Price point for a position

2»

Comments

• TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I do this currently and it is killing me. I learned a lot at my current position and I used to love going to work. Now I am going through the motions, burned out with the ridiculous situations my employer keeps putting me in. I somehow feel cheated with my compensation vs the amount of work I do.

Someone earlier said there are plenty of jobs if new companies cannot pay the requested amount but I don't see that in Knoxville. Trying to move from Desktop Support into a Jr. Admin position has proven harder than transitioning from my construction job into Information Technology.

As for pay disclosure, maybe I just don't sit at the same level in my career as you folks or perhaps I am being unreasonable with my current pay (~30K) but I do find a huge disparity between what I get and what sources indicate I should make based on my skills. I would like to move into the 50k range but I have a considerable fear that disclosing my current salary would hinder my chances, not help them.

we all know that when you start low it takes longer to move up in ranges even if you have the skills. When you give you salary information, include everything, your OT, bonuses etc. A good way to go about it, is to show your W2 tax form. For example when I moved from my 2nd job to my 3rd job i showed my recruiter my W2 not my pay-stub. I was making 35K a year salary at that time, but because I was working a lot of OT my W2 showed 55k a year! I used that to negotiate my next gig and landed a job in the 60k range + bonus which took me to the 70k range. Thats what I do to negotiate now, use the W2.
  • jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    See, I refuse to tell a new recruiter / company what I earn to begin with - I always negotiate what I think I am worth and stick to it.
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • philz1982philz1982 Member Posts: 978
    jibbajabba wrote: »
    See, I refuse to tell a new recruiter / company what I earn to begin with - I always negotiate what I think I am worth and stick to it.

Same, past pay is irrelevant. The value is what I can deliver today and what that translates to in compensation.
  • joelsfoodjoelsfood Member Posts: 1,027 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Absolutely. At least until you get a job that pays what you feel your worth. :) Now, i take my current pay, add 15% if they match perks, or more if they want me to go into an office, and give them that number. Though I'll likely go back to just choosing a number once I pass my CCIE, as then salary won't match skillset/certs again