Handed and Android tablet and told to become a SME

JubeiYagaruJubeiYagaru Member Posts: 47 ■■□□□□□□□□
Started a new job yesterday, and this is the situation. A part of my job will require me to do mobile support. Mostly Citrix XenMobile, however my boss wants me to understand how to support android devices. I'm looking at this from like an IT Professional perspective, as I'm NOT being expected to understand anything about the development side of the device.

Anyone have any book or site recommendations that covers the general features and setup processes across the more common versions of Android ? Looking mostly for 4.0+ ? Anything would be helpful at this point. Not sure where to start.

Comments

• colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I would suggest that if you have a company-issued iPhone, make them give you (or get you) an android phone. Daily use and exploration is how I become proficient at something.
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    My thoughts as well colemic. Start using it like a user would. You'll likely hit most of the common issues while setting it up and using.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • methicalmethical Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Books
    Android Phones for Dummies
    Android Tablets for Dummies

Download AMIDuOS (Run Android on Windows - Fastest Android Emulator) and use it as a sandbox (runs android 4.2.2). If your company is installing apps on devices that aren't from the playstore, make sure you find out where to enable "allow installation of apps from unknown sources".

Android device setting locations vary from different releases, different brands, and even between tablets/phones.
  • soccarplayer29soccarplayer29 Member Posts: 230 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I echo what others said, but also when you're going through setup and come across weird, unintuitive, etc. make sure to document the problem and resolution or try to create/tap into an existing knowledge management tool for future troubleshooting, etc.

I'm verizon or something has posted troubleshooting guides/forums for their android devices that could be a good resource also
    Certs: CISSP, CISA, PMP
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Sounds like an opportunity to show value. I think tablets will gain more traction in the up in coming years. Not a bad skill to possess.
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I hated being the "mobile device support guy" when I did it at previous company. =P