Options

Power-Shell Knowledge for exam 410

how much Power-Shell do i need to know to pass 410?

Comments

• Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    With most Microsoft exams, you'll need to know basic PowerShell cmdlets, but you won't be tested on more script-centric things like loops or error-trapping. Chances are, you'll need to know stuff like the main ones for creating, editing, and deleting users, computers, and groups. (Things like New-ADUser, Get-ADComputer, Set-ADGroup, etc.) Basically, you'll need to be familiar with the PowerShell tools that equate to what you're doing in the GUI, particularly the Active Directory Administrative Center.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    ed_003ed_003 Member Posts: 216
    Slowhand wrote: »
    With most Microsoft exams, you'll need to know basic PowerShell cmdlets, but you won't be tested on more script-centric things like loops or error-trapping. Chances are, you'll need to know stuff like the main ones for creating, editing, and deleting users, computers, and groups. (Things like New-ADUser, Get-ADComputer, Set-ADGroup, etc.) Basically, you'll need to be familiar with the PowerShell tools that equate to what you're doing in the GUI, particularly the Active Directory Administrative Center.

thank u, how do u study? how often, hours/days per week? im trying to find a way that's comfortable for me
  • Options
    poolmanjimpoolmanjim Member Posts: 285 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The exam varies between lots of powershell to very little. The best suggestion I can give is if there is a powershell/cmd way to do something you should be familiar with the cmd/cmdlet. It will also be good to know the major switches for that command. You don't have to have every single command memorized with every single switch memorized but the more you know the better.

The best thing you can do for powershell is to create a list of the different powershell commands you might encounter. Write one command per note card and quiz yourself. Repetition is going to be the way to memorize all the powershell needed for the exam.

As far as how long or often do you study, you should try your best to study every day. Keep the information fresh in your mind as best you can. How often is up to what your schedule looks like. Sometimes I can only do 30 minutes a day, other times I can cram in several hours, etc. The best suggestion here is study as much as you can but also recognize when you're getting tired. There is a point where you get diminished returns on studying if you study too long.
    2019 Goals: Security+
    2020 Goals: 70-744, Azure
    Completed: MCSA 2012 (01/2016), MCSE: Cloud Platform and Infrastructure (07/2017), MCSA 2017 (09/2017)
    Future Goals: CISSP, CCENT
  • Options
    ed_003ed_003 Member Posts: 216
    poolmanjim wrote: »
    The exam varies between lots of powershell to very little. The best suggestion I can give is if there is a powershell/cmd way to do something you should be familiar with the cmd/cmdlet. It will also be good to know the major switches for that command. You don't have to have every single command memorized with every single switch memorized but the more you know the better.

The best thing you can do for powershell is to create a list of the different powershell commands you might encounter. Write one command per note card and quiz yourself. Repetition is going to be the way to memorize all the powershell needed for the exam.

As far as how long or often do you study, you should try your best to study every day. Keep the information fresh in your mind as best you can. How often is up to what your schedule looks like. Sometimes I can only do 30 minutes a day, other times I can cram in several hours, etc. The best suggestion here is study as much as you can but also recognize when you're getting tired. There is a point where you get diminished returns on studying if you study too long.

THX poolmanJim--- that's what ive been doing for the last few days just doing a few commands over and over i have the "new-aduser" down packed lol but yea i do get more than an hour per day mostly @ work i leave my lab server on @ home and i log into it from work while im doing other things. but sometimes i feel like im not doing enough.
  • Options
    knownheroknownhero Member Posts: 450
    The way I learned PowerShell was to use it everyday. Seriously everything I did was via PowerShell. Once you know the basics its not too hard to wrap your head around what they are asking.

In your labs. If you want to create a user don't do it via GUI do it in PowerShell. In fact anything to do with AD do it in PowerShell first then delete what you did and do it via the GUI.
    70-410 [x] 70-411 [x] 70-462[x] 70-331[x] 70-332[x]
    MCSE - SharePoint 2013 :thumbup:

Road map 2017: JavaScript and modern web development