Options

Is net+ right for me?

josephrichjosephrich Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
I appreciate you for taking the time out of your day to read this and help me. I just ordered the all in one net + study guide by Mike and the exam cram net + booklet as well. --SKIP TO THE BOTTOM IF YOU WANT TO GET RIGHT TO MY QUESTION.

I am looking to acquire certs as many of you are or have. My long term goal is to get my security+ cert and continue down that road acquiring more difficult security related certs.

I have used computers my whole life, installed basics such as ram and graphics cards, but in all honesty I am very inexperienced in this field. I never had a mentor or friend to introduce me to this great field and show me the way. I would appreciate kindness from you repliers. I am a very motivated person and I plan on accomplishing these certs.

I need recommendations on where to begin as a beginner with no experience. I am not working an IT job or computer related job at the moment.
What cert should I get first as a beginner? Should I continue with net+? I appreciate the help, thank you.

Comments

• Options
    techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
    A+ is your best starting point to gain knowledge and also gain employment in the field. Study Network+, test if you want, but it's rarely an eye catcher on your resume. If you want to get into security, Security+ is a good start, it's a fun study as well. If you want to go more towards networking go for CCENT/CCNA. If servers go for MCSA 2012.
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
  • Options
    Thank you techfiend for your reply. I read on different threads that people found security plus easier to grasp because they had studied and obtained their net + cert. People also said they had no trouble with security plus without studying net + first.

At the moment I will continue studying and test for my net+ cert and then work on studying and testing for my A+ cert. Do you think at that point I should find employment in the field as I continue for my security+cert?

Appreciate and welcome any opinions about the question above and the previous question of what you recommend accomplishing first as a beginner with little to no experience.
    Thanks
  • Options
    Security+ overlaps the Network+ somewhat and both contain great knowledge. A+ doesn't guarantee a job but it helps get your resume noticed.
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
  • Options
    orlandoflorlandofl Member Posts: 216 ■■■□□□□□□□
    josephrich wrote: »
    Thank you techfiend for your reply. I read on different threads that people found security plus easier to grasp because they had studied and obtained their net + cert. People also said they had no trouble with security plus without studying net + first.

At the moment I will continue studying and test for my net+ cert and then work on studying and testing for my A+ cert. Do you think at that point I should find employment in the field as I continue for my security+cert?

Appreciate and welcome any opinions about the question above and the previous question of what you recommend accomplishing first as a beginner with little to no experience.
    Thanks

I recommend the trinity; A+, Network+, Security+ in that order. A+ isn't as easy as people may think and does a good job of validating hardware, PC troubleshooting, and overall operating systems knowledge. It took me 3-almost 4 weeks to study for and take Network+. Not going to lie, I learned a lot. I had general concepts prior to Network+, but didn't have a lot of experience with the OSI model and things of the like. Network+ helped me close the gaps and provide a solid foundation.

There is probably a 20-ish% over lap between Network+ and Security+. I would highly recommend doing Network+ BEFORE tackling Security+. Also, when you get to Security+ you'll more than likely want to look towards Darril Gibson's Book and Premium online study package with practice exams (which are extremely relevant to the exam). With Darril's resources I was able to pass Security+ with 3 weeks of study.

Darril Gibson's Security+ Book
    CompTIA Security+: Get Certified Get Ahead: SY0-401 Study Guide: Darril Gibson: 9781939136022: Amazon.com: Books

Darril Gibson's Security+ Online Study Package
    Pass the Security+ Exam the First Time You Take It | Get Certified Get Ahead

I was able to pass A+, Net+, and Security+ in 3 months, two weeks. Certainly not a record, but I feel it was a realistic time frame that allowed me to retain a good amount of the information studied. These are all doable if you're willing to put the time into them.

In terms of trying to find a job while studying for certifications....experience is your friend in this industry..if you're able to get a job you can build on without certs or experience...definitely do it, it will only help you!

Good luck!

Travis
    • Education: B.A. Criminal Justice - Thomas Edison State University
    • Education: Undergraduate Certificate in Microsoft Server Administration - St. Petersburg College
    • Currently Working On: MCSA - Windows 10
    • Planned Certifications for 2017: MCSE - Mobility
    • Connect With Me On LinkedIn:https://www.linkedin.com/in/travisebyrd
  • Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    So you didn't mention your career goals. I see you want to get your S+ and some more certs later on, but what do you ultimately want to do in this field? Also, do you have any type of degree (IT or not)?

A lot of people will recommend the CompTIA trifecta, but I am probably one of the few people that won't necessarily do so. They are expensive and don't by any means guarantee you a job. I am a fan of the MTAs since they are cheaper and focus on Microsoft (which is very likely what you'll be working with to start out at least). But it ultimately depends on your budget and goals IMO.
  • Options
    Orlandofl, thank you for your very detailed message. I decided to order A+ and begin studying before net+ based on your recommendation.
    To accomplish A+, net+, and security+ in 3 months and a few weeks is a great accomplishment for anybody. You are a great student, talented or you just have a knack for these things. It would be an even greater accomplishment for me as I have very little experience.

