Brocade switch issue

mrhaun03mrhaun03 Member Posts: 359
I'm pretty new to Brocade switches. I recently had issues with my access points at work. I discovered that the ports they were connected to needed to be reconfigured to work properly. After I configure one of the ports to work on both VLAN's (one guest, one internal), my switches basically shut off. They still physically have power, but anything connect to that switch loses connectivity until I reboot the switch.

There are 6 switches in a stack. It doesn't happen with one particular switch. Sometimes it will only affect one switch, other times all of them are affected.

Any one with some Brocade experience have any ideas? Also, I'm using the web interface to configure the switch ports.
Working on Linux+

Comments

• networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Outside of some software bug, sounds like you might be creating some type of loop that's locking things up.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
    sounds like you might be creating some type of loop that's locking things up.

I think that too...
    Try disabling the stacking on some switch and configuring it isolated and see what happens.
    meh
  • mrhaun03mrhaun03 Member Posts: 359
    kurosaki00 wrote: »
    I think that too...
    Try disabling the stacking on some switch and configuring it isolated and see what happens.

Don't think I'll be able to do that since these are in production. I doubt my boss would allow it anyway. They were configured by an MSP way before I started here. Unfortunately, there's no one here that knows anything about them and the MSP charges a nice hourly rate to do any work on them.

We do have another 2 switch stack in the rear of our building that I can if the same thing happens.
    Working on Linux+
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Nothing in the logs?
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
    Nothing in the logs?

Nothing helpful. I can pretty much just see the ports going down right when the issue begins. That's another thing, the switch only has a small buffer so doesn't keep a large log. There is a way to set it so that the log can be moved to a server so it saves more information. Just not sure how to do that.
    Working on Linux+
  • kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
    You could try running syslog from computer and do a syslogdIpAdd "IP" on the brocade.
    Linux is somewhat easy to set up syslog, no idea on windows or others.

Have you tried doing a show tech after the lock/shut ?
    meh
    Sorry it took so long to reply. I came in early today to work on the switches. I was able to make the changes I needed and the save the configuration. I reloaded the switches afterwards and confirmed the changes stuck. Everything is working normally now but I'm still not sure what was going on.

Appreciate the replies!
    Working on Linux+