Fun story, I've interviewed with 10 people from the same company in two weeks.

ThackerThacker Member Posts: 170
For reference, I've interviewed with more people at this company than my former company had employees total.

I applied for a position about a month back on Indeed.

Interview 1

I was contacted and given an hour long interview with a recruiter that works for the company. We determined that it wouldn't be a good fit but discussed that if any other opportunities that matched my skill set better came available I would be willing to talk.

Interview 2

Two weeks later, another recruiter with the same company contacts me saying a better position is available. We go back over my qualifications and do a basic interview and then I am invited in for lunch.

Interview 3 - 6

I go in for lunch at the companies location. I met the manager of the department I would be working for. The same day I meet with a lead engineer and two others that work in the department and speak about my resume and experience with all of them one by one.

Interview 7 - 8

Two days later I am invited back to the companies location for an interview with a vice president and then a senior DBA. One by one, and I am out of there in two hours.

Interview 9

As I leave, I get a phone call from someone saying they are disappointed that I left as they wanted to speak with me. (I was told onsite by the recruiter that I was finished for the day). I scheduled a phone call for this person later in the day.

Interview 10

Earlier today I had a 30 minute call with yet another department manager.

In total, I've spent 10.5 hours interviewing with a total of 10 different people within the same organization and I still don't know if I have impressed the right people to get a job offer as some of the interviews went very well; others I spent the entire time saying that I didn't have experience with specific technologies but I was willing to learn and progress.

Fun times.

Comments

• markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    So either they really like you or are extremely disorganized with their interview process...or maybe both. Either way, good luck.
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    If for some reason you don't get the job we are to unleash the TE fury on them. Just say the words.
  • BJ4ITBJ4IT Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    If for some reason you don't get the job we are to unleash the TE fury on them. Just say the words.

Not a group I'd wanna f*ck around with.
    2015 Goals:
    CCENT
    CCNA
    CCNA Security
  • ThackerThacker Member Posts: 170

Haha.

I literally have no clue if they are moving forward or not. I've not really received any feedback and the only discussion of compensation was initially I gave a number of what I was in the market for. Of course since then there's been a lot that I have learned about the position including what appears to be some pretty severe on call.. so hopefully if an offer does come through they will have flexibility in what I initially stated.
  • bpennbpenn Member Posts: 499
    10 interviews? Haha, it makes me think that the whole department has plenty of time on their hands if they can send that many employees to do an interview. That, or they just REALLY want to make sure you are a fit for their clique. Did they ask you what your hobbies are?
    "If your dreams dont scare you - they ain't big enough" - Life of Dillon
  • Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□

Assemble the brute squad!!

I read the subject line more as something that happened to me a few months ago. We wanted to hire a new employee, 5 people got through enough of the prescreening to come in for interviews. 4 of them worked for the same company, awkward... What was interesting in doing it though was seeing the different ways people perceived the same decisions in tech made by their current company. In the end we hired the guy who didn't work with that same group but I imagine at some point one of them is going to fess up to interviewing at our company and a lot of people in the room will all blush at once.
  • NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I would send thank you letters to all you have interviewed with
    Sample Thank You Letters for After a Job Interview

thank-you notes: they're not about thanking anyone
    nd they’ve really done everyone a disservice by using the term “thank-you notes.” These aren’t really thank-you notes at all, but rather follow-up notes. After all, most interviewers don’t really care if you thank them for the interview; they’re not interviewing you to be charitable but rather because they might want to enter into a business arrangement with you that they’ll benefit from. So your note shouldn’t be as much about thanking them as it should be about building on the conversation from the interview. They’re “follow-up notes,” not “thank-you notes.”

Sending a Post-Interview Thank You? Don't Make These 5 Mistakes - US News
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • Jency83Jency83 Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Sounds like a government agency to me, lol
  • paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I can never decide if investing in so many interviews is a good thing or a bad thing. I generally fall into the camp that if an employer is willing to invest in an employee for the long term, making sure that there is a good fit and high consensus is a good thing. But at the same time, with too much consensus, a decision may never happen.

Personally, I've as a candidate, I've enjoyed longer interviews because I also get to see if I want to work there.

Either way, I hope it works out for you.
  • SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    Tell them at this point, you'll only interview further if it is at the bar or in the bedroom.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    Thacker wrote: »
    I go in for lunch at the companies location.

did you actually eat with them? to me that seems super awkward
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
    Mike-Mike wrote: »
    did you actually eat with them? to me that seems super awkward

I did, in a room with almost 70 of their employees. As someone who has a bit of social anxiety anyway... yes it was semi awkward.
  • Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    I would hate that.

i assume this job is a large company? In my current role and a recent interview, I met with probably 10 people. both are very large companies, Fortune 100. Current role was spread out over multiple visits. My recent interview was 3 different days with multiple people per day.
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    Sounds like a managed service provider I know over near downers grove Illinois. Most people I know that interviewed with them said it took 8-10 interviews.
  • nascar_paulnascar_paul Member Posts: 288 ■■■□□□□□□□
    paul78 wrote: »
    I can never decide if investing in so many interviews is a good thing or a bad thing. I generally fall into the camp that if an employer is willing to invest in an employee for the long term, making sure that there is a good fit and high consensus is a good thing. But at the same time, with too much consensus, a decision may never happen.

