Options

Value of Security+

billgbillg Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
I will be taking my A+ Core exam in a few weeks and then have both my Network+ and A+. I am looking for the next cert to take. What is the industry's view on the Security+ cert? Is it seen as having value by those who have it? If I say on my resume that I have the Security+ cert am I going to get just "Big Deal" or will an employer look favorably on it?

Comments

• Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    On it's own, the Security+ isn't a big deal. In addition to other certs, depending on what level of IT you work at, it can be a very big deal. For example, you said you'll have A+ and Net+ by the time you'd be studying for Security+. This combination is definately a step in the right direction, and will look very good to a prospective employer. On the MCSA/MCSE and CCNA levels, Security+ can compliment the baseline knowledge that those certs entail, giving a "security edge" to your knowledge. Basically, you can tell employers "I am A+/Net+/MCSE/CCNA certified, with a focus on security, because I'm Security+ certified on top of that."

Security+ can also be a stepping-stone to "bigger" security certs, such as C|EH, CISSP, MCSE: Security and/or CCSP, (among others.) It gives you the foundation knowledge of security, just like Net+, for example, gives foundations of networking. A lot of employers I've talked to have this attitude towards Security+, that it shows that you're on your way to a security-focused IT career. Some have said to me, flat-out, "I'd imagine you're gearing up for something like CISSP, down the road?".

Either way you look at it, I feel that Security+ has some worth. Even if that worth is simply getting your hands dirty with security concepts and technologies, it's still a great cert to have, and one that I'm very proud to place on my resume.

(P.S. Don't forget, Security+ is the only CompTIA cert still valid as an elective for both MCSA and MCSE, whereas A+/Net+ and A+/Server+ are only valid for MCSA. Not to mention that it also can be used as an elective for MCSA/MCSE: Security. Might not sound like much, but it feels pretty good to not only have used Security+ for my MCSA elective, but to have a second cert, on top of MCSA.)

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    Danman32Danman32 Member Posts: 1,243
    As stated, it can be used as an elective for MCSA/MCSE and can also be used as one of the 2 security focused electives for MCSx Security specialization.

At the very least, it shows you have a foundation on the basics of security, including low tech means of security (like keeping doors locked), and how to properly handle violations. And considering that the test has a high pass score cutoff, the equivalent of an 83% score, passing it has more merit than some of the other Comptia tests.