Options

Cisco Path for Cyber Security Track

roninkaironinkai Member Posts: 307 ■■■■□□□□□□
Hey guys (and gals). My cert plans may have changed slightly. After talking again to a counselor at WGU, I learned they pick up the tab on both CEH and CHFI, as well as give you 2 vouchers each in case you fail. That being said, studying CEH on my own right now might not be the best use of my time. My job right now is essentially to "cert up", as I'm awaiting a clearance. I just passed MCSA yesterday. I don't really want to continue down the MCSA path right now, as I want to focus on certs that compliment the cyber security career path. I have a decent networking background and understanding, but no certs. Maybe I should do some Cisco assessment tests, but I'm trying to find out if I can jump right into a CCNA R/S path and skip over CCNET. Is CCNET pretty basic? I'd like to go after CCNA Security, but that requires CCNA R/S first. I'd say I'm rusty in networking, having been away from IT since 07', but I'm not a noob either. I've got the fundamentals. Any suggestions on which path to go that will help a career in Cyber Security, as well as be beneficial on the CEH test (plenty of networking questions I hear). And...why can't I hit carriage return for line breaks? Damn IE.
浪人 MSISA:WGU
ICP-FDO ▪ CISSP ▪ ECES ▪ CHFI ▪ CNDA ▪ CEH ▪ MCSA/MCITP ▪ MCTS ▪ S+
2020 Level Up Goals: (1) DevSecOps Learning Path (2) OSCP

Comments

• Options
    MooseboostMooseboost Member Posts: 778 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You have two options for CCNA: A two part exam (ICND1 and ICND2), and the composite exam. ICND1 is the "CCENT". While an entry level certification, you will find it significantly more difficult than Network+. If you do not have interest in the R&S, you can obtain the CCENT - which with Ciscos new hierarchy will allow you to take the CCNA Security exams.

You can read the specific details here:

Associate Certifications - IT Certifications and Career Paths - Cisco Systems
  • Options
    roninkaironinkai Member Posts: 307 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Thanks for the info. I've been working on ICND1, which I'm finding I dont know nearly as much as I thought I did. But thankfully I have a basic understanding and I feel I can skip N+ and go straight for CCENT.
    浪人 MSISA:WGU
    ICP-FDO ▪ CISSP ▪ ECES ▪ CHFI ▪ CNDA ▪ CEH ▪ MCSA/MCITP ▪ MCTS ▪ S+
    2020 Level Up Goals: (1) DevSecOps Learning Path (2) OSCP