Personally, I've as a candidate, I've enjoyed longer interviews because I also get to see if I want to work there.

Either way, I hope it works out for you.

I suffer from a little social anxiety, so I try to see those things a fun exercises in getting to know and understand people. I think that we lose sight of the end goal in some of the technical details. You can know everything about everything, but if you stink and can't communicate, you'll never get the job (or the benefits or the salary).
    2017 Goals: 70-411 [X], 74-409 [X], 70-533 [X], VCP5-DCV [], LX0-103 [], LX0-104 []
    "I PLAN to fail!" - No One Ever
    Just a short bump.

After my last interview, I was told I had to talk to one more person "before an offer".

After that was finished, I was contacted the next day to tell discuss money, confirm a number and they sent over their benefits package. I felt something was odd because I was told they "would make a final decision within 2 days"

Well two days, was 4 days ago. I finally reached out this morning for an update and I was told I was not selected as they have decided to go a different path with the position.

Very weird process, and disappointing overall. I suspect they wouldn't even have sent me an update if I didn't reach out for one.
  • kiki162kiki162 Member Posts: 635 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I've had weird interviews like that over the past few years. One interview I had 3-4 phone/in person interviews with one company over the course of 2 months, and the manager couldn't make up his mind. The last time he called me there was a 5 weeks gap, saying he had changed his mind and wanted to re-consider me in the running. Told him I wasn't going to waste my time, and moved on.

Another position I had more recently, the head manager/director of the group went back and forth with for about 6 weeks. When he asked for my availability for a phone interview, I gave a few days/times, then e-mails me a Calendar invite. I had to ask the guy for the address of the building, and instructions on how to get in. Eventually I got in for an interview, but the guy never showed up. Instead were managers of 3 other departments. Even the HR POC was no where to be found. Asked about benefits, and said we don't give that information out till we give you an offer and accept. Once HR did call with an offer, told her I had another job offer, then she hung up. icon_twisted.gif
  • MitechniqMitechniq Member Posts: 286 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm frustrated just reading this thread...icon_redface.gif
  • nofear187nofear187 Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I interviewed as an internal candidate for a VMware support role at NG/Vita in Chester, VA and then excepts the job offer that the hiring manager named Dave Mathews made to me in good faith. Only to be told by the same piece of **** that he was lying and reined on that same job offer. the real bad thing about this is that NG/vita talks over and over again about "best practices" and SLA but are still beyond dysfunctional and their executives up in Falls Church, VA refuse to crack down of this mismanagement and other issues/error at the CESC/vita , Chester, VA NOC site and state wide. !
    Mitechniq wrote: »
    I'm frustrated just reading this thread...icon_redface.gif

Yea, like an idiot I spent a week not applying / pursuing other positions... so back to square one. 290 applications in 1.5 months so far. I love this industry.
  • scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Thacker wrote: »
    Yea, like an idiot I spent a week not applying / pursuing other positions... so back to square one. 290 applications in 1.5 months so far. I love this industry.
    I have had that happen. Got the offer, it required top secret clearance which they assured me would go off without a hitch. Well, a hitch happened and the offer was rescinded. Darn that Edward Snowden. Plus, I have other stories of going on interviews that would make you cringe. LOL
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
    Wow dude...
    I wonder if their team/projects/the whole company would be a cluster too...

Maybe it's for the better, hang in there and keep applying!
    meh
  • JasionoJasiono Member Posts: 896 ■■■■□□□□□□
    They should have paid you for all that time

I once interviewed for a position at a company I worked for and it put me well into overtime which I was paid for.

Was a 6 hour long interview.
    kurosaki00 wrote: »
    Wow dude...
    I wonder if their team/projects/the whole company would be a cluster too...

Maybe it's for the better, hang in there and keep applying!

Their glassdoor says they have had 30 people resign in the past year. I declined the first chance to interview with them over a month ago citing this as a reason. The next time their recruiter contacted me he promised there were big changes in the organization and they were making a conceited effort to fix a lot of the problems they had seen.

The biggest issue I have with this isn't really getting rejected. Yea.. it sucks, but the fact I didn't get any real feedback on why I wasn't selected. They continued pushing me into interviews and at each stage I was told the previous interviewer had recommended me.

Also, having interviewers say things at the end of the interview like "Hope to see you here in this office soon" ... etc etc.

Part of me thinks the money I wanted was too much, but it was market rate for the position. It seems like if that was actually the case they would have spoken with me about their budget as well...

Just confusing to invest this much time and get no where.
  • scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    30 people is too many people resign. Stay away from that company. Hang in there. Interviewing is not for the faint hearted!!
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • AwesomeGarrettAwesomeGarrett Member Posts: 257
    Thacker, are you currently employed?
    Thacker, are you currently employed?

Yes, but not in an IT position. I've been out of the industry for about 6 months now.
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Well, this sucks. Although it sounds like you dodged a bullet. Just give the word and I'll release the TE kraken on them.
  • kiki162kiki162 Member Posts: 635 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Yeah sounds like you dodged the problem. Remember that although it's nerve wracking, the right job comes along when you least expect it. Keep going and don't give up!
  • BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    wait...u didn't discuss pay up front first? And then you did all those interviews to not be selected??? couldn't be me doing that...
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)