EIGRP over SVI

webspongewebsponge Member Posts: 119
Hi All,
was wondering if anyone could offer some guidance,
I been working on a project, which was / is a mess! I have cleaned up 90% of it but am a little stick on something, that I really should know.

Network consists of 1 x 3750 switch that is using ip routing, and has 1 vlan 10 attached to switched network, the SVI vlan 10 is the gateway. this 3750 has its own route out to the internet through an ASA,

There is the old part of the network which also has its own L3 3750 with all the other vlans on it, and its own ASA out to the internet. both of these devices are linked via other switches, and all VLANs are allowed on the trunks, so we have a full ring network.

Now, I need vlan 10 to talk to some of the other vlans on the adjacent 3750, no problem! I added vlan 555 interfaces on both devices, and assigned ip address of 10.10.10.1 and 10.10.10.2 respectively, and used these interfaces for EIGRP,

i.e - on the switch with just vlan 10:
EIGRP 10
network 10.10.10.0 0.0.0.255 (int vlan 555 for EIGRP)
network 172.17.10.0 0.0.0.255 (vlan 10)
no auto

on the other switch I want to advertise vlan 20 and 30
EIGRP 10
network 10.10.10.0 0.0.0.255
network 172.17.20.0 0.0.0.255
network 172.17.30.0 0.0.0.255
no auto

adjacency comes up and they can see each other in "sh ip eigrp nei" but no routes are being advertised, and I can no longer see why?

all vlans exist on all switches and everything is allowed accross the trunks. been looking at it all day and am stumped, which is embaressing!!
thanks in advance
CCDP Next

Comments

• Debug allDebug all Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    websponge wrote: »
    Hi All,
    adjacency comes up and they can see each other in "sh ip eigrp nei" but no routes are being advertised, and I can no longer see why?

all vlans exist on all switches and everything is allowed accross the trunks. been looking at it all day and am stumped, which is embaressing!!
    thanks in advance
    Are SVIs for vlan20 and vlan30 UP/UP on the second switch?
    Check the output of "sh ip eigrp topology all-links", "sh ip eigrp events" and "sh ip eigrp traffic".
    Try to manually add "redistr conn" to the eigrp config section as well.
  • webspongewebsponge Member Posts: 119
    Hi there, thanks for the reply,

vlan interfaces are all up/up, sh ip eigrp topology interfaces shows the interfaces taking part and I can see in the traffic that notifications are being sent.

i can t see neighbours adjancies coming up either, if I do a shut no shut...
    CCDP Next
    EIGRP-IPv4 Traffic Statistics for AS(10)
    Hellos sent/received: 459905/244118
    Updates sent/received: 15/8
    Queries sent/received: 1/3
    Replies sent/received: 3/1
    Acks sent/received: 8/14
    SIA-Queries sent/received: 0/0
    SIA-Replies sent/received: 0/0
    Hello Process ID: 430
    PDM Process ID: 417
    Socket Queue: 0/10000/2/0 (current/max/highest/drops)
    Input Queue: 0/2000/2/0 (current/max/highest/drops)
    CCDP Next
    Mmm both my router IDs are 1.1.1.1
    CCDP Next
  • FitziFitzi Member Posts: 40 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I had similar issues with OSPF when I first set it up on my core switch, it was an MTU issue.

Has to do with the vlan inheriting the default system mtu which applys to the SVI also. I have my system mtu routing set to 1500, from memory this fixed the problem.

It took me a bit to work this one out, can't exactly remember if there were debug errors. Do you see any indication of the issue if you run a "debug ip eigrp packet" ?
  • HondabuffHondabuff Member Posts: 667 ■■■□□□□□□□
    What version IOS are the switches running? I ran into this with some 3560 switches before. I set ospf on both switches and the one with a 12.2 (22) code didn't have the option for "network" under ospf but had every other option. Had me stumped for a few hours till I figured that out.
    “The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you can’t always be sure of their authenticity.” ~Abraham Lincoln
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    websponge wrote: »
    Mmm both my router IDs are 1.1.1.1

Certainly not a good thing!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
    Certainly not a good thing!
    No it wasnt ;)
    Changed the loopback 0 to a different address, shut down EIGRP interface, re-enabled it and it now all works as expected.
    Thanks All
    CCDP Next
  • fredrikjjfredrikjj Member Posts: 879
    Textbooks don't talk about this, but in some IOS 15 release EIGRP started rejecting internal routes if the originator's router id matched the local router's. Previously this only applied to external routes.