LPI Linux Essentials - 22 May 15

jvrlopezjvrlopez Member Posts: 913 ■■■■□□□□□□
So I decided to sit this little 40 question, 1 hour test. Apparently it is not a certification but a certificate of completion. The test seems straight forward and the objectives look pretty basic. I got the Tracy All in One Exam Guide and will skim through it over the next week. I have been using Linux off and on for the past 5 years (heavily for the past 18 months) and feel that I should be alright come test time. I haven't seen much posting on this certificate so I figured I would let everyone know how the studying and test go. There are a few reasons as to why I'm going for this low hanging fruit as opposed to LPIC-1/2 or Linux +. First, I just finished by BA in Comm Studies and am pretty bored now that I don't have any homework when I get out of the office. Also, I've seen a disturbing trend in the local IT community with individuals stating they have experience in Linux but do not have any skills to back it up. A resume I saw noted "15 years of Linux experience" but the individual couldn't name their preferred Linux text editor during the interview... Going for this would be a quick way to keep my focus and have something tangible for the time being to show what I profess... Will let you all know how it goes!
And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high. ~Ayrton Senna

Comments

• tmcgtmcg Banned Posts: 127
    Someone with your skill set and Linux Knowledge should blow this out of the water. The test was trickier than I expected and at least 3 people in my class failed because they underestimated the exam. (One of whom had a degree in programming). Make sure you know something about video players on Ubuntu etc some random questions appear. I found it helpful as I had zero previous experience with Linux.
  • jvrlopezjvrlopez Member Posts: 913 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Leaving to take the test in about 10 minutes!

Didn't get as much study time in as I would have liked (my own fault), but I did cram pretty hard the past 3 days...really curious to see how this turns out.

Regardless of the outcome, I will post my thoughts on the exam here once I am done.
    And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high. ~Ayrton Senna
  • jvrlopezjvrlopez Member Posts: 913 ■■■■□□□□□□
    BLUF: Passed with a 610/800 (500 is passing).

The test was very short (40 questions) and didn't take too long to finish. Most of the questions were straightforward as in them being a sentence long. Multiple choice, select all that apply, and type in the blanks type of questions were present.

If you study the AiO book with any effort you can pass this exam. If you have any Linux skills, experience, and knowledge, you can probably pass it easily.

To be honest, after taking it, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone with any Linux experience. Go for something bigger like LPIC or Linux+. I understand now why there aren't many posts about this exam.
  • Kinet1cKinet1c Member Posts: 604 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass. I took this on Thursday just gone after getting a free voucher for it, agree that if you work with linux in anyway you should have no issue with it. Took me about 10-15 minutes to get through it.
    2018 Goals - Learn all the Hashicorp products

Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity