Is it possible to pass CCNA just by reading book?

Polymorphic28Polymorphic28 Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
I just purchased Todd Lammle's Routing and Switching CCNA book. I have experience in the IT field just not specifically on the network side. Went through a CCNA bootcamp a few months ago so I have somewhat of a basic understanding with networking. How realistic is it to pass the CCNA exam just by reading Todd Lammle's book? I'm scheduled to take the exam in September and I was just curious to know if anyone has passed just by reading the book? I did install packet tracer to do some labs that I've received from the bootcamp. Thanks!

Comments

• HondabuffHondabuff Member Posts: 667 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Laemmle's book is a great start but you will have to supplement it with CBT, Portable command guide and lab, lab, lab.
    “The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you can’t always be sure of their authenticity.” ~Abraham Lincoln
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I think it is definitely possible. There is some troubleshooting simulations and troubleshooting questions on the exam that would be extremely tough without actually doing any labs though. I think its possible just would be extremely difficult.
  • Polymorphic28Polymorphic28 Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the suggestions!
  • thomas_thomas_ Member Posts: 1,012 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I agree with NetworkNewb. If you memorized the different commands and expected outputs you may he able to pass it. I think some sort of labbing is advisable because actually typing the commands, reading the output, and trying to figure out what is going on with a particular scenario really helps you learn the commands.
  • Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I think you can learn the information from the book. The question is can you take the theoretical knowledge and apply it for the first time in a test environment. With IT experience and a previous boot camp you might be able to do it. However I think I would spend a little time in packet tracer.

Good Luck! We all study different so do what works for you.
  • MitechniqMitechniq Member Posts: 286 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Is it possible, yes, but it all depends on what your intent is after passing the certification?
    If it is simply to gain knowledge then by all means just use the book, but if it is to obtain a job in networking. Then NO book will give you the true experience of running a network with your hands on the keyboard.
    It is amazing how quickly I understood something when the end results did not match the book, and I had to go in and troubleshoot my network...definitely a confidence builder.
  • goldenlightgoldenlight Member Posts: 378 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The Test have simulators on it. You want to practice with simulators like Packet Tracer.. This is technically for Cisco Netacademy students, but if you google it Im sure you will find a download from some where.
    The Only way to do great work is to love what you do. If you haven't found it keep looking. Don't settle - Steve Jobs
  • hurricane1091hurricane1091 Member Posts: 919 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Interviewers will ask you about commands and how to do things. Can pass test without practicing, but if you want to do it for a living, you better lab.
    I have a lot of work to do! I think I will bring this book with me everywhere I go (including gym) just so I feel confident in taking the exam. Thanks everyone for the feedback!
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    If I were going to try to pass just by reading a book it would be Odom's not Lammle's.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
    If I were going to try to pass just by reading a book it would be Odom's not Lammle's.

Why do you choose Odom over Lammle?
  • daniel280187daniel280187 Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I have not read Lammle's books just yet. I am actually finishing with Odom ICND2 and I cannot recommend you enough this book.

The reason is simple, it goes deep on every topic and it presents you with loads of examples, tips, configs, topologies and the reasoning behind every configuration. The language is very clear, easy to understand and sometimes even repetitive (In a good way).

The structure of the books is very logical and simple to follow. Additionally you can use its examples and create some useful labs in Packet Tracer or GNS3 to improve your hands on skills.

Another part that I really appreciate of this book are its chapters just dedicated to troubleshooting which has been a great help for me when I am playing with the scenarios I like to create in Packet Tracer.

All in all, this book will definitely help you not just to get a CCNA but to really and thoroughly understand the basis of Routing and Switching.
    I have not read Lammle's books just yet. I am actually finishing with Odom ICND2 and I cannot recommend you enough this book.

The reason is simple, it goes deep on every topic and it presents you with loads of examples, tips, configs, topologies and the reasoning behind every configuration. The language is very clear, easy to understand and sometimes even repetitive (In a good way).

The structure of the books is very logical and simple to follow. Additionally you can use its examples and create some useful labs in Packet Tracer or GNS3 to improve your hands on skills.

Another part that I really appreciate of this book are its chapters just dedicated to troubleshooting which has been a great help for me when I am playing with the scenarios I like to create in Packet Tracer.

