CCNP: Wireless, let's finally get this one done.

SteveO86SteveO86 Member Posts: 1,423
So, after recently knocking out the Wireshark WCNA I figure it's time to come back to the dark side of Cisco.

Thought it was time to finally tackle the CCNP: Wireless, been working with WLC's since the 4.x code and the WCS days so why not. Although I must admit I am not crazy about the age of the current version of the CCNP: Wireless. Many of the exam objectives still reference many outdated technologies (WCS, Cisco Spectrum Agent, etc) but I do suppose the core technology is the same.

Going to be starting with the IUWVN, involving VoIP over VLAN (VoWLAN)

Will be following the CLN's guide for some of this:

https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/community/certifications/ccnp_wireless/iuwvn/study-material

Material:

The Guide Reference Guide from Cisco Press
CCNP Wireless (642-742 IUWVN) Quick Reference

VoWLAN Design Guide v4.1 - Curious to see how this differs from Cisco's current mobility design guide
Voice over Wireless LAN 4.1 Design Guide - Cisco

AVVID Multicast Design Guide - (Might just review Deploying Mulitcast networks, but I'll see what this is about)
https://www.cisco.com/application/pdf/en/us/guest/tech/tk363/c1501/ccmigration_09186a008015e7cc.pdf

7921G Deployment Guide
http://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cuipph/7921g/6_0/english/deployment/guide/7921dply.pdf

Probably also going to look into IPExperts Videos, since INE does have anything for CCNP: Wireless.

Going to be starting with the quick guide reference guide. Going to shoot for an exam date during Cisco Live since the exam will be half-price, but we will see how I feel about the material by then and if I can even fit the time in during the conference.
My Networking blog
Latest blog post: Let's review EIGRP Named Mode
Currently Studying: CCNP: Wireless - IUWMS

Comments

• NOC-NinjaNOC-Ninja Member Posts: 1,403
    Goodluck!

What happened to CCIE studying?
  • SteveO86SteveO86 Member Posts: 1,423
    Thanks NOC-Ninja!

The CCIE Studies are still a dream of mine slowly continuing.. I'm honestly still reading R/S material on the side and my next few blog posts will be R/S focused.

I'll be taking the R/S Written at Live this year on that first Monday of the conference, since I used that for my free exam I want to use that to gauge the v5 material (Once I get VIRL updated in the lab). Since the exam was free if I fail, it won't hurt that much.

So I might be biting off more than I can chew, or I could be seriously under-estimating the CCNP: Wireless track. With my current experience with Wireless, I'm thinking I can have the CCNP: Wireless knocked out in the next 5 months or so.
    My Networking blog
  • NOC-NinjaNOC-Ninja Member Posts: 1,403
    very nice. what are you currently doing in wireless? PM me if you dont want to post it. Im curious since i like wireless. :)
    I definitely got a few things going on, on the WLAN side of house. I'll shoot you something over something soon.

Well, as fate would have it when I decide to start buckling down again and studying I end working some crazy hours, so I'm going crash a bit early tonight.

I'm working my way through the Chapter of IUVNM quick reference quick. So far it's QoS on the Wireless and on wire. Found myself digging up and reviewing some older notes I had from when I did my first Wireless phone deployment brings back some memories.

Definitely a good refresher on SIFS/DIFS, EDCA, and the lovely differences between QoS markings (WMM, CoS, 802.11e)

If there is one thing I like about this quick reference guide so far, it's the diagrams.
    My Networking blog
    Made my way through the Reference Guide over the weekend.

Started reading through the 7921G deployment guide. Taking briefs notes in Evernote as I go along.
    My Networking blog
    Made my way through the Config while enjoying some fun down time with family and pets over memorial day weekend.

Got a few additional links to post. The few VoWLAN CiscoLive sessions and some additional QoS and roaming articles from Cisco.com

QoS on WLC and LWAPP's
    QoS on Wireless LAN Controllers and Lightweight APs Configuration Example - Cisco

Cisco QoS Technote
    Cisco Unified Wireless QoS Tech Note - Cisco

802.11 and Roaming
    802.11 WLAN Roaming and Fast-Secure Roaming on CUWN - Cisco

Cisco Live 365 Videos
    Troubleshooting Voice over WLANs
    https://www.ciscolive.com/online/connect/sessionDetail.ww?SESSION_ID=5970&backBtn=true

Design and Deploy WLANs for Voice and Video
    https://www.ciscolive.com/online/connect/sessionDetail.ww?SESSION_ID=82724&backBtn=true
    My Networking blog
    My Networking blog
    Made my way through the enterprise mobility guide and I am going to be trying to fit this exam in while I am at CLUS. If not then I am going to be holding off on the voice exam for a bit. The week I get back from CLUS I am attending a mobility class for the CCNP: Wireless.

I may not have planned out my study schedule too well this time around.
    My Networking blog
    Well, didn't fit in my exam during Cisco Live. Looks like I will need to side-bar by VoWLAN studies for now, and my mobility class started today. Kind of screwed up my study schedule this time.
    My Networking blog
    Finished up with the IUWMS class on Friday, I took ample notes during the class so I am reviewing those notes. Also going to run through the Quick Reference guide from Cisco Press.
    My Networking blog
  • HawaiiwaterboyHawaiiwaterboy Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I just finished CCNA Wireless in November so I'm moving on to CCNP wireless

I bought study materials and hardware
    4402 WLC with 7.0 software
    Two different APs
    POE boxes for APs

Mind if I jump in this thread and stay up to date with everyone ?
    icon_smile.gif

I'm prepping to study through 2016
    Let's do this!