Time to dive into the CCNP, have a few questions on study material

quickman007quickman007 Member Posts: 195
I've made the decision to go for my CCNP R&S. Been looking around at study material but have a few questions before I make anymore purchases. As far as books go it seems it's either the FLG or OCG series. I purchases the FLG series as it seemed to be recommended over the other. As far as videos go CBT Nuggets, INE, and Chris Bryant keep popping up. I'm leaning more towards INE as I've heard they cover everything (or at least almost everything) you'll need to know for the exam

My question is which of the three would be better for video training, and are there any other books you'd recommend along side the FLG series? I've been drooling over Routing TCP/IP Volume 1, so I'll most likely pick that up at some point

Thanks!

Comments

• joetestjoetest Member Posts: 99 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I have access to all of the mentioned material.

I bought the INE course and it is by far the best imo. The new CBTnuggets are... lacking to say the least. Chris Bryants videos aren't updated yet. (Some SWITCH vids only last I checked.)

I bought the OCG package before release. Afterwards I bought ROUTE FLG and Routing TCP/IP to make sure I really know the ROUTE part.

I've only read a 3/4 of the OCG route so far and it's quite condensed with a bit of mistakes as well. I've read a few chapters on the Routing TCP/IP and now I get what all the fuss is about - it's actually really good.(Though topics are outdated(ipv6) or irrelevant for the exam(IS-IS)).

When I'm done with the OCG I'll read the Routing TCP/IP+FLG chapters on IPv6 stuff, CEF, DMVPN , BGP and Security part. Watching INE videos on the topics when I need a reading break. I'm gonna lab between the topics.
  • quickman007quickman007 Member Posts: 195
    joetest wrote: »
    I have access to all of the mentioned material.

I bought the INE course and it is by far the best imo. The new CBTnuggets are... lacking to say the least. Chris Bryants videos aren't updated yet. (Some SWITCH vids only last I checked.)

I bought the OCG package before release. Afterwards I bought ROUTE FLG and Routing TCP/IP to make sure I really know the ROUTE part.

I've only read a 3/4 of the OCG route so far and it's quite condensed with a bit of mistakes as well. I've read a few chapters on the Routing TCP/IP and now I get what all the fuss is about - it's actually really good.(Though topics are outdated(ipv6) or irrelevant for the exam(IS-IS)).

When I'm done with the OCG I'll read the Routing TCP/IP+FLG chapters on IPv6 stuff, CEF, DMVPN , BGP and Security part. Watching INE videos on the topics when I need a reading break. I'm gonna lab between the topics.

Great info, thanks! Looks like I'll be going with INE. I was told the CBT Nuggets were good for an overview but that's about it. As great as Jeremy is, I don't see that being worth the money. Hopefully the FLG series is as good as they say, but my biggest concern was the videos, pretty big purchase for a broke guy like me! :D
    So I guess my last question is do you all think the INE CCNP course, FLG series, Routing TCP/IP Vol. 1, Cisco docs, and labbing would be enough to pass? I'm shooting for 9-12 months. I want to really know the material and have some weight to my CCNP.
  • Legacy UserLegacy User Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 0 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'd say you are golden with that material. I can't make sense of the 9-2 month deadline though..
    dmarcisco wrote: »
    I'd say you are golden with that material. I can't make sense of the 9-2 month deadline though..
    Ha, I meant 9-12. My bad!
  • IsmaeljrpIsmaeljrp Member Posts: 480 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If you're in a networking role at work, 9-12 months is a very healthy amount of time.

Also you may want to check out IP Routing on IOS, IOS XE and IOS XR. I've read some reviews, and it's being marketed as the update to the TCP/IP Routing books.
  • OfWolfAndManOfWolfAndMan Member Posts: 923 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Ismaeljrp wrote: »
    If you're in a networking role at work, 9-12 months is a very healthy amount of time.

Also you may want to check out IP Routing on IOS, IOS XE and IOS XR. I've read some reviews, and it's being marketed as the update to the TCP/IP Routing books.

I would abide by this info. TCP/IP vol 1 hasn't been updated for almost 10 years. Much of it is still relevant, but IP routing on IOS, IOS XE and IOS XR is a much more up to date read, and it covers all routing protocols, not just the IGPs
    :study:Reading: Lab Books, Ansible Documentation, Python Cookbook 2018 Goals: More Ansible/Python work for Automation, IPSpace Automation Course [X], Build Jenkins Framework for Network Automation []
    I don't have a job in the networking field, however I'm getting my resume in order to start searching next week. Thanks so much for the book recommendation! That looks awesome, I was disappointed in TCP/IP Vol. 1 not having a BGP section.
  • IsmaeljrpIsmaeljrp Member Posts: 480 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I don't have a job in the networking field, however I'm getting my resume in order to start searching next week. Thanks so much for the book recommendation! That looks awesome, I was disappointed in TCP/IP Vol. 1 not having a BGP section.

I worded my reply a bit awkward.

9-12 months is comfortable if you are in the field, gives nice work/life balance.

9-12 months NOT in the field I think is minimum I'd recommend.

6 months is reasonable enough for someone in the field, yet it is still a tight shedule. (This is my position right now)
    Ismaeljrp wrote: »
    I worded my reply a bit awkward.

9-12 months is comfortable if you are in the field, gives nice work/life balance.

9-12 months NOT in the field I think is minimum I'd recommend.

6 months is reasonable enough for someone in the field, yet it is still a tight shedule. (This is my position right now)

I gotchya. I'm really not sure how long it will take me so that's just an estimate. From what I've seen 9-12 months is the norm, however that's with experience like you said.