how is the protocol determined in EIGRP?

johnifanx98johnifanx98 Member Posts: 329
EIGRP has protocol dependent modules. I thought there would be commands prompting to select which protocol to use like IP, IPX or AppleTalk. However, there is none. Is the router automatically detecting it when mounting the interfaces?

Comments

• DCDDCD Member Posts: 473 ■■■■□□□□□□
    First you have to have the correct IOS then you need to enable IPX and AppleTalk. Neither one of these are in much use today.
  • theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You use "ipx router eigrp <asn>" instead of "router eigrp <asn>" for IPX. Of course, IPX has to be enabled ("ipx routing") and configured ("ipx network <network>" under the interface) first.
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]
  • OfWolfAndManOfWolfAndMan Member Posts: 923 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I wouldn't worry much about either of those protocols. Both obsolete and no one uses them. The only thing I still see in corporate is Decnet.
    :study:Reading: Lab Books, Ansible Documentation, Python Cookbook 2018 Goals: More Ansible/Python work for Automation, IPSpace Automation Course [X], Build Jenkins Framework for Network Automation []
  • theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Both were dropped from IOS somewhere around 15.3 or 15.4. IPX/SPX used to be big back when people were still using servers running Novell NetWare 3 (1990) and NetWare 4 (1993). Novell added TCP/IP support in NetWare 5 (1998 ) and IPX/SPX has been in decline ever since. IPX Routing was on the CCNA when I attended the NetAcademy (2001). I still have the workbooks somewhere where we configured IPX Static Routes. I also seem to remember doing IPX with EIGRP. I don't remember ever working with AppleTalk other than having to know what it was.
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]