Networking at Events/Group Meetings

NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
So I found a couple groups near me that I would like to join, attend meetings, and network with others. My concern is I've always been more of a quiet person and have an introvert type of personality.

My question is, what do you usually talk to people about when first meeting them at these types of gatherings? I've never been big on small talk but I definitely want to do this. I feel it is a weakness area of mine and definitely something I want to get better at.

Comments

• TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I am exactly the same in a way. I have a very direct approach to things in life and especially at work to the point were I intimidate people lol, Ive been told that too.
    what I've learned though is that people's body language is key. I would observe first and listen and then use that information to start a conversation or join a conversation. Always introduce yourself though first and join conversations that you think are interesting or have something to contribute also.
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I'm not big on small talk either, but it's easier at these type of things because there is a common interest already known to easily break the ice. Jump into some technical chat, introduce yourself, join the conversation which inevitably steers from technical once everyone is comfortable.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • ShdwmageShdwmage Member Posts: 374
    I am an extremely shy person so meeting new people is often difficult to me. So I just smash my way in with a hammer and move forward. This approach doesn't always work well, but I at least get to move forward beyond the awkward introduction stage.
    --
    “Hey! Listen!” ~ Navi
    2013: [x] MCTS 70-680
    2014: [x] 22-801 [x] 22-802 [x] CIW Web Foundation Associate
    2015 Goals: [] 70-410
  • NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I have done a few of these netwokr events.

I'm an introvent/exterovert.

The good events have name tages or a good meeting lcoaiton, or both.

You need to come out of your shell and talk to some people.

I go right up to the person and introduce myself.

I start with questions:

What brought you here tonight?

What do you do?

This can kick start the converstations.

You can follow with these same questions as well.

As you start talking listen to the person's story.

My big tip:
    Get to really know the person and see if they're any common interests.
    Focus less or getting a reffaral and more on the person.
    In the end you want to see if you can help that person or if they can help you.

Also, it helps to go to network events with someone else.
    I haven't done this personally, but I have seen others do it an they;re always talking to someone.
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I've attended a few meetups in the twin cities. At each one there were many more introverts then extroverts but when the discussions became very technical a lot of the introverts jumped in. Some barely talked but they weren;t treated any differently and I think they felt comfortable. I think you'd be among similar company no matter your personality. If you need some support I'm willing to help, I'm kind of an extrovert but have dealt with many introverts in a leadership capacity. I even thought of creating a meetup because they've mostly dried up around here, but no place to host. If anyone knows of any active ones in the twin cities I'd really appreciate it.
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)