Options

CBT Nuggets vs. Cybrary

markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
Anyone have experience with both of these videos for the MCSA (or just the 70-410)? I've got the Sybex book, saw the sticky for the technet articles, and have a copy of 2012 R2 from WGU that I'm running on Virtualbox. I think I've got some good material but just debating on which videos to go with.

Comments

• Options
    srabieesrabiee Member Posts: 1,231 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I have used CBT Nuggets in the past and found them to be excellent. They do put quite a hurting on the wallet, however. Sorry, I've never heard of Cybrary. I now use Pluralsite (Trainsignal) almost exclusively, due to the quality vs cost factor. I find them almost as good or equal to CBT Nuggets for a fraction of the price.
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)
    Completed: LYT2, TFT2, JIT2, MCT2, LZT2, SJT2 (17 CU's)
    Required: FXT2, MAT2, MBT2, C391, C392 (13 CU's)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    I'd say that CBT Nuggets has the proven track record, they usually have subject matter experts that have worked for Microsoft to teach their MCSA classes. However, since Cybrary is free, there's nothing that says you can't try them out and see how they are, then go do a free one-week trial of CBT Nuggets, and then decide if it's worth spending money.

* EDIT *
    I'm seeing older material on the Cybrary site, they don't seem to have updated their courses to reflect the changes in Windows Server 2012 R2, and have topics that only cover Windows Server 2012. You'll need to be up to date on the R2 material for the tests. And, as srabiee mentioned, there's also Pluralsight, another highly respected training vendor.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    Okay thanks maybe I'll do that. Although I don't mind dropping a couple bucks if it means I'll learn more.
  • Options
    Do they each offer free trials, by any chance? If so, you could try em out and see which you like better.
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)
  • Options
    True. Not sure if they do or not. Only time I've been to their site is from the cbt nuggets videos that wgu provided and I've never been to plural sight.
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Here are the links to free trials from both vendors:

CBT Nuggets Free Trial Signup

Pluralsight Free Trial Signup (User the "Try it Free" button on whichever plan you want.)

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    Just remembered something. As a WGU student you are eligible for 3 free months of Pluralsite. The voucher can be obtained from Dreamspark.

• Options
    cruwlcruwl Member Posts: 341 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I've been using the Cybrary and CBTnuggets together. They both are decent in my opinion. The Cybrary videos covers R2 content for MCSA 2012.

I suggest using both videos if you can. The Cybrary are short and to the point, CBTnuggets you have to sit through all of james conrads lame jokes and boring stories. I usually watch 1 video source, read the chapter, then watch the videos from the 2nd source.

I also have Trainsignal videos for non R2 content and i watch those as well. You can watch the exact same topic and pic up small items that are not covered by the others.
  • Options
    Slowhand wrote: »
    Here are the links to free trials from both vendors:

CBT Nuggets Free Trial Signup

Pluralsight Free Trial Signup (User the "Try it Free" button on whichever plan you want.)

Thanks! Should give me a good idea.
  • Options
    srabiee wrote: »
    Just remembered something. As a WGU student you are eligible for 3 free months of Pluralsite. The voucher can be obtained from Dreamspark.

Oh wow I'm definitely checking that out tomorrow. That's great!
  • Options
    cruwl wrote: »
    I've been using the Cybrary and CBTnuggets together. They both are decent in my opinion. The Cybrary videos covers R2 content for MCSA 2012.

I suggest using both videos if you can. The Cybrary are short and to the point, CBTnuggets you have to sit through all of james conrads lame jokes and boring stories. I usually watch 1 video source, read the chapter, then watch the videos from the 2nd source.

I also have Trainsignal videos for non R2 content and i watch those as well. You can watch the exact same topic and pic up small items that are not covered by the others.

That's exactly what I wanted to know. Whichever one I pick out of cbt and plural I'll consider adding cybrary to it also.