what to change career path from technical to management rather than going MBA .....?

AlluriAlluri Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
what to change career path from technical to management rather than going MBA .....?

Any suggestions ?

Comments

• twodogs62twodogs62 Member Posts: 393 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Project mgmt

PMP
    CAPM

CISSP
  • WilliamK99WilliamK99 Member Posts: 278
    You are going to have a very difficult time changing career paths from technical to management with just certifications and nothing else. Not saying it is impossible, but just because you have a PMP or CISSP doesn't mean it will get you hired. With PMP, you need to prove so many years of experience before you can even apply to take the exam. The key is building experience , take on some minor leadership/management roles in your organization, get some management experience, then supplement that with management certifications.
  • moonkhan1moonkhan1 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    You are going to have a very difficult time changing career paths from technical to management with just certifications and nothing else.
  • thehayn1thehayn1 Member Posts: 46 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I agree with everyone else, it is going to be "almost" impossible to do it without an MBA... BUT heres something I noticed (I have an MBA) that is very important regardless if you have an MBA or not. Speaking ability and People skills. Managers do exactly that... "manage" and they are most often managing people, so if you're not a personable guy and can't inspire others to perform, it won't matter if you have an MBA or not. With speaking skills, this one is dropped all the time. As a manager you need to be able to articulate your message up and down the corporate chain in order to be successful.. again thats with or without an MBA.
  • paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    You don't necessarily need an MBA to be a manager. I don't have one, actually, I don't even have a degree. But management like everything else requires certain intangible talents, these are leadership qualities like motivating people, organizational behaviours, and having good business judgement. There are, of course, tangible learned skills like business administration, presentation skills, and financial management which are also essential. Why do you even want to be in management?
  • e.shaabane.shaaban Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    PMP is a one mile width, one inch depth certificate, I highly recommend it as a good start.
  • ItsmHarunItsmHarun Member Posts: 178
    Best option for you PMP certification to good start your carrier.
  • Claire AgutterClaire Agutter Member Posts: 772 ■■■■■■■□□□
    The best advice I can give you is to find the sort of job you are aiming for on a jobs forum and see what type of certication they are asking for. ITIL, project management, business relationship management - there are lots of different 'management' approaches. What sort of management job do you want?
    Certification alone won't get you a job, but it can help you pass a minimum requirements tests and get to interview.
  • User2097User2097 Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I will be honest with you. Go for your MBA, while doing PMP and CISSP. They all tie into each other.
    Cert Goals: CISSP-ISSAP (May 2016) | CISM (2016) | GSEC (2016) | OSCP (2017)
    College: MBA Project Management (2012) | Bachelors IT Management (2010)
    Experience: Cyber Security, Information Assurance, and IT Management Officer