VCP-NV: My next challenge

Architect192Architect192 Member Posts: 157 ■■■□□□□□□□
After passing the VCAP-DCA a few weeks ago, I started looking into the VCDX. But this is a long term goal. Being CCNP and VCAP certified, I figured I'd take a look at the VCP-NV track. One good thing is they wave the requirement for class training if you are Cisco certified. Plus they offer 50% off until end of June 2015. So it was a no brainer for me. Booked the exam this morning for next month, I'll tackle the documentation starting tomorrow :)
Current: VCAP-DCA/DCD, VCP-DCV2/3/4/5, VCP-NV 6 - CCNP, CCNA Security - MCSE: Server Infrastructure 2012 - ITIL v3 - A+ - Security+
Working on: CCNA Datacenter (2nd exam), Renewing VMware certs...

Comments

• ZentraediZentraedi Member Posts: 150
    Just, make sure you hit the HOL ASAP. Anyway, the material isn't all that deep so this should be one of the easier VCPs to pick up.
    Current Study Track
    EMCCA, EMCCAe, EMCCE, VCIX-NV, Puppet Practitioner, ServiceNow
  • Architect192Architect192 Member Posts: 157 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have it installed in my home lab already, and have subscribed to the HOL last week :)

Thanks for the suggestion!
    Current: VCAP-DCA/DCD, VCP-DCV2/3/4/5, VCP-NV 6 - CCNP, CCNA Security - MCSE: Server Infrastructure 2012 - ITIL v3 - A+ - Security+
    Studies moving forward, almost done with the CBTs. Then it's the design guide. 12 days to go! :)
    Done. One more for the alphabet soup! NSX is a really cool solution :)
  • joelsfoodjoelsfood Member Posts: 1,027 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Congrats! I just scheduled mine for the third. After a second fail on the CCIE lab, I needed to go back and get a pass on something to keep from depression/burnout on my education. Like you, already have it in home lab, working on HoL, and watchingthrough all of the vBrownBag series on the test.
    joelsfood wrote: »
    Congrats! I just scheduled mine for the third. After a second fail on the CCIE lab, I needed to go back and get a pass on something to keep from depression/burnout on my education. Like you, already have it in home lab, working on HoL, and watchingthrough all of the vBrownBag series on the test.

Wow, if you're at the CCIE level, the exam is a no brainer. It wasn't that hard to be honest. VCP-DCV was harder from what I remember.

Congrats on not giving up though, it's hard but it's worth it (for personal growth at least) :)
  • DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
    Done. One more for the alphabet soup! NSX is a really cool solution :)

I saw your post on LinkedIn, congrats brother!
  • jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    One good thing is they wave the requirement for class training if you are Cisco certified.

Congrats, but just for the sake of argument, the class for the VCP-NV is optional anyway, Cisco or not, as long as you are VCP certified, which you, as VCAP, are anyway :)
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congrats mate! VCP-CMA next?
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
    Thinking about the VCP-CMA indeed. Need to get into the cloud automation stuff in general, and since i'm so invested in VMware, why not :)

They better stay on top for a long time...
    Well for the foreseeable future they'll remain on top, well I hope too! Just a thought - why not focus your energy on the VCDX instead?
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Essendon wrote: »
    Well for the foreseeable future they'll remain on top, well I hope too! Just a thought - why not focus your energy on the VCDX instead?

Because while technically I think I'm ready (no issues with design etc...), I'm nowhere near ready on the soft skills and confidence side. I know myself. Even if I am sure of something, if someone challenges me, I immediately doubt myself and start second guessing. The design portion of the VCDX is a no brainer for me. Facing the panel is a whole other story. I need to work on confidence, presentation skills, etc. That's why I wish there were other people locally interested in doing this so we could challenge each other, and build confidence (in my case anyway). But in Montreal, there's nobody I know/heard of that's working on it. It's a very small market here (I don't even know if there's value in doing it). There's one VCDX in Montreal (Jean-Francois Richard) and he works for VMware. And he's on the panel sometimes.
    Fair enough, think about joining a study group then. Here's one you may be able to join > VCDX 2015 Study Group | VirtualPharaohs.

Presenting at local/inter-state VMUGs is a great way to get some valuable presentation experience. Recording a vBrownbag is another way to get some experience. Get in touch with Jonathan Frappier or Josh Atwell go they can get you a slot. I don't have much presentation experience either, so to get some I've signed up to do a vBrownbag on Oct 7, I'll be presenting about a global Log Insight design at my local VMware User Conference in October and a vROps design at my local VMUG. To help me through it, I've asked someone (with lots of experience) to get up there alongside me. There'll be a lot of nerves, I know that for a fact, but I know this is the only way to get rid of that stage fright. There really is no other way, cant run away from my fears forever. Gotta step up!
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..