2015 shoe thread

Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
I know this has been covered before, but it's been awhile, and members change, etc.

I've had the luxury of jeans and sneakers for a year and a half, but my new role will require business attire. So I'm looking for fancy stuff that is still comfortable. If this was Reddit, I'd put a "Serious" tag on it... but my point is, I'm not asking if you get to wear sandals or those dumb shoes with the toes.. icon_twisted.gif

I need a nice shoe, that goes with dress slacks, and won't make my feet cry icon_thumright.gif
Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark

Comments

• alias454alias454 Member Posts: 648 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Sketchers have been about the most comfortable pair of shoes I have ever worn. Even the dress shoes seem like sneakers
    http://www.skechers.com/men/styles/dress-shoes

I also have a pair of doc martens, which are pretty comfortable Men's Shoes | Official Dr Martens Store - US
    “I do not seek answers, but rather to understand the question.”
  • srabieesrabiee Member Posts: 1,231 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I have a couple pair of Dr. Scholl's dress shoes that I wear when I work on equipment or are worried that I'm going to scuff them, because they are fairly inexpensive and I don't mind having to replace them. They are pretty comfortable and not bad looking. Got them at Wal-Mart.

For dressier days, I usually wear Dockers or Skechers.
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)
    Completed: LYT2, TFT2, JIT2, MCT2, LZT2, SJT2 (17 CU's)
    Required: FXT2, MAT2, MBT2, C391, C392 (13 CU's)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)
  • Mr. MeeseeksMr. Meeseeks Member Posts: 98 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Clarks. They make so good, comfortable shoes that last.
  • Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    alias454 wrote: »
    Sketchers have been about the most comfortable pair of shoes I have ever worn. Even the dress shoes seem like sneakers
    http://www.skechers.com/men/styles/dress-shoes

I also have a pair of doc martens, which are pretty comfortable Men's Shoes | Official Dr Martens Store - US

I didn't realize Sketchers even made dress shoes, thanks
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
    Clarks. They make so good, comfortable shoes that last.

I think I just found a pair I'm going to order:

Glenrise Step Black Leather - Mens Loafers and Slip On Shoes - Clarks

never had a slip on dress shoe, but I like the looks of that one

Well, they ended up having a 2 for $99 sale, so I got those in Walnut Leather instead of black, and then got these in Black:

https://www.clarksusa.com/us/mens/mens-oxfords-lace-ups/Beeston-Stride-Black-Leather/p/26102873
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Mr. MeeseeksMr. Meeseeks Member Posts: 98 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Mike-Mike wrote: »
    I think I just found a pair I'm going to order:

Glenrise Step Black Leather - Mens Loafers and Slip On Shoes - Clarks

never had a slip on dress shoe, but I like the looks of that one

Well, they ended up having a 2 for $99 sale, so I got those in Walnut Leather instead of black, and then got these in Black:

https://www.clarksusa.com/us/mens/mens-oxfords-lace-ups/Beeston-Stride-Black-Leather/p/26102873

Nice! Definitely going to have to grab me a couple.
  • stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If you want all day comfort, similar to the feel of a sneaker but will last for many, many years: Bates Leather Durashocks Oxford. Only two downsides: price and they only come in black.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    I don't have a particular brand, I have to look at the material and judge. I usually go Italian..
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• aftereffectoraftereffector Member Posts: 525 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Allen Edmonds. Get the Park Avenue and then get something else later on.
    CCIE Security - this one might take a while...
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Are you anticipating walking a lot? i am curious as to what exactly you find uncomfortable.
    Are we talking the inner soles, the vamp, the toe box? For me the main issue is the vamp. I have a variety of Cole Haan, Kenneth Cole, Steve Madden, Joseph & Murphy, and a few Dockers that I could use all day long with no issue. If the problem is cushion you can try Nunn Bush with comfort gel.
  • FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Slip ons are my favorite! I have a pair of both tan and black, its hard to go back to shoelaces after wearing them for such a long time :)
  • kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
    Nice thread!
    I agree with Clarks being pretty darn good.

