Official offer received - Information Security Analyst

Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
Well, I have all the paperwork in my inbox, my first for reals job in Information Security. It will be for a healthcare company, my official title is "Information Security Analyst"

I still have to piss in a cup and get a background check, but all that should be fine.

Start date will be mid-July, a little nervous about leaving a job I love, but I'm pretty excited about finally stepping into an Information Security role.
Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark

Comments

• cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
  • greg9891greg9891 Member Posts: 1,189 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Congrats gatta push forward
    :
    Upcoming Certs: VCA-DCV 7.0, VCP-DCV 7.0, Oracle Database 1Z0-071, PMP, Server +, CCNP

Proverbs 6:6-11Go to the ant, you sluggard! Consider her ways and be wise, Which, having no captain, Overseer or ruler, Provides her supplies in the summer, And gathers her food in the harvest. How long will you slumber, O sluggard?
    When will you rise from your sleep? A little sleep, a little slumber, A little folding of the hands to sleep, So shall your poverty come on you like a prowler And your need like an armed man.
  • Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    Congrats!

how would you pronounce your username phonetically? cy-ber guy-per?
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • 10Linefigure10Linefigure Member Posts: 368 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats! Well done man!
    CCNP R&S, Security+
    B.S. Geography - Business Minor
    MicroMasters - CyberSecurity
    Professional Certificate - IT Project Management
    I hate to copy and paste my posts, but my post in another thread seems relevant here:

My base pay from my current job to my new job is a 17k bump. However my current job also has a bonus, overtime, on call pay, shift differential, etc, whereas the new job will be salary.

Also I have about zero actually security experience, so I took what I could get in this role just to get some experience

So my current pay structure is kind of weird. Ultimately my new job will be slightly lower pay, but also just a 40 hour a week salary job, vs 3rd shift and on call and OT.
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • goatamagoatama Member Posts: 181
    Congrats! That's awesome! I just started my first fully full-on InfoSec job, as well. Official title is "Senior Information Security Engineer". I have/had that same trepidation leaving a job I loved. It's rough transitioning into a new environment, for sure.

Best of luck!
    WGU - MSISA - Done!!
    Next up: eCPPT, eWDP, eWPT, eMAPT
  • GreaterNinjaGreaterNinja Member Posts: 271
    Congrats Mike! Please keep doing what it do.

:)
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    @Mike-Mike. "Cyberguy pee ahr", if that makes any sense. I normally do it as CyberGuyPR, not sure what happened the day I signed up here.
  • Khaos1911Khaos1911 Member Posts: 366
    Congrats!

I just landed my first senior level infosec position, title is "Senior Information Security Analyst" for a big gov't contractor. I start in July. Really gonna miss my current team/employer.
  • aspiringsoulaspiringsoul Member Posts: 314
    Mike-Mike wrote: »
    Well, I have all the paperwork in my inbox, my first for reals job in Information Security. It will be for a healthcare company, my official title is "Information Security Analyst"

I still have to piss in a cup and get a background check, but all that should be fine.

Start date will be mid-July, a little nervous about leaving a job I love, but I'm pretty excited about finally stepping into an Information Security role.

Congrats Mike!!!
    Education: MS-Information Security and Assurance from Western Governors University, BS-Business Information Systems from Indiana Wesleyan University, AAS-Computer Network Systems - ITT Tech,
  • dustervoicedustervoice Member Posts: 877 ■■■■□□□□□□
    congratulations .... well done!
  • praminpramin Member Posts: 138 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Mike-Mike wrote: »
    I hate to copy and paste my posts, but my post in another thread seems relevant here:
    My base pay from my current job to my new job is a 17k bump. However my current job also has a bonus, overtime, on call pay, shift differential, etc, whereas the new job will be salary.

Also I have about zero actually security experience, so I took what I could get in this role just to get some experience

So my current pay structure is kind of weird. Ultimately my new job will be slightly lower pay, but also just a 40 hour a week salary job, vs 3rd shift and on call and OT.

Congrats on your new job. Where there anything in your current position that helped get you the interview/job?
  • LevithanLevithan Member Posts: 72 ■■□□□□□□□□
    It appears I'm doing something wrong.... ;) Congrats to you! icon_cheers.gif
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congratulations!
  • TheEmperorTheEmperor Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
  • yellowpadyellowpad Member Posts: 192 ■■■□□□□□□□
    +1 congratulation!!!
    Completed MSCIA f/ WGU~ CISSP 5-days boot camp scheduled :)
  • ChitownjediChitownjedi Member Posts: 578 ■■■■■□□□□□
    congrats on the new role and getting in the Security field
  • SoCalGuy858SoCalGuy858 Member Posts: 150 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats! I just got my first InfoSec role 6 months ago (same title) and love it!
    LinkedIn - Just mention you're from TE!
  • coffeeluvrcoffeeluvr Member Posts: 734 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Congratulations!!
    "Something feels funny, I must be thinking too hard. - Pooh"
  • kendr1ckkendr1ck Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations! What made you want to get out of what you're currently doing and get into InfoSec?
  • NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congratulations!
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
  • BigToneBigTone Member Posts: 283
    Just curious, did it appear that either of your security certs help you either get in the door or push ahead of other candidates?
    Khaos1911 wrote: »
    I start in July. Really gonna miss my current team/employer.

same for me, starting in July. Love my current role/company. I work for a very large company, and I do get a sense of pride when someone asks me where I work and I tell them. I'm going to a much smaller company, but I got a great feeling about the new group of guys I'll be working with
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
    pramin wrote: »
    Congrats on your new job. Where there anything in your current position that helped get you the interview/job?

Thanks. My old role does not relate to my new role at all. However, in my current role, I have a very diverse amount of responsibilities. I also have to be able to multitask on a very high level. I currently work in the Telecommunications industry for a major carrier, so technology is constantly changing. I felt I successfully conveyed that being able to multitask and adapt to changing technologies and work conditions was more important to success than direct experience.
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
    Levithan wrote: »
    It appears I'm doing something wrong.... ;) Congrats to you! icon_cheers.gif

just keep at it. Took me a long time to get the right role for the right money everyone is different of course, but I have 15 years experience in Technology roles, with a very diverse background, working for some very large companies in significant roles.
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
    kendr1ck wrote: »
    Congratulations! What made you want to get out of what you're currently doing and get into InfoSec?

Well I definitely think there is a higher financial ceiling for info sec jobs. however in all my certs and studying, I just generally find InfoSec items more interesting. However I know that books and real world are quite different. So there is a chance I could hate it, hopefully tha'ts not the case since I'm leaving such a great position.
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
    BigTone wrote: »
    Just curious, did it appear that either of your security certs help you either get in the door or push ahead of other candidates?

yes, I find my certs always get noticed. Specifically the C|EH gets brought up, this one they actually specifically commented on the CCNA Security as well, which most people glance over for the regular CCNA. However i think that the Master's degree really put it over the top
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark