Investing in certifications

Hello IT pros..

How much have you guys\girls on trying to achieve a certification? like the MCSA12 for example, from getting books to videos and practice exams

Comments

• pjd007pjd007 Member Posts: 277 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'd estimate I spent around £1k for the MCSE which covers CBT nuggets, books and exams.
  • Eston21Eston21 Member Posts: 76 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Me personally I use my kindle for studying, so no more then 10-15 a book. And I used youtube for videos.
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I try to keep it relatively low. My wife is going back to school to become a nurse PA and I have several goals I am trying to achieve, so in the event I do find a certification I want, it has to be under a certain price point and can't consume a bunch of my time. Think ITIL or Prince 2 Practitioner. Something not so involved but adding value.

TOGAF would be perfect if it didn't cost so damn much.
  • Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Well I only have CCNA from my current studies. I have the lifetime A+ for 13 years ago.

In total I am sure I'm over 2k in expenses. However this was not for a certification. This was to play around and learn and I also got my certification. I expect to spend a lot more in the coming years. The cost of learning is very small compared to the rewards as long as it's something you enjoy.

Full disclaimer I do not work in IT.

Good Luck!
  • wd40wd40 Member Posts: 1,017 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I have an excel sheet where I keep track of education expenses, for example I spent 398.59 US$ on Security+ and 1,375.95 US$ so far on CISA.

As for future plans I have a different sheet that lists anticipated cost, for example I know that I will need Book "x" that will cost 49.99 US$ and an exam voucher that will cost 150 US$. etc.

There is a small issue with common expenses, for example a CBTNuggets subscription, how should the cost be divided .. I Just keep it in it's own category as a common expense.