Options

Promotion and Salary without a Negotiation

whotimewhotime Member Posts: 122 ■■■□□□□□□□
I wanted to get some opinions on getting a promotion without being able to negotiate the salary? and by that i mean i was never talked to about the salary.
WGU BS: IT-Security
In Progress: C170, C246
To Be Completed: C247, C299, C697, C698, C435, C436, C179

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Perhaps you should bring it up before accepting the promotion.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    I'm wondering the same thing as networker. So was it like, "here whotime, you are now a Sr. <insert title here>. Congrats and you're welcome"?

I've seen people get promoted this way and never really understood the concept.
  • Options
    --chris----chris-- Member Posts: 1,518 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Titles are thought of more as a job descriptions or job duties, not necessarily a promotion/demotion unless obvious (like ops manager, IT manager, VP of _____) in most SMB's I have worked in.

This poor lady at one place is:
    Chief administrative assistant
    IT Manager
    QC process controller
    two other titles...

Every time I see her I think of Milton from office space, "Oh hey Milton, while you are down there..." They keep moving her, adding more duties & titles....
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    I'm assuming you did the right thing and bought her a Swingline 747, correct?
  • Options
    cshkurucshkuru Member Posts: 246 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Lots of places do this because the have salary ranges and once you move out of the range of one position you are moved into the next or the opposite they want to move you into a position that better matches what you are doing and the salary is such and such so there you go.
  • Options
    cruwlcruwl Member Posts: 341 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I worked for an Extremely large 2 letter tech company that began with an H, when ever we got "promotions" they were always lateral moves in the org chart and never came with a raise. Even when moving from help desk to the NOC type roles. Raises were only done during your yearly review. Looking back all I have to say is F*** them. So if this happen to you look for a new job some where else.
  • Options
    BlackBeretBlackBeret Member Posts: 683 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I've seen "voluntold" lateral promotions as well. No salary increase until the contract is renegotiated (1-4years). You could turn it down, but then they could kick you to the curb after the contract as well instead of keeping you on it.
  • Options
    whotimewhotime Member Posts: 122 ■■■□□□□□□□
    so this is a promotion to a manager and there is a salary increase but it hasnt been discussed, the responsibilities havent been laid out or anything.
    WGU BS: IT-Security
    In Progress: C170, C246
    To Be Completed: C247, C299, C697, C698, C435, C436, C179