Do you think 6 months(2 months per cert) is a reasonable goal for somebody with no experience?
    A side note: I am deeply involved in the fitness industry. I am currently employed in it. I know where to go and who to talk to for the majority of fitness related jobs. I have no idea where to go, what websites to use or who to talk to to find an entry level position or even an internship. At this point I would like to get my foot in the door. I plan on searching after accomplishing these 3 certs.

Marculous. Thank you for your reply as well. I would like to get into defense(hacking) security. What I don't understand is how it's possible for a person to learn how to work in security. You wouldn't want to hire and train someone who could leave your company or the government vulnerable.I honestly don't know what is a reasonable position to choose at this point. I don't have a degree. I will get back to you on this as I gain more knowledge.
  • Options
    I'd get the A+ asap, then put job hunting at the top of your list. If you haven't had any interviews in a month, ask for a resume critique here. If you don't have luck after a few months with a good resume consider a microsoft cert, mta is the first step, I didn't see it on many job listings but it could be a tie breaker. MCP, gained my passing an mcsa certificate is much more sought after. Once employed, consider a BS IT degree, wgu isn't a bad choice, it's inexpensive, self study, accelerated, and comes with certs. It's exceeded my expectations and most courses so far have been tougher than my b&m aas degree. I've been turned down for midlevel positions for not having a bs/ba.

Dice, indeed, careerbuilder, monster, craigslist are some us job listing sites.
  • Options
    Techfiend, thank you for your detailed message. I am about a week into studying A+. I plan on updating my resume after completing A+. I was told by a colleague of mine that with a security + cert and more difficult security certs you don't need a BS or BA? Taking a step back to think about this I realize a BS or BA will always be preferred and possibly required.
    My current plan is to apply at a local PC repair/build shop. I am in need of experience and I'm sure with an A+ I could get my foot in the door. I will use the websites that you gave me to also search for opportunities while waiting for a response from them.

I am feeling a little overwhelmed by the amount of different opportunities and specializations in IT. I will learn more about it as I continue down the road I hope

Thanks again to you and all
  • Options
    10 years ago you could do pretty good without a degree and depend on certs and experience. These days even some entry level positions have bachelors requirements. No degree I think you are really playing with fire, with an associates you are very close to the fire when it comes to mid-level positions. Unless you know people, network well and know how to market yourself I'd suggest a bachelors to be successful in the IT field. You don't have to think about it now, get some experience under your belt and see where it takes you. I know it's quite an investment.

Do you like build/repair so much that you could do it for hours every day? If so, by all means pursue that position. Otherwise it's like a half of a foot in the door and doesn't give you much for relevant experience. Help desk, desktop support are more relevant entry-level positions.
  • Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    josephrich wrote: »
    Orlandofl, thank you for your very detailed message. I decided to order A+ and begin studying before net+ based on your recommendation.
    To accomplish A+, net+, and security+ in 3 months and a few weeks is a great accomplishment for anybody. You are a great student, talented or you just have a knack for these things. It would be an even greater accomplishment for me as I have very little experience.

Do you think 6 months(2 months per cert) is a reasonable goal for somebody with no experience?
    A side note: I am deeply involved in the fitness industry. I am currently employed in it. I know where to go and who to talk to for the majority of fitness related jobs. I have no idea where to go, what websites to use or who to talk to to find an entry level position or even an internship. At this point I would like to get my foot in the door. I plan on searching after accomplishing these 3 certs.

Marculous. Thank you for your reply as well. I would like to get into defense(hacking) security. What I don't understand is how it's possible for a person to learn how to work in security. You wouldn't want to hire and train someone who could leave your company or the government vulnerable.I honestly don't know what is a reasonable position to choose at this point. I don't have a degree. I will get back to you on this as I gain more knowledge.

If you want to head into network security, I'd probably go straight for the CCENT rather than the N+. I'm assuming you've been studying for a week on the N+ and that's good knowledge, but the CCENT and CCNA are going to have a much better ROI. Try to get a NOC job if you can, but help desk wouldn't be bad either just to get experience.

I'm not in Network Security, but I know it's not an easy field to just waltz into. You have to have a strong understanding of what it is you're trying to protect and a good amount of experience doing so. Having good knowledge of AD and Microsoft Servers would be beneficial too eventually (MCSA). While I've heard of some entry-level jobs into the security field, I wouldn't hold your breath. Those positions seem few and far between and you probably have to know someone to get it. Focus on learning the ins and outs of the network and keep in mind security principles when you are configuring them. May take a few years, but it'll happen if you want it.