Options

How did you study for A+?

Justin400Justin400 Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
I am starting off studying by printing off the objectives from Comptia and then take a practice test from Sybex and marking proficiency down. I will then target weak areas.

Comments

• Options
    ekoplexekoplex Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Watched the Professor Messer vidoes. I did purchase Mike Meyers book, but didn't have time to read it.
  • Options
    shrinskshrinsk Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I started with the Meyers book, which is really good in explaining things in an entertaining/humorous way. I've gotten invaluable info from him, however he does leave gaps in areas that are just not explained well. I've seen some of his videos and while informative it seems he's more interested in entertaining than educating.

Professor Messer filled in the gaps left by Myers, very logical method of teaching. I've used the two interchangeably as they are a good compliment for each other.

Additionally, building/having a PC where you can run virtual machines from is also a useful tool.
  • Options
    10Linefigure10Linefigure Member Posts: 368 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Sybex book and the CD that came with it. Should be all you need man. Don't get hung up on things when they go into too much detail (like explaining how the math for memory is counted on RAM chips, it doesn't matter for the test). Other then that, read the book, use the CD and its off you go. Good luck man .
    CCNP R&S, Security+
    B.S. Geography - Business Minor
    MicroMasters - CyberSecurity
    Professional Certificate - IT Project Management
  • Options
    Armitron77Armitron77 Member Posts: 134 ■■■□□□□□□□
    What I used was the ExamCram and Mike Meyers books to study for the A+ exams. Furthermore, I watched Professor Messer videos and took a lot of practice exams. One website I used and still use is ExamCompass | CompTIA Practice Exams. Purchase both the ExamCram (It's more for advanced techs. However, you can still use it) and the Mike Meyers book (more for beginners) and take a lot of practice tests. The reason for both books is because the ExamCram book is more of a condensed book. The book gets straight into (the objectives) what you really need to know for the both exams. The reason for the Mike Meyers book is mainly used for as a reference to the ExamCram book. What ever you don't understand from the ExamCram book, you can use the Mike Meyers book to fill in any blanks you may have in terms of your understanding of the materials. Additionally, use other sources if need be. That's what I did and was able to pass both A+ exams without any issues. Good luck. icon_thumright.gif
    Bachelor of Science Degree in Computer & Network Security
    Associate in Applied Science Degree in Network Management
    Associate in Applied Science Degree in Network Management/Cyber Security
    CompTIA A+ Certified | CE, CompTIA Network+ Certified | CE

2016 Goals: CCENT/CCNA Routing & Switching COLOR=#008000][B]IN PROGRESS[/B][/COLOR/CompTIA Security+ COLOR=#008000][B]IN PROGRESS[/B][/COLOR
  • Options
    leep80leep80 Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
  • Options
    Techy13Techy13 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Currently using Prof Messer videos, taking tons and tons of notes + flashcards, examcompass and Sybex textbook(just for if I feel I need to know additional info or something) I don't learn well from just reading a textbook.