Options

Go for CCNP or wait?

homerj742homerj742 Member Posts: 251
Hello everyone,

I passed my CCNA this last weekend,

Question now is: I want to go for the CCSP and CCNP. Naturally, one would go for the CCNP first, however with these new exams out, I would rather study for the newer material. I just have to wait for the books to come out. So what do I do in the mean time? Study for the CCSP? wait? Get a Microsoft Cert while waiting (server 2k3??)

Comments

• Options
    PCHoldmannPCHoldmann Member Posts: 450
    A microsoft cert might not be a bad idea, if you want to stay with Cisco, but wait for the new material, you might get a copy of Jeff Doyle's routing TCP/IP vol1, yes, I know, it's CCIE material, but the knowledge you gain will put you well on your way for the CCNP and beyound without being specific to the current exams.
    There's no place like ^$
    Visit me at Route, Switch, Blog
  • Options
    JVEJVE Member Posts: 76 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Vol II i heard is better? Actually I have the Vol II so i think it is great. Anyway, I am going for CCNP because I want CCIE! So I just want CCNP to get past the mark, but CCIE is in my sites. I need that, I want that!
  • Options
    PCHoldmannPCHoldmann Member Posts: 450
    Volume I is IGPs, Vol II is BGP, mcast routing, and some other advanced topics. I would (and am currently) finish Vol I before going into Vol II.

Unless you are refering to Vol I, 2nd edition, which is the current version of Vol I.
    There's no place like ^$
    Visit me at Route, Switch, Blog
  • Options
    JVEJVE Member Posts: 76 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I am sorry, i mean second edition then! :D Sorry!!
  • Options
    HumperHumper Member Posts: 647
    JVE wrote:
    I am sorry, i mean second edition then! :D Sorry!!

Yes Routing TCP/IP Volume 1 and 2 are excellent books.
    Now working full time!
  • Options
    homerj742homerj742 Member Posts: 251
    While I'm waiting for the new CCNP books, I think I might just use the CCNP prep center to get "started" on CCNP.

And persue the MCP (Win2k3) aggressively. It'll help me utilize the last few months of the year before the CCNP books come out. My job now requires alot of time with Win2k3, so it's a good idea to get certed in it.