just started Net+, looking for some advice before i get too far in?

detroitwillfalldetroitwillfall Member Posts: 85 ■■■□□□□□□□
so i just started net+ i am on osi/tcp models.. lesson 2 and i gotta say going forward is there anything people have done to help them better internalize the material better? because for my a+ i memorized more then i really understood. which is bad. thats what folks call "paper cert" if i stand correct.

anyhow just looking for some advice or helpful tips you all might have.

thanks!

Comments

• echo_time_catecho_time_cat Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
    If you're just memorizing and not really retaining the info, maybe you need to get more hands on and create a lab/setup? I noticed that would happen with me. If I had no real experience with something, learning the protocols of that particular bit of technology was a lot more difficult.

Also, augment your study material with an alternate source. Sometimes a different teaching method is all it takes. Personally, when I studied for Network + I used the Mike Meyers AIO guide and Professor Messer's youtube videos. I'm lucky enough to work at an ISP where I could also see a lot of the technologies first hand.

Good Luck!
  • markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Anytime I'm challenged and can apply the information is the absolute best way for me to retain the information. Are you working in an environment where this knowledge would be helpful? What are the plans for your next cert? Only reason I ask is because if you're going the Cisco route, it wouldn't hurt to get into Packet Tracer right now and it's much easier to conceptualize and apply everything when you've got a map of the equipment, you can see how the pings are traveling, and you are forced to troubleshoot it.
  • Goteki54Goteki54 Member Posts: 79 ■■■□□□□□□□
    so i just started net+ i am on osi/tcp models.. lesson 2 and i gotta say going forward is there anything people have done to help them better internalize the material better? because for my a+ i memorized more then i really understood. which is bad. thats what folks call "paper cert" if i stand correct.

anyhow just looking for some advice or helpful tips you all might have.

thanks!

Look into buying a network+ simulator. Several sites sell them.(pearson, totalsim) etc A simulator is the near equivalent of having to go out and build a psychical test lab.
    CompTIA A+, Network+, Security +., SSCP