need some advice

aisbaeraisbaer Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello,

sooo i have been working for an ISP at the helpdesk for two years now configuring email progs, installing printers, repeaters, ip-cams basically whatever the customer calls with.

So in order to move up in the company i figrued ill get some certs.

Last week i scheduled the MTA exam 98-349 Windows Operating System Fundamentals took it yesterday and passed with an 83 i didnt even study i figured it cant be that hard and it wasnt.

so i dont know where to go next....
(the ultimate goal for me is CCNA but i will take my time with this one, also currently i got a pet project going AWS which is really fun :D)

so for my next cert iam thinking one of thoose:
network +, security +, MCSA Windows 8.1, MCSA Windows Server 2008 + 2012,

iam nut sure what do do with network+ should i take the N10-005 or do N10-006 ?
and for MCSA Windows 8.1 iam also not sure if i shouldnt just skip it and wait for Windows 10

and thoughts or advice you guys could give me would be awesome :)

THX

Comments

• nascar_paulnascar_paul Member Posts: 288 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm not very senior on the board, but I thought that some feed back may be helpful to you. Couple of thoughts:
    1. Great move! From what I've seen, things really take off for people that take their careers into their own hands with the assistance of the good folks here.
    2. Don't limit yourself to that company. Open your horizons.
    3. You've been in the game long enough to have some idea of where you want to go ultimately. Use that to determine your course. Start studying to qualify yourself for the job you WANT (not what your current employer has available).
    4. If you're going for a CCNA, you may want to do the N+ because you get: A. a more attractive resume B. good experience and direction on what will comprise a good percentage of your final goal (the CCNA)
    2017 Goals: 70-411 [X], 74-409 [X], 70-533 [X], VCP5-DCV [], LX0-103 [], LX0-104 []
    "I PLAN to fail!" - No One Ever
  • aisbaeraisbaer Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm not very senior on the board, but I thought that some feed back may be helpful to you. Couple of thoughts:
    1. Great move! From what I've seen, things really take off for people that take their careers into their own hands with the assistance of the good folks here.
    2. Don't limit yourself to that company. Open your horizons.
    3. You've been in the game long enough to have some idea of where you want to go ultimately. Use that to determine your course. Start studying to qualify yourself for the job you WANT (not what your current employer has available).
    4. If you're going for a CCNA, you may want to do the N+ because you get: A. a more attractive resume B. good experience and direction on what will comprise a good percentage of your final goal (the CCNA)

ya i was thinking of N+ for my next one aswell but dont know which one i should do the 10-005 which u can take til august 31 or the 10-006 . . .
  • soccarplayer29soccarplayer29 Member Posts: 230 ■■■□□□□□□□
    With your ultimate goal being CCNA my immediate thought was do go for CCENT. To build up to CCENT you could study the Network+ material (either 005 or 006) but i'd skip paying/sitting for the actual N+ exam.

Summary:
    1. Study Network+ materials (professor messor, etc.) and either take or skip exam depending on how much money you can spare
    2. Study & take CCENT exam right after Network+
    3. CCNA

I think the MCSA's get in the way/slow down your progress towards CCNA so that's why I left those out.
    Certs: CISSP, CISA, PMP