Did I make a mistake in negotiations?

TerminalBTerminalB Member Posts: 45 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey guys,

After a long search, I just accepted a new job yesterday. Now long story short, I told them I was making 80k at my old job (I was really making 72) and they offered 90, which I accepted. Thinking back, I'm wondering if instead of taking the first offer, if maybe I could have gotten another 2500-5000 out of it. I kind of hinted that I might want more initially, but the recruiter scoffed at it.

Should I have pushed harder for more?

Comments

• nelson8403nelson8403 Member Posts: 220 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It depends on their pay levels and how desperate you were for the job. You could have negotiated in extra time off or tuition or training reimbursement instead of just salary benefits. Some companies do not always lowball you in the first offer, if they need the position filled they'll offer what they feel is fair.

Not much you can do at this point but in the future consider a counter offer with more lucrative benefits
    Bachelor of Science, IT Security
    Master of Science, Information Security and Assurance

CCIE Security Progress: Written Pass (06/2016), 1st Lab Attempt (11/2016)
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Are you happy with $90k? If so then you are good to go.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    If you wanted more money you should have asked for it up front and not revealed your current/previous salary.
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Next time do some research on salary range in your area and mention your salary requirements at the beginning of the process. Then you don't have to waste your time interviewing with a low-ball offer company and deal with the counter offer nonsense.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • dou2bledou2ble Member Posts: 160
    It's easy to second guess yourself. The way I see it is you got a 20% raise, so I think you did well.
    2015 Goals: Masters in Cyber Security
  • MitechniqMitechniq Member Posts: 286 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Don't worry 18k is a very noticeable difference on your paycheck, I don't think another 2500 to 5000 is worth the frustration especially after taxes..

Congrats on the new job.

Do they offer annual pay raises?
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    maybe that was the top end you could've gotten, who knows... Either way nothing you can do now. Not worth a second thought in my mind. Gratz on the new gig.
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    A lesson for all of us to have the money we want in mind BEFORE going to an interview and negotiate based on that.
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

• BlackBeretBlackBeret Member Posts: 683 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Congrats on the new job. Everyone always second guesses themselves. For my most recent position I had asked for a very nice increase from my current salary. When I asked for that amount the interviewer breathed a big sigh of relief and laughed, stated that she thought I was going to ask for about 30% more than I did. When I got the offer letter she had added 3k over what I asked for. The recruiter who called me with the offer was talking to me like he was afraid I would turn it down, kept asking me if I was okay with it. I really feel like I short changed myself, BUT I'm making a lot more than I was, in a place I want to work, and life is good. When the contract comes up again I can try to bump it up and see what happens.

Bottom Line - I probably could have asked for a lot more, but I'm happy.
  • paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congratulations on your new job. Don't forget - on the flip side, you could have asked for more and never received an offer because you priced yourself too high.
  • jdancerjdancer Member Posts: 482 ■■■■□□□□□□
    UnixGuy wrote: »
    A lesson for all of us to have the money we want in mind BEFORE going to an interview and negotiate based on that.

^^This^^.

I always research. I gave them a range. They met the high end and added 10% more.
  • Jency83Jency83 Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Interesting thread, really. I think about "what would I get if I asked for more" quite often. Especially if the salary range for my position is public and I am 6k below the median (btw the range for my position is 30k!). Moreover, I get a weekly newsletter about open positions in my area and the average is usually 20k more of what I am at right now. On the other hand, my primary target was to gain an experience and secure my residency visa. Moreover, I don't know many people that earn more than me - seems I have poor friends, lol. It is actually quite interesting, because all the positions of sys eng here are advertised with a really nice remuneration, but the reality might be much lower. Last time I was interviewed by another company and asked for a bit more of what I have now, and all what I got was an ironic smile. Anyway, I consider everything above 10% raise as success.
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    dave330i wrote: »
    Next time do some research on salary range in your area and mention your salary requirements at the beginning of the process. Then you don't have to waste your time interviewing with a low-ball offer company and deal with the counter offer nonsense.

This right here.

It's not about what you want it's what you are worth. If the market pays 100,000 but you are okay with 80, should you take 80? While I might be okay with 80 in this scenario I would much rather have a 100,000 and for that I would ask for 100,000.

All things equal this might work for you. Hard to say, not enough information. Next time don't disclose how much you are currently making and negotiate based off of what other positions are paying in the area along with additional market specific information.
  • Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    paul78 wrote: »
    you could have asked for more and never received an offer because you priced yourself too high.

This is my thought. Regardless of your area, 90k is a respectable salary. Of course 95k is better, but you could do that all day. What if you got 95k, then you might have been able to ask for 100k.

As long as you got a raise from your old job and you like your new job, it is a win
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • onesaintonesaint Member Posts: 801
    20K comes out to about 1k a month more in your pocket. an extra 2500 doesn't really show up after tax. It's about $70 a check at 30% tax (oof!). You did really well with that 18K bump and make sure you try to do so on your next hop as well. ~1k net per month per move is pretty fantastic.

ETA: Man, this is the old Schooler's thread. Unixguy, Mike-Mike, N2, Networker, Dave, etc. Awesome that ya'll are still posting regularly.
    Work in progress: picking up Postgres, elastisearch, redis, Cloudera, & AWS.
    Next up: eventually the RHCE and to start blogging again.

Control Protocol; my blog of exam notes and IT randomness
  • JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Not much that hasn't already said so I'll say this, $90k in SC is pretty dang good, and especially with just the certs you have listed. Whatever you do, don't go into the new job thinking what if, and feeling like you got shorted. It will reflect on your mood and quality of work. Just go in, do an awesome job and you'll get the raises in no time.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Great point JoJo

From past experiences I have taken jobs that are below market average and the first 6 - 9 months all is well, the honeymoon phase is still strong and well. But eventually you catch wind of the hot shot who is making 10k more than you and start to realize you negotiated poorly. It's hard (for me at least) to swallow that pill. And most companies I have dealt with at most pay you 4.5% salary increase. Sometimes you can get 1 - 2 % depending on their compensation model.

Just sayin......
  • MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Companies will definitely use your base salary to try and make you happy in the new job. I've been told multiple times in interviews "you HAVE to tell us your salary eventually, period".

I've just set on the path that as long as I'm growing, I'm happy.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    2 mistakes.

- Revealing past salary
    - Lying about it

Given that, you should be more than happy.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • TerminalBTerminalB Member Posts: 45 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks guys, yeah it ended up coming out to about a 25% raise for me, so I can't complain too much. It's just one of those things that is always in the back of your mind though ;)
  • Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    onesaint wrote: »
    ETA: Man, this is the old Schooler's thread. Unixguy, Mike-Mike, N2, Networker, Dave, etc. Awesome that ya'll are still posting regularly.

I read this and thought, "I'm not really an old school guy here"

Then I looked at my profile and realized I have almost 5 years here, holy crap
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • onesaintonesaint Member Posts: 801
    Mike-Mike wrote: »
    I read this and thought, "I'm not really an old school guy here"

Then I looked at my profile and realized I have almost 5 years here, holy crap

LOL. Time flies, as they say.
    Work in progress: picking up Postgres, elastisearch, redis, Cloudera, & AWS.
    Next up: eventually the RHCE and to start blogging again.

Control Protocol; my blog of exam notes and IT randomness