All in all, this book will definitely help you not just to get a CCNA but to really and thoroughly understand the basis of Routing and Switching.

Thanks for the good info! I will purchase this book tonight.
  • SimridSimrid Member Posts: 327
    I used CBTNuggets. Actually - I didn't even finish the series, I stopped just before NAT. I then read Lammels book about NAT and watched some Chris Bryant for some IPv6 (got bored of Chris very quickly). I then read some Odom's for a bit and did a lot of labs and practise questions.

I would say Odom is great, very informative and used the book a lot - Great as a reference book. If you're planning on reading all the book, Lammels is always good and engaging.

Long story short, I would use Odom as a reference book and Lammels as a day to day book.
    Network Engineer | London, UK | Currently working on: CCIE Routing & Switching

sriddle.co.uk
    uk.linkedin.com/in/simonriddle
  • MooseboostMooseboost Member Posts: 778 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It is possible. There is a difference between possible and optimal though. You will find when you use multiple sources you will pick up something new from each one. That is why I love using as many resources as I can, I am pulling from the experience of all of those different people.
  • BJ4ITBJ4IT Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Is this the Lammle book everyone is referring to?

Lammle Book
    2015 Goals:
    CCENT
    CCNA
    CCNA Security
  • SimridSimrid Member Posts: 327
    That's correct. That's the book which will contain both 100-101 and 200-101.
    Network Engineer | London, UK | Currently working on: CCIE Routing & Switching

sriddle.co.uk
    uk.linkedin.com/in/simonriddle
  • emazemaz Member Posts: 34 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I would say it would depend on the amount of experience you have working with Cisco equipment and how deep the book goes. Cisco really challenges you on the questions that they present in the exams. They word it in ways that you will only really be able to answer the question properly by experience and not just getting it from a book. You also have to do a lot of practice with the commands.
  • Params7Params7 Member Posts: 254
    I passed CCENT by like 10 points or so by just reading Odom's book and watching through nuggets once. My only experience with live gear had been just running Show Interface commands to see collision counters for some problem tickets at some internship. That's it. I remember not doing too hot on the sim questions in ICND1 but did enough to pass on theory apparently.

For ICND2, I hopped onto packet tracer/GNS3.
  • Codeman6669Codeman6669 Member Posts: 227
    I have used Lammels books for the N+, CCENT, and CCNA

his books are legit. and I have three other people at work that bought his book one has passed ccent and the other ccna the 3rd just started.

You will likely want to supplement his stuff with CBT nuggets and using packet tracer to practice commands n such. The test will have troubleshooting scenarios you will need to know the command line comfortably and know where to look for what.

Honestly use: Lammels book, fin CBT nuggets somewhere online, and find packet tracer somewhere online and your set.
    Between those 3 things you (given you study and understand the material) will pass.

Additionally find any free practice exams you can find online, and practice them as many times as you can to get 100% on them. Good luck and lammel is a great group of books to get this done with.
  • QPsycheQPsyche Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Oh my god :D
    I just took my CCENT test two days ago on Thursday using just that book and got 867 w/ 804 pass line.
    It's definitely possible, but I didn't feel that the book covered everything it could have. It definitely left some stuff out, but yeah. It works :D
    QPsyche wrote: »
    Oh my god :D
    I just took my CCENT test two days ago on Thursday using just that book and got 867 w/ 804 pass line.
    It's definitely possible, but I didn't feel that the book covered everything it could have. It definitely left some stuff out, but yeah. It works :D

Did you read Lammle's or Odom's book?
    I have used Lammels books for the N+, CCENT, and CCNA

his books are legit. and I have three other people at work that bought his book one has passed ccent and the other ccna the 3rd just started.

You will likely want to supplement his stuff with CBT nuggets and using packet tracer to practice commands n such. The test will have troubleshooting scenarios you will need to know the command line comfortably and know where to look for what.

Honestly use: Lammels book, fin CBT nuggets somewhere online, and find packet tracer somewhere online and your set.
    Between those 3 things you (given you study and understand the material) will pass.

Additionally find any free practice exams you can find online, and practice them as many times as you can to get 100% on them. Good luck and lammel is a great group of books to get this done with.

Thanks for the good info! I'm searching for some CBT nuggets online right now!