What Router / Wireless Router are you using at home?

VinnyCiscoVinnyCisco Member Posts: 176
Would like to know what type of Routers / Wireless Routers everyone is using these days. My wireless router has been running great for years, so great I have totally forgot about it. But I am looking to upgrade, and I just wanted to see a sample of what you guys have and what your thoughts are regarding the best home based routers out there. If some of you are using Cisco gear at the home, I want to know about that also. :)
"Failure is the prerequisite of Success" - V. G.

Comments

• iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I've been rocking a Netgear R7000 flashed with DD-WRT for the last 2 years and it has been very reliable
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • MTciscoguyMTciscoguy Member Posts: 552
    I have an actiontec router/modem combination, got tired of the ISP I have charging me monthly for their piece of junk, had it for a few years now and never had a problem with it.
    Current Lab: 4 C2950 WS, 1 C2950G EI, 3 1841, 2 2503, Various Modules, Parts and Pieces. Dell Power Edge 1850, Dell Power Edge 1950.
  • scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    ASUS router
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • pevangelpevangel Member Posts: 342
    I have Pakedge APs sitting behind a Juniper SRX210-POE. A little much for most homes but I wanted to have good connectivity while I'm in my backyard.

I had an ASUS-N66U before and it worked very well.
  • dark3ddark3d Member Posts: 76 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Mikrotik RB1100. Running bridged ports to VMWare host and trunked ports to a HP switch. It's no fun unless you can make different manufacturers equipment work together. :)
    CISSP - January 2015
    WGU B.S. IT - Security (2/1/2015-6/16/2015)
    Working on: MSISA/Radware/Fortinet/Juniper/PAN

• kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    Asus router (not paying Comcast 8 to 10 a month for some junk combo box) which runs to a Fortinet 90D that trunks to the rest my home network.

Wireless is a single Meraki MR18 AP.
  • nelson8403nelson8403 Member Posts: 220 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have a 5 port PC I got from china running pfsense as my router. It runs snort/squid for IPS/Proxy filtering and then I have a Ubiquiti access point for my wireless.
    Bachelor of Science, IT Security
    Master of Science, Information Security and Assurance

CCIE Security Progress: Written Pass (06/2016), 1st Lab Attempt (11/2016)
  • MitechniqMitechniq Member Posts: 286 ■■■■□□□□□□
    TP-LINK Archer C9 Dual Wireless Router and an Arris/Motorola Surfboard SB6141 Modem..
  • mrvnmrvn Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I use an Asus RT-N66U flashed with Tomato by Shibby firmware, works great.
  • joelsfoodjoelsfood Member Posts: 1,027 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Dlink DIR-868L

Like others, I refuse to pay rent on a cheap combo modem/AP, particularly as I use xfinity and that means I'd then be sharing my bandwidth with anyone who was an xfinity wifi user and came by my house. Unlikely, since we're at end of a culdesac, but I don't share well. :)
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
  • EngRobEngRob Member Posts: 247 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Ubiquiti AP's for Wifi, Motorola Surfboard Cable modem, Check Point GW (temp)
  • hurricane1091hurricane1091 Member Posts: 919 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I have an Apple Airport. I thought it would help to use that as a router and use the ISP device strictly as a modem and not as a combo as intended. Didn't help. Bought a modem but it didn't support phone, so had to return it. Basically just lost interest and gave up as that point since it wasn't that important.
  • SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    A $20 TP Link router. (I never bought into the high end "gaming" type routers that cost $100+.) Also use a POE adapter to get me internet up in my office without having to use wifi or do a long ethernet run.

Motorola SB6121 modem. Solid.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • MowMow Member Posts: 445 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Meraki MX 64 for firewall, Meraki MR 32 for wireless.
  • W StewartW Stewart Member Posts: 794 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I've got an asus router running tomatousb firmware. Openvpn connection to my house and an adblock script running on the router so I don't have to use the firefox addon.
  • VinnyCiscoVinnyCisco Member Posts: 176
    Thanks for the ideas everyone. I am using a Linksys and I have had it a few years and never an issue. This is why it was forgotten. This weekend I was updating the MAC Address table and really thought about it and I need to upgrade it regardless. Not in a rush though since it works great for it's use at the moment. :) Anybody else want to chime in, go right ahead.

Have a good night all.
  • techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Main is an old linksys 11n gigabit, have a linksys 11n FE backup that I use as a protected guest network and range extender. Both are tomato'd. Plan on buying possibly a ubiquiti LR, they have great signal but I'm not keen on their unifi software, at least for 1 AP.
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
  • kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    VinnyCisco wrote: »
    Thanks for the ideas everyone. I am using a Linksys and I have had it a few years and never an issue. This is why it was forgotten. This weekend I was updating the MAC Address table and really thought about it and I need to upgrade it regardless. Not in a rush though since it works great for it's use at the moment. :) Anybody else want to chime in, go right ahead.

Have a good night all.

For APs before I went to the Meraki I had an Aruba IAP-105 and loved it. I would even consider one of those off eBay.
  • VinnyCiscoVinnyCisco Member Posts: 176
    Thanks Kohr-ah for the adivce.
  • NightShade1NightShade1 Member Posts: 433 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Aruba Mobility Access Switch 12P doing the routing and switching, and i got 2 Aruba IAP 225 covering my apartment for wifi

Cheers
    Carlos
  • philz1982philz1982 Member Posts: 978
    D-Link AC3200 Ultra Wi-Fi Router (DIR-890L/R)
  • santaownssantaowns Member Posts: 366
    Mikrotik crs109 and a Mikrotik rb 951g. I have the 951 connection to my lab which uses cable internet and the crs109 connection to my home devices which connects to my dsl. The links backup each other through bgp. :)
  • discount81discount81 Member Posts: 213
    zyxel usg 20 as router/firewall, good device for the price, much better than dlink/netgear/linksys type devices.

Now that small Netgate devices are cheap I'll probably get one of them and put VyOS or pfSense on there to be my firewall
    http://www.darvilleit.com - a blog I write about IT and technology.
  • jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    TP Link TD-W9980 ... Massive feature set.
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • D-boyD-boy Member Posts: 595
    I got the Asus DSL-N55U ADSL2+ Dual-Band Modem/Router, currently using it on BT! It's the "Dark knight" of routers. I have it wall mounted in my hallway, Full coverage all over the flat! Very reliable...

Link: Networking | DSL-N55U Annex A | ASUS UK
  • ImYourOnlyDJImYourOnlyDJ Member Posts: 180
    Cisco 881w :) and also playing around with some Cisco APs.
  • RomBUSRomBUS Member Posts: 699 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Netgear Nighthawk AC
  • praminpramin Member Posts: 138 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have a sonicwall wireless router.

Out of curiousity; has any installed a second wireless router to extend wireless range.
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    I have a Nighthawk AC1900 (stock) in the basement as my primary and an Asus RT-N16 (DDWRT) in bridge mode to connect my 2nd floor office devices. No issues with any of them.