Seeking Advice on Job Hunt

StevenK246StevenK246 Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello everyone!

I thought I’d post here to get some advice on job hunting and just the general path I’m heading down.

Currently, I have no degree, have never had a job, and have been working on acquiring certifications towards a system administrator position for the past year and a half. I have the A+, Network+, and MCTS: Windows 7, Configuring certifications, as shown on the left.

I have been looking for a job for the past 2 months but haven’t really gotten anywhere. I have had a few calls, but it feels like the jobs I am interested in require some travel and I currently don’t own a vehicle. Not to mention that since I haven’t really had any experience, I don’t know what kind of job my skills qualify for. I do prefer hands-on over taking calls, though.

I’m usually on Monster, Indeed, ZipRecruiter searching through these titles:

Desktop Support Technician
Desktop Support Engineer
System Engineer
Computer Support
Technical Support

So my question is, am I possibly doing this wrong? Should I be looking for any job remotely related to technology for the time being just to get some work experience?

Any help/advice would be much appreciated.
Thanks in advance!

Comments

• TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Unfortunately for you, the lack of experience is hurting you a lot. The positions you are looking at if you look at the job descriptions they require someone with a few years of experience. You might have to look at starting somewhere at a lower level like a Helpdesk position in order for your 2nd job or your third job to justify your certifications. Right now, you have the book smarts but not the street smarts as they say, aka experience.
    Do not worry though, just be positive and keep applying to all the jobs your see, you never know, someone might take a chance on you. Aslo Helpdesk is not always bad, its very valuable experience even though is not taken in high regards. Besides you do not have to stay there longer than 1 year or 6 months. Keep up with the certs too.
  • DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
    As mentioned above you need to start small with help desk and move up from there. It also hurts you that you don't have a car unless you live in a city then mass transit is fine.

Keep up with your certifications and keep pushing forward.

In IT you need to get your foot in the door and then work your way up. Each job should be more and more challenging, right now as most in IT will find your book smarts will help you get in the door but your experience there after will super-seed your certifications unless of course for a certifications whore then well your a genius!
  • StevenK246StevenK246 Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thank you for the replies!

Should help desk be what I aim for right now then, or should I even consider a technical consultant position at Sprint or T-mobile as a starting point, for example? I assume help desk is where you begin in this field but this has always confused me a little. Is it still valuable experience to take something in retail over a help desk position?
  • TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    StevenK246 wrote: »
    Thank you for the replies!

Should help desk be what I aim for right now then, or should I even consider a technical consultant position at Sprint or T-mobile as a starting point, for example? I assume help desk is where you begin in this field but this has always confused me a little. Is it still valuable experience to take something in retail over a help desk position?

No, retail would not be an option for you unless you want to go into a a position as a technology sales person and working for a vendor to sale their products. But really, start at Helpdesk, it is a good starting point and you will learn a lot.
    Alrighty, gotcha!

Thanks a bunch for all the help, both of you.
  • MeanDrunkR2D2MeanDrunkR2D2 Member Posts: 899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    So if I read this correctly, you don't have any work experience at all? Not even retail/fast food/whatever?

You'll have a tough road to get an in unless you can really knock their socks off in an interview. While I completely detest Best Buy and Geek Squad, that may be your best shot, since you do have the A+. But I'd completely focus on helpdesk jobs and work hard to get an in at one. Keep in mind, you may be going against others who may have degrees and are recent grads where the lack of work experience can be easily overcome as they have that degree and time in school. Entry level is the helpdesk and that's what you should be focusing on. You may need to pick up a temporary job to earn money to be able to buy a car as many companies will want to make sure that you have a vehicle just to even make it to work, unless you are in an area that has great public transportation. I've had that question asked to me early on in my career and they really wanted to make sure I could reliably make it to work on my own and not call in. Apparently they've been burnt in the past with employees that had no reliable transportation to get to and do their job properly.
  • kiki162kiki162 Member Posts: 635 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I've done the Best Buy route when I first started out. You can try Computer Sales, and/or attempt to get into Geek Squad. I remember the test they make you take for GS was really ridiculous, and wasn't quite in line with the job duties. Hopefully that's changed since then.

If that's the next best thing, then go for it. It will give you a feel for what to expect, and some things won't catch you by surprise when working at a help desk. If I were you, I'd complete more certs and push yourself hard. Start setting goals for yourself, obtain them, and the jobs will follow.
  • Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The first thing you need to remember is nobody started with experience. EVER.

With that said most people pick up a job in high school or college. Can you show an academic or athletic reason for the lack of work experience. Basically if you tell someone you have never had a job you need to provide a good story. Otherwise they are likely to assume you were a slacker just skating by. Nobody wants to give the slacker a chance!

Keep applying for anything and everything entry level help desk. Try to ask friends and family if they have any leads. Knowing someone that knows someone is your best shot at being given a good break early. Other then that you need to find a foot in the door and make a good impression.

Last thing is get a car. Make it appear reliable even if it's not. For a lot of entry level positions this is a must because many bosses have been burned by poor transportation. Don't ever be late at your first job. It seems little but your boss has better things to worry about then if your coming in.
    Thanks for all the replies once again!

I think I might look for a help desk job while studying to finish my MCSA for the next month and if I can't find one by the time I'm done, I will give Best Buy a shot. That way I can at least get some money for a car and build social skills.

Never really had much of an opportunity for early jobs, spent my high school years in Greece where I didn't really speak the language too well. Moved back here, got my GED, and started studying.