Toughest Exam in the MCSE Track?

Just wondering what you think the toughest examn in the MCSE track is?

I plan on the following:

70-270
70-290
70-291
Elective (already done security+)

Gets MCSA

70-297 or 70-298
Gets MCSE

Thanks

Comments

• frankj1247frankj1247 Member Posts: 111
    Here is my assessment with 1-10

70-270 = 5
    70-290 = 6
    70-291 = 8 or 9
    Elective (already done security+)

Gets MCSA

293 = 6 ( studied for this exam before for only 2 weeks and almost passed).
    294 = I have not taken the exam, but I have heard that it is easy.

70-297 or 70-298 = cannot comment, no idea.

Gets MCSE

Thanks
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Yup, I've heard the same thing. 70-91 was pretty tough, and most people say that it's the toughest in the track. I guess 70-293 is supposed to be difficult, as well, but it's just a different approach to the same material from 70-291.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • !30!30 Member Posts: 356
    I think if you have the basic knowledge with CCNA , 291 is easy altough icon_rolleyes.gif
    Optimism is an occupational hazard of programming: feedback is the treament. (Kent Beck)
  • LukeQuakeLukeQuake Member Posts: 579 ■■■□□□□□□□
    !30 wrote:
    I think if you have the basic knowledge with CCNA , 291 is easy altough icon_rolleyes.gif

Says the man who hasn't passed it yet? :) (joke)
  • bcairnsbcairns Member Posts: 280
    Thanks for the feedback guys!

Going to look into each one a little more, but really leaning tward CCNA at the moment.
  • tuscanituscani Member Posts: 121
    the 292 was the worst Microsoft exam I have even taken.
  • Danman32Danman32 Member Posts: 1,243
    justindu wrote:

Me too. Since I took 292, I can't comment on 290 or 291. Took 210 for client, since XP wasn't out yet or had just come out when I took it.
  • TeKniquesTeKniques Member Posts: 1,262 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I would have to agree that the 291 was the hardest of all the MCSE tests I took. Although, I have never taken the upgrade exams (292 and 296) I have heard through the grapevine that they are indeed the hardest exams.

In order from hardest to easiest for me:

!30 wrote:

Although I do not have a CCNA I would have to disagree with this statement. First and foremost, there is hardly any subnetting stuff that you are really tested on. Maybe doing a few calcs here and there, but nothing that is too extreme. Secondly, it's all vendor specific MS stuff. So unless you have some pretty decent experience setting up DNS, RRAS, DHCP, and some basic MS network security principles all using Windows Server 2003 ... having a CCNA won't do you that much good for this exam.

Of course, this is my opinion and since I don't have a CCNA, I could be wrong, but it is just how I see it. Take it with a grain of salt :D
  • RTmarcRTmarc Member Posts: 1,082 ■■■□□□□□□□
    TeKniques wrote:
    !30 wrote:

First and foremost, there is hardly any subnetting stuff that you are really tested on. Maybe doing a few calcs here and there, but nothing that is too extreme. Secondly, it's all vendor specific MS stuff. So unless you have some pretty decent experience setting up DNS, RRAS, DHCP, and some basic MS network security principles all using Windows Server 2003 ... having a CCNA won't do you that much good for this exam.
    I agree.
  • Danman32Danman32 Member Posts: 1,243
    I second that. CCNA is quite different from MS exams.
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    I think that having a CCNA doesn't help you on the 70-291 exam, in particular, no. However, I do believe that a lot of what's covered counterbalances CCNA well, and some of the work expected of you after passing this test is very relevant to CCNA. So, CCNA helps someone studying for 70-291. . . just, not to pass the test. icon_confused.gif

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • skaeightskaeight Member Posts: 130
    Having just recently passed the CCNA exam, I can say with some certainty that it won't help you with 70-291 all that much. The only areas of crossover are maybe subnetting and PPP.
  • Gabe7055Gabe7055 Member Posts: 158
    Danman32 wrote:
    justindu wrote:

Me too. Since I took 292, I can't comment on 290 or 291. Took 210 for client, since XP wasn't out yet or had just come out when I took it.

Me three. 292 was the toughest exam I have taken yet.