FLUNK

xxtd0gxxxxtd0gxx Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
I have been building/repairing/maintaining computers for the better part of four years now. I some how failed the Hardware portion of this exam. All I have for practice material is my preplogic a+ guide and their demo exam which I am getting 83% on everytime i take the 210 question monster.... Does anyone have suggestions? This is seriously heartbreaking. Feel like everything I have been doing for the past 4yrs has gone for nothing. haha thanks for your help. I am retaking on saturday.
Tom G

Comments

• dan87951dan87951 Member Posts: 107
    Is there anything you felt you had trouble with? Its been a while since I took my A+ but I remeber then being sticklers on remembering the com ports and which IRQ they belonged with. Also basic overview of processor cache and MHz rating as well.
  • xxtd0gxxxxtd0gxx Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    they tossed about ten questions all on RAID and i didn't even study RAID for it because I didn't see it in my books. a couple of old 3.1 questions too... err...
    Tom G
  • Danman32Danman32 Member Posts: 1,243
    Did you go over the Comptia's objectives on their website?

If not, I strongly suggest getting it.
  • bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    xxtd0gxx wrote:
    they tossed about ten questions all on RAID and i didn't even study RAID for it because I didn't see it in my books. a couple of old 3.1 questions too... err...

You should always use a reliable material when preparing for your certification.

http://certification.comptia.org/resources/find_materials.aspx

A+ is a foundation certification, that means it's really general and broad, they can and will ask you everything they say they will ask you in the domain objectives. RAID and 3.1 are perfectly legitimate question areas.

My question for you is...you didnt come across RAID in the 4 years of building and maintaining computers? I was thrown with a pair of 32GB raptors and was told to put RAID 1 together 2nd week on the job when I was a pc tech.
    Jack of all trades, master of none
  • xxtd0gxxxxtd0gxx Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    just saying, i wasnt fully prepared i guess and that hopefully friday i'll nail it down. i dont make excuses for myself usually. i guess i am just dissapointed in myself
    Tom G
  • Go BucksGo Bucks Member Posts: 152
    If your score wasn't very close to passing, I would suggest holding off on a quick retake or you will probably throw money away taking it again. You should really buy a book as they are not very expensive and its also a good reference book to have.

Knowing how to plug the cable into a drive is one thing, but you also have to know that that "thingy" that plugs in is called a molex connector. I felt the same way when I started studying the material, but you have to know the material for the test no matter how pointless we feel some of the topics are.

Good luck.
    "Me fail English? That's unpossible."
  • sujee27sujee27 Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
    let me tell you one thing. Preplogic is a nono!
    Trust me bud. Never trust in preplogic

trust in mike meyers
    transcender
    exam cram (optional)

websites including:
    techexams.net
    mcmcse.com
    proprofs.com
    etc.

also cbt is good.
    This goes out to all test takers even if you get 100% in all tests preplogic premium provides you you are still not guaranteed to pass. Your story is that preplogic is all that you used and your experience. Use more study materials experience doesn't always help on these kinds of tests.
  • plettnerplettner Member Posts: 197
    sujee27 wrote:
    let me tell you one thing. Preplogic is a nono!
    Trust me bud. Never trust in preplogic

Can I ask why no Preplogic?
  • sujee27sujee27 Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
    preplogic is just too easy unless you've gotten 95%+ on preplogic it is unlikely you will pass with just preplogic. I had the premium version for OS and core. When i was doing the OS portion i took the preplogic tests and got high scores without even studying that much. Then i took transcender and constantly failed. Of course i passed my real OS but preplogic is just too easy.
  • billgbillg Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    My question to you would be how many books did you use to study and I don't mean free study guides and practice tests. I have been working with computers since 1978 and I am still reading 4 books to study for the A+ exam. I know that there are some out there that can just read a couple of study guides and take the test but that doesn't include me.