NOC Interview

fitzybhoyfitzybhoy Member Posts: 60 ■■■□□□□□□□
Got an interview with HP for a NOC position. Although I have a degree in networking I've never actually held a networking position before and have had difficulty obtaining interviews for network positions.

I would appreciate tips, questions,scenarios etc. that might be asked for this type of position.

I currently do app support and have interviewed for HP before for this type of position. Unfortunately, the position was pulled due to funding and it went no further.
I was surprised at how laid-back the interview was, although, googling HP interviews, interview experience differs from candidate to candidate, with ranging from my own laid-back experience to uptight and very measured/controlled technique.
I'm thinking that they may focus on the topics on my CV, which I'm entirely comfortable with, I tend not to lie/exaggerate on my resume.
What I struggle with is scenarios; what would you do if...
Can someone offer up this type of question that they have been asked and how they answered it.

Comments

• DAVIS NGUYENDAVIS NGUYEN Member Posts: 1,472 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Kinet1cKinet1c Member Posts: 604 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'd imagine it will come down to how you manage alerts/calls, common port numbers, basic network troubleshooting (ping, traceroute, netstat etc.) and maybe some of the more generic stuff like "what would you do if..."
    2018 Goals - Learn all the Hashicorp products

Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity
  • Kai123Kai123 Member Posts: 364 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Out of curiosity, what kind of access technology does the roll cover and what were the job specs? I could chime in from an ISP NOC role perspective but it might be very different depending on what your doing and monitoring.
  • slee335slee335 Member Posts: 124
    if its like my noc. just need to know the basic of network diagram, how to call up carrier for outage, send out notification to clients,when to escalate ticket to network engineer, maybe some show command to show uptime, ipconfig, and customer service answering call writing ticket. learning what to do with your down time.
  • ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
    slee335 wrote: »
    if its like my noc. just need to know the basic of network diagram, how to call up carrier for outage, send out notification to clients,when to escalate ticket to network engineer, maybe some show command to show uptime, ipconfig, and customer service answering call writing ticket. learning what to do with your down time.

That is depressing, no offense. There is probably alot of variations on requirements in a NOC. When I worked in a NOC (for a major cable company) my interview questions were about routing protocols, they gave me a subnet problem to solve, and they asked me to describe scenarios in previous employment where I was under alot of pressure and how I handled it.

At the NOC I worked at we were flooded with alerts 24/7, sure, but we had to do basic troubleshooting and resolve the issue if it was within the domain of our understanding...and only beyond that would we kick it up to a network engineer Tier II. We were reprimanded and a couple of people even fired for what boils down to a lack of critical thinking and basic problem solving skills.
    Climb a mountain, tell no one.
  • fitzybhoyfitzybhoy Member Posts: 60 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Was offered position on Friday. Provisionally accepted pending security and reference checks.
  • MooseboostMooseboost Member Posts: 778 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats on the position!
  • DyasisDyasis Member Posts: 97 ■■□□□□□□□□
    fitzybhoy wrote: »
    Was offered position on Friday. Provisionally accepted pending security and reference checks.

What was the interview like? What type of technical questions did they ask if they did?
  • Kinet1cKinet1c Member Posts: 604 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats! Hope it goes well for you.
    2018 Goals - Learn all the Hashicorp products

Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity