Failed CCNA:DC DCICN 640-911

ZomboidicusZomboidicus Member Posts: 105 ■■□□□□□□□□
I am not sure if I was just not in the right state of mind, didn't take the exam seriously because I have passed CCNA and work at a NOC, or if the OCG written for 640-911 falls short and I trusted it too much to do the job. I am usually a decent test taker, and I have not failed a single test (school or certs) in my entire life...at least as long as I can remember it.

I just left a review on Amazon, and the rest of this essentially is a copy-and-paste, but will hopefully provide a tip for those using Odom and Hintz's OCG for DCICN 640-911;

Avoid it.

The 640-911 exam included topics such as different features that Nexus 2K, 5~7K supports and licenses that each come with. I don't know if I am exaggerating, but I think I may have had dozen or two questions related to vPC, vDC, FCoE, VXLAN, N2K, N5~7K, MDS, and FEX. All of these, I was expecting to learn in 640-916.

I'm not sure why Cisco approved and decided that this book can serve as the Official Certification Guide for 640-911 exam. I would not recommend using this book even as a secondary material, let alone primary material. Just study for CCNA (100-101, 200-101), skip some topics that are not covered in CCNA:DC if you are comfortable with CCNA material, and read Nexus products data sheet, license types, or some other Cisco books that cover DC material. Know basic facts such as how each features such as routing protocol or SVI must be enabled first by "feature" command, different default user modes that Nexus supports, along with other few random facts and you have basically taken all that is offered from this book that ICDN1 does not offer. I assume that the lack of necessary contents comes from objective of the 640-911 exam resembles that of a ICDN1, and just added "Nexus" at the end of each sentences;

1.0 Describe How a Network Works - 15%
2.0 Configure, Verify and Troubleshoot a Switch with VLANs and Interswitch Communications Using Nexus - 21%
3.0 Implement an IP Addressing Scheme and IP Services to Meet Network Requirements in a Medium-Size Enterprise Branch Office Network Using Nexus - 12%
4.0 Configure, Verify, and Troubleshoot Basic Router Operation and Routing on Cisco Devices Using Nexus - 52%

I don't know, I'm pretty bummed out. Not sure if I should even bother with DC track at this point.
2016 Certification Goals: Who knows :D

Comments

• networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Sorry to hear it. Sometimes I think having the OCGs really limits people from branching out and learning and gives them a false sense of security. I learned a lot more on my CCIP where there weren't really any dedicated exam books by reading all sorts of material.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • ZomboidicusZomboidicus Member Posts: 105 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Sorry to hear it. Sometimes I think having the OCGs really limits people from branching out and learning and gives them a false sense of security. I learned a lot more on my CCIP where there weren't really any dedicated exam books by reading all sorts of material.

That is a really good point, and I think the use of words "false sense of security" is really right on the dot.

It was a good learning experience in a way, and I know now to change my approach and method studying when it comes to not only for passing a certification exam, but learning a subject in general.

I just wish that this lesson didn't cost me $250 :D
  • bharvey92bharvey92 Member Posts: 419
    Sat this exam today - and passed second time around. I feel your pain and you are spot on. This exam is not covered in the 640-911 guides and videos (as I found out 1st time around).

Go back to the drawing board, go through the CCNP:DC CBT nugget videos and DCICT CBT Nugget videos and the DCICT book and that will help you pass!

Good luck - you've got it next time.
    2018 Goal: CCIE Written [ ]
  • ZomboidicusZomboidicus Member Posts: 105 ■■□□□□□□□□
    bharvey92 wrote: »
    Sat this exam today - and passed second time around. I feel your pain and you are spot on. This exam is not covered in the 640-911 guides and videos (as I found out 1st time around).

Go back to the drawing board, go through the CCNP:DC CBT nugget videos and DCICT CBT Nugget videos and the DCICT book and that will help you pass!

Good luck - you've got it next time.

Comrade!

Yeah, I had to get rid of the feeling of defeat the next day. I need the cert to move on to better things :)

Thanks! and congrats on the pass :D
  • Darthn3ssDarthn3ss Member Posts: 1,096
    Another failure checking in. 738/818. I'm genuinely interested in the DC track, but I only took this because my R&S expires this month :/. I booked the exam Wednesday morning, read Lammle's book/did all the labs and practice questions from it, hoping that my admittedly weak R&S skills woudl be enough. Well, I was close, eh?

I think with adequate sleep (I haven't had proper nights sleep all week, gotten worse since I scheduled the exam and started cramming), some labbing and general refershery I could pass it with no problem....
    Fantastic. The project manager is inspired.

In Progress: 70-640, 70-685
  • Alex90Alex90 Member Posts: 289
    Sorry to hear you guys didn't make it first time round.

Are you guys doing any sort of labbing for the DC exams? The DC track is on my list of a million and one things to do but I'm interested in the best way to get hands on experience.

I guess unless you do it day to day for your job then VIRL or rack time is the best option. I have Nexus and UCS at work so I suppose that's a start. Any way I have to get the CCNP RS, CCNA Collab, CCNP Collab out of the way before I do any DC stuff so that gives me about 18 months to think of a solution icon_cool.gif

Regroup, focus on your weak points and you will get it second time round!
  • bharvey92bharvey92 Member Posts: 419
    Alex90 wrote: »

Are you guys doing any sort of labbing for the DC exams? The DC track is on my list of a million and one things to do but I'm interested in the best way to get hands on experience.

I guess unless you do it day to day for your job then VIRL or rack time is the best option. I have Nexus and UCS at work so I suppose that's a start. Any way I have to get the CCNP RS, CCNA Collab, CCNP Collab out of the way before I do any DC stuff so that gives me about 18 months to think of a solution icon_cool.gif

The DCICN you need to do use the Todd Lammle lab simulator to familiarise yourself with the NX-OS as there are some differences. I currently with Nexus 5K's and 2K's regular at work so it definitely helps with vPCs etc. I'm planning to spend some time on Cisco PEC labs to work with things such as OTV and FabricPath. Certainly something work persuing though.

Hear from alot of guys on the forums that it is an expensive path to persue due to Nexus kit being so expensive, the only way to learn is on the job experience or Cisco/INE rack rentals I suppose :)
    2018 Goal: CCIE Written [ ]
  • Darthn3ssDarthn3ss Member Posts: 1,096
    Alex90 wrote: »

I didn't do a single lab. And thats probably what bit me. Like I said, I took my CCNA 3 years ago and haven't touched that stuff since, for a variety of reasons. I decided to take the DC exam last minute, after contemplating between ccna:sec and just not renewing for the last month or two. Deciding to take DC was an impulse. I think i did really well all things considered.

c'est la vie

next time i'll do better :)
    Fantastic. The project manager is inspired.

In Progress: 70-640, 70-685
  • jack84iejack84ie Member Posts: 62 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hey Guys just reading the comments.

So is the CBT Nuggets 640-911 Videos Enough for the 640-911 Exam ? i would i need to cover the 640-916 Videos aswell ?
  • creamy_stewcreamy_stew Member Posts: 406 ■■■□□□□□□□
    jack84ie wrote: »
    Hey Guys just reading the comments.

So is the CBT Nuggets 640-911 Videos Enough for the 640-911 Exam ? i would i need to cover the 640-916 Videos aswell ?

Definately watch both 911 AND 916 several times. I was kicked in the balls by product specific knowledge that was covered much more in depth in the 916 nugget.

Also check out IP Expert's CCNA:DC content. It's pretty frecing awesome. Watch the nuggets first, though.
    Itchy... Tasty!
    [X] DCICN
    [X] IINS

[ ] CCDA
    [ ] DCICT
  • jack84iejack84ie Member Posts: 62 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Why is the CCNA DC so hard ?

is IPExpert worth the price tag ?

do you get asked questions on the Nexus 7000 which is not cover by either CBT and INE
  • e.malle.mall Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    See Website for UPDATED INFORMATION
    cisco-datacenter.blog s p o t . c o m
    CCNP DATA CENTER MATERIAL ALSO AVAILABLE. PLEASE CONTACT US THROUGH ABOVE WEBSITE LINK.

GUARANTEED PASSING MATERIAL. We will keep you updated with latest exam questions till your exam.
    Its in both VCE and PDF Formats with working VCE Player.

We also have all valid latest exam preparation material for any exams Juniper, Microsoft, CompTIA, CISCO, Network+, Oracle and Huawei etc.
    FEEL FREE TO CONTACT ME REGARDING LATEST **** FOR YOUR FUTURE CERTIFICATIONS.
  • bettsy584bettsy584 Member Posts: 69 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Sorry to hear mate, I did CCNA DC a couple of years back and like you thought there was loads of overlap with ICND1.

Seconded - on the crap press books.

I recently did my CCNP DC as I was using Nexus/UCS more in my job. I used INE for that, and I happened to backtrack into some of the CCNA DC topics that I had forgotten. I would buy the CCNA DC course if you decide to have another shot at this exam.
  • lonewolf889lonewolf889 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Could you please contact me
  • lonewolf889lonewolf889 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□

e.mall wrote: »
    See Website for UPDATED INFORMATION
    cisco-datacenter.blog s p o t . c o m
    CCNP DATA CENTER MATERIAL ALSO AVAILABLE. PLEASE CONTACT US THROUGH ABOVE WEBSITE LINK.

GUARANTEED PASSING MATERIAL. We will keep you updated with latest exam questions till your exam.
    Its in both VCE and PDF Formats with working VCE Player.

We also have all valid latest exam preparation material for any exams Juniper, Microsoft, CompTIA, CISCO, Network+, Oracle and Huawei etc.
    FEEL FREE TO CONTACT ME REGARDING LATEST **** FOR YOUR FUTURE CERTIFICATIONS.
  • koz24koz24 Member Posts: 766 ■■■■□□□□□□
    He is spamming for a **** site. Do not use.