5.5 but in normal fashion they sent me Enterprise Plus 6.0 licensing. I was waiting and waiting for the keys and then I screamed at them for it. I was using my VMUG keys since Dell was slow with the e-licensing. ....the things I do so the project wasn't delayed!

My cluster is 5.5 at work.

Just cause I haven't dealt with 6.0 yet the upgrade the process is still....

1. VUM - didn't get to install it yet - so don't need to do this.
2. vCenter.
3. ESXi hosts.
4. VM tools.

See I just didn't want to do 6.0 yet because it's still buggy...

pondering if I should make Dell just give me 5.5 licensing or say frack it and go to 6.0. I'm pondering about downgrading the license to 5.5 for now...

Thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I'll be waiting another 6-12 months for vSphere 6.0 because I really don't like testing vSphere on my production environment for VMware.

Check the HCL and backups backups backups if you do upgrade.
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • Options
    iBrokeIT wrote: »
    I'll be waiting another 6-12 months for vSphere 6.0 because I really don't like testing vSphere on my production environment for VMware.

Check the HCL and backups backups backups if you do upgrade.

^my thoughts exactly...
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    For years vSphere was always the most expensive Beta software out there :p
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    joelsfoodjoelsfood Member Posts: 1,027 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Get your 5.5 keys. Don't use 6 in production yet.
  • Options
    Whelp took probably the smarter approach and downgraded to 5.5 - would much rather upgrade my home-cluster with 6 and test it out before doing it live.
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Unless your home lab reflects vendors and configs used in your production environment, the test is likely nice but not really meaningful. I have upgraded and installed vCAC / vRA in my lab countless times and for two weeks we are trying to do the same at a customer's site without success. To a point where people even wonder if I ever done it lol
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    jibbajabba wrote: »
    Unless your home lab reflects vendors and configs used in your production environment, the test is likely nice but not really meaningful. I have upgraded and installed vCAC / vRA in my lab countless times and for two weeks we are trying to do the same at a customer's site without success. To a point where people even wonder if I ever done it lol

"What we have here is failure to communicate" icon_lol.gif

Luckily I haven't run into a instance were planning and implementing **** and it doesn't work, it normally works the 1st time. I do on occasion get those things that drive me bonkers and I do this a few times crash.gifcrash.gifcrash.gif and then I figure it out <3 google and I'm all icon_bounce.gif ...

Home-lab is pretty darn close to live, I have so many switches/externals/ap's/servers/LCD's/firewalls in my closet it's nutso and I have 2 Wyse C10Le stations in my basement I use for 'client' testing. I got about 2000 ft of cat5e wiring in my house... icon_wink.gif ... I did the math once with all the stuff in my rack and my 'inventory' in the storage closet I have close to $35k worth of hardware. Licensing from Microsoft I have from 3 years ago when I was taking the MCSA exams I bought a Microsoft Volume license with 20 seats of pretty much everything, 2008 R2 still suffices...lets just say this shits only on during weekends cause my electric bill reflects it. lol!
  • Options
    WagnaardWagnaard Member Posts: 124
    Going live with a massive VDI project with vSphere 6 and View 6 this summer. Go me!
  • Options
    DigitalZeroOneDigitalZeroOne Member Posts: 234 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Have you logged into your account to see if you can downgrade the keys in the licensing area on VMware's site?