Advice on what path to take

Snrussell09Snrussell09 Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
I've been working on a service desk (help desk) doing IT support for a few different contracts. It's basically a call center so we do everything remote (walking the user through it or remoting in to the machine). I know I have no interest in this for much longer but it was my first IT job and I've learned a lot here but I don't feel like I'm learning anymore. It's just repetitive now and our new account has a lot administrative type of work. Sometimes I'll get a ticket that I can troubleshoot with and it's nice.

I'm in the beginning stages of the Network+ to see if I like the networking aspect of the field but I don't have much experience with it so I'm not sure. I know a couple of other guys doing it to and a couple with CCNAs. I though about database work but I honestly don't see many job postings for it and it doesn't sound very interesting. A job that I've seen that I think I'd be interested is system(s) admin. I have done a lot of active directory stuff at my current job and do some admin work here. I'm just trying to figure out what a good way to go would be since I need to take that next step soon.

Comments

• kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
    You created a thread last year:
    http://www.techexams.net/forums/jobs-degrees/105480-just-starting-out-trying-decide-path.html

Still havent decided what you like/dont like?
    meh
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Sounds like you should get your MCSA Server 2012, and get out of the help desk. Just need to get a book on it and get moving. icon_cool.gif Not a difficult path.
  • ChinookChinook Member Posts: 206
    My advice is do what you want to do (what you like). It will make getting out of bed very easy & you'll enjoy the continuous learning aspect of this career.

Have you considered looking at employment with a MSP (Managed Service Provider). They usually manage the networks of smaller companies which gets you touching a whole bunch of technology but nothing too intense. Another option is trying to get into Desktop support maybe with a Windows 7 certification. A more senior desktop role might be Win 7 & SCCM.
  • Snrussell09Snrussell09 Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
    kurosaki00 wrote: »
    You created a thread last year:
    http://www.techexams.net/forums/jobs-degrees/105480-just-starting-out-trying-decide-path.html

Still havent decided what you like/dont like?

Unfortunately not, I have learned that I don't necessarily like the help desk thing (at least not long term) and I definitely dislike a call center environment. This first year was about the experience, troubleshooting, learning the basics and that kind of thing. However, I do like the system admin type of stuff like data security and networks. A few people I worked with doing the same exact job, who had a year or less more experience than I had left a while back and took jobs and got significant raises doing despised/local IT type of roles. They went from making round 15 per hour to 25 per hour. I'm just not sure if that is the path I want to take or if I'd rather find an entry level NOC job to familiarize myself with networks or something like that.
    I actually haven't thought about that, that sounds interesting. I'll have to check into it.

There do seem to be quite a few job postings for deskside/desktop support (tier 1 and 2) in my area as well as plenty of other help desk types but I think a lot of them are in the call center environment.
    Sounds like you should get your MCSA Server 2012, and get out of the help desk. Just need to get a book on it and get moving. icon_cool.gif Not a difficult path.

I did a bit of research on that and it actually sounds like some of the stuff I'd be interested in doing. Thanks for mentioning it!