Options

HP networking path?

We have cisco switches at work and are looking at moving to hp's. If I wanted to learn the cli and get some experience is there any good books?

Comments

• Options
    devils_haircutdevils_haircut Member Posts: 284 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Honestly, there isn't much difference between Cisco and HP command line (not counting the old 3com switches, which do have a "secret" CLI, but are mostly web-based configuration).

The only thing different about HP switches is the way they handle VLANs. So, for example, this is a scrubbed sample of our VLAN config at one of the sites where I currently work:

vlan 20
    name "Data"
    untagged 1-24,33-37,39,41
    tagged 25-32,46-52
    no ip address
    ip igmp
    exit
    vlan 21
    name "Labs"
    tagged 25-32,46-52
    no ip address
    ip igmp
    exit
    vlan 22
    name "VOIP"
    tagged 25-32,46-52
    no ip address
    exit

So instead of the whole "switchport access vlan 20" command you would find on Cisco, you instead would do:

conf t
    vlan 20
    untagged 30

...to assign port 30 to vlan 20 as an access port. If you wanted to tag a vlan on a trunk (or uplink) port, you would do a:

conf t
    vlan 20
    tagged 47-48

...which would tag VLAN 20 on ports 47 and 48. It's a little bit different, but it feels pretty logical to me now that I've been using them for a while. The rest of the commands are extremely similar. Here's a link to a PDF that walks through most of the configuration options on the switches we are using. They should be very similar across all models.

http://h20628.www2.hp.com/km-ext/kmcsdirect/emr_na-c03594944-1.pdf