Master's degree complete!

MrAgentMrAgent Member Posts: 1,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
So I finished my masters from George Mason University last week. It took me 2.5 years, 2 classes a semester, but it's finally done!
I completed a masters in Applied Information Technology, and managed to also complete a graduate certificate in Cyber Security.

While working on this I've been actively employed, studying for other certs (CEH, OSCP), and other personal stuff, so it wasnt an easy task. I still managed to complete my degree with a 3.65 GPA.

It's too early to tell if this will have an affect on my employment outlook, but I have a feeling it'll unlock more doors for me later down the road.

So to other people who have a lot going on and don't think they can get an education. I am pretty busy and I still managed to get it done. No excuses! Go out there and get it done!

Comments

• N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Woohoo! Awesome work!
  • nelson8403nelson8403 Member Posts: 220 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats! Hopefully it helps open some doors in the future! I see a lot more Security jobs requiring or recommending masters degrees now. It definitely gives an edge especially if you can pair it with OSCP!
    Bachelor of Science, IT Security
    Master of Science, Information Security and Assurance

CCIE Security Progress: Written Pass (06/2016), 1st Lab Attempt (11/2016)
  • 10Linefigure10Linefigure Member Posts: 368 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congratulations!
    CCNP R&S, Security+
    B.S. Geography - Business Minor
    MicroMasters - CyberSecurity
    Professional Certificate - IT Project Management
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Congrats on the achievement!
  • anoeljranoeljr Member Posts: 278 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • joehalford01joehalford01 Member Posts: 364 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congratulations!
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • MrAgentMrAgent Member Posts: 1,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Thanks everyone!
    In a strange coincidence I was moved over to a security role just this week. I was going to leave here after only 5-6 months to go to a penetration roll at another company, but something didn't seem right with it. So I stayed and apparently it was a good move on my part. Maybe finishing the masters had something to do it...
  • AnthonyGAnthonyG Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats! Thats a big personal achievement and its cool your company recognized the education and effort your putting towards moving into security.
  • the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congrats!!!!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • jeremywatts2005jeremywatts2005 Member Posts: 347 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats man I can remember when a BS in technology was great (1990's). Now it seems like everyone needs a Masters degree to move up and open doors. I got two of them and I will tell you the doors open wide when you get them. A whole new world.
  • coffeeluvrcoffeeluvr Member Posts: 734 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Congratulations!
    "Something feels funny, I must be thinking too hard. - Pooh"
  • --chris----chris-- Member Posts: 1,518 ■■■■■□□□□□
  • praminpramin Member Posts: 138 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats on your accomplishment !!!

Did you pay for it or was this employer subsidized?
  • da_vatoda_vato Member Posts: 445
    Congrats! I am utterly impressed with all that you accomplished in parallel, that is an impressive achievement.
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    Excellent achievements - impressive work ethic!
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

• Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    MrAgent wrote: »

It's too early to tell if this will have an affect on my employment outlook, but I have a feeling it'll unlock more doors for me later down the road.

So to other people who have a lot going on and don't think they can get an education. I am pretty busy and I still managed to get it done. No excuses! Go out there and get it done!

This is how I feel. I just finished mine from WGU in April, and it sure feels good to have it done.

Congrats
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
    pramin wrote: »
    Congrats on your accomplishment !!!

Did you pay for it or was this employer subsidized?

I paid for it all on my own. My current employer doesn't give tuition reimbursement until you have been employed for a year.
  • zxbanezxbane Member Posts: 740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats Agent and also congrats on the move at work as well, it seems like this will be more in line with the type of work you want to be doing!
  • EngRobEngRob Member Posts: 247 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats! Even more so for all the other items you accomplished in parallel. Way to go.
    Did you like the GW graduate program? I'm thinking about attending in the near future.
  • mjnk77mjnk77 Member Posts: 164 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • danny069danny069 Member Posts: 1,025 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats Mr. Agent that's great news! I am going to follow your path as well. I finish my B.S. Degree in Cyber Security/Digital Forensics in May 2016, and going to do my Masters in Cyber Security at Fordham University. How did you like the school?
    I am a Jack of all trades, Master of None
    dave330i wrote: »
    Did you like the GW graduate program? I'm thinking about attending in the near future.

I don't think I even looked into GW. I know its super expensive, and they just had an issue where they were falsifying records and grades.
    I liked the program at George Mason (GMU) if that's what you meant.
    danny069 wrote: »
    Congrats Mr. Agent that's great news! I am going to follow your path as well. I finish my B.S. Degree in Cyber Security/Digital Forensics in May 2016, and going to do my Masters in Cyber Security at Fordham University. How did you like the school?

I liked it. I wasn't super challenged, but I was learning. I actually found graduate school to be much easier than my undergrad. I think it's because my masters degree was more geared toward leadership, with a few technical classes thrown in.
    I don't think I even looked into GW. I know its super expensive, and they just had an issue where they were falsifying records and grades.
    I liked the program at George Mason (GMU) if that's what you meant.

Doh! I meant George Mason. I work near GW and live near GMU. Thanks for the feedback.
    No problem. This is the program I finished if you're interested.
    http://catalog.gmu.edu/preview_program.php?catoid=27&poid=25044
    Both of those are 36 credit hours. Mine was only 30, and did not require the GMAT/GRE.
    I also got a graduate certificate in cyber security out of it.
    Both of those are 36 credit hours. Mine was only 30, and did not require the GMAT/GRE.
    I also got a graduate certificate in cyber security out of it.

I'm trying to move towards enterprise architect/IT management roles.