Options

Surge Protectors

summerangel227summerangel227 Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi,
I am very new to this site ~ this is my first post :P
Does anyone know how many devices should be plugged into a surge protector? {I know that this is a pretty vague question, but my co-worker asked me to please try to find an answer}.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    supertechCETmasupertechCETma Member Posts: 377
    Most surge protectors will have an integral circuit breaker incorporated into their design. This will determine the allowable load of the surge protection device. Look for the rated load of the device.

Be advised! A good surge protector should have these minimum specifications: The Undewriters Laboratories (UL) TVSS 1449 clearly noted on the package or device. Some outlet strips look like surge protectors, and the advertising on the box may show the strip connected to a computer. The strips may show a UL label but they are actually classified as an extension cord by UL. Use only UL TVSS 1449 listed devices as surge protectors. UL TVSS 1449 surge protectors provide protection on all three electrical wires: Hot, Neutral, and Ground.

A good quality surge protector will have two indicator lights on it. One shows whether the electrical circuit the protector is connected to is properly grounded and polarized; the second light shows whether the protection circuit is still functioning. Most surge protectors still deliver power after the protection citcuitry is destroyed. Surge protectors eventually fail, as a result of repeated "hits" by high-energy surges.

The main component in surge protectors is called a Metal Oxide Varistor (MOV). Unfortunately an MOV is a sacrificial component. The performance life of any surge protector using the MOV is finite. With every surge voltage the protector diverts, the MOV nears its inevitable end.

UL 1449 Standard for Safety for Transient Voltage Surge suppressors (TVSS)

http://www.leviton.com/sections/prodinfo/surge/ul1449.htm icon_cool.gif
    Electronic Technicians Association-International www.eta-i.org
    The Fiber Optic Association www.thefoa.org
    Home Acoustics Alliance® http://www.homeacoustics.net/
    Imaging Science Foundation http://www.imagingscience.com/
  • Options
    bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    It depends where the surge protector is plugged in to. If it's straight from the wall, you should be able to use all of the plugs on the surge protector. If the surge protector is plugged into something else, you dont want to drain the current off that outlet, otherwise you could blow a fuse.

It also depends on what you are plugging into that surge protector, most surge protector supports about 15-20A, so that's like one computer, one monitor, and a printer, plus a phone charger or something.
    Jack of all trades, master of none
  • Options
  • Options
    Danman32Danman32 Member Posts: 1,243
    Besides the UL TVSS 1449 rating, you also have to look at the clamping voltage. I believe the max clamp voltage at UL TVSS 1449 rating should be no more than 330V for electronics. Some suppressors have the UL TVSS 1449 rating but are at 600V or more.

Or maybe the TVSS is a subclass to the 1449 which makes it suitable for electronics. It's been a while since I learned about 1449.
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Hi,
    I am very new to this site ~ this is my first post :P
    Does anyone know how many devices should be plugged into a surge protector? {I know that this is a pretty vague question, but my co-worker asked me to please try to find an answer}.

Thanks

There is APC configuration tool on the www.apc.com

IT may help give you a quick feel for what can be plugged in. Though I think you have a much better answer above already.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    Thanks! This helps as well. icon_lol.gif