I recently got some timberland oxford that are really sweet (brown) but I'm in need for some black oxford, so nice thread! ty
    meh
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Which ever brand you choose, one rule I stick by is not to go cheap on shoes. It's something you use everyday and definitely want them to be nice, comfy, and to last awhile.
  • BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    my first question is how much do you want to spend on them? For shoes, i don't hold back on price.

Cole Haan has a lot of nice shoes. The hard bottom oxfords are classic & a great choice, but also the Lunargrands are comfy as hell too...

Kenneth Cole has some nice shoes as well.
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
  • srabieesrabiee Member Posts: 1,231 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Some of you guys have very expensive tastes. icon_lol.gif
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)
    Completed: LYT2, TFT2, JIT2, MCT2, LZT2, SJT2 (17 CU's)
    Required: FXT2, MAT2, MBT2, C391, C392 (13 CU's)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)
  • bgold87bgold87 Member Posts: 112
  • anoeljranoeljr Member Posts: 278 ■■■□□□□□□□
    +1 for Cole Haan. They're a little more expensive, but will last you much longer and are very comfortable. I've worn them every day for about 4 years and they're still going strong.
  • JasionoJasiono Member Posts: 896 ■■■■□□□□□□
    We are business attire, business casual that is, and one day I forgot my shoes (don't ask how) and slipped into my new balance all terrain shoes instead. They are black.

Nobody said anything to me the entire day, and guess what, I wear them into the office every day I am here :)

One guy here wears blue colored lacoste shoes.

I love sperries

We can also wear uggs (like the mens slip on ones) if we wanted to.
  • adam220891adam220891 Member Posts: 164 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I see guys mention wearing shoes for a year. I always find mine to look pretty scuffed and rough after a year, and I've done the polish thing.

I have like ~$60 dockers though. Could be the issue.
  • Fulcrum45Fulcrum45 Member Posts: 621 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Merrell makes a fine shoe and in several cross-over styles.
    stryder144 wrote: »
    If you want all day comfort, similar to the feel of a sneaker but will last for many, many years: Bates Leather Durashocks Oxford. Only two downsides: price and they only come in black.

these look pretty good, I'll keep them in mind after I try out these Clarks I ordered.
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    Are you anticipating walking a lot? i am curious as to what exactly you find uncomfortable.
    Are we talking the inner soles, the vamp, the toe box? For me the main issue is the vamp. I have a variety of Cole Haan, Kenneth Cole, Steve Madden, Joseph & Murphy, and a few Dockers that I could use all day long with no issue. If the problem is cushion you can try Nunn Bush with comfort gel.

I dont even know what the vamp is?

It's a new job with a new company, so I dont know how much I'll be walking. The last time I had to wear business attire, I worked downtown in high rise. All concrete and pavement then all tile floors. After several hours things just get sore. I used to work outside an AT&T tech, and years of that beat my feet and knees to death. So I try to go all comfort now.

I have Kenneth Cole and Stacey Adams now, but they are a little old, just figured I would update my attire for the new role. I used to have a pair of Nunn Bush I really liked, I forgot all about that until this post.
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
    Which ever brand you choose, one rule I stick by is not to go cheap on shoes. It's something you use everyday and definitely want them to be nice, comfy, and to last awhile.

when I was younger, I definitely cheaped out on them, and that was a huge mistake. Now that I'm older and wiser, money is not really a problem, so I'm fine with spending a decent amount on shoes if needed
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
    adam220891 wrote: »
    I see guys mention wearing shoes for a year. I always find mine to look pretty scuffed and rough after a year, and I've done the polish thing.

my shoes never look good after a year. i got big clown feet and i always bump them on stuff
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Colton - Black Tumbled - SHOES -promo4 - nunnbush.com are the most comfortable shoes I've ever worn. I wear them over sketchers and nike sneakers. They aren't the most fashionable but look fine with anything but a tux. I'll probably buy another pair soon as the first pair is starting to show toe wear after 8 months.
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
  • bmnaughtbmnaught Banned Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Converse chucks !!
  • kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    Bostonian Lites I like a lot.

Found them at Kohl's (they wanted $85 for them) so I tried them on and then went online to Amazon and bought the size I needed for $55.
    Very comfy, slick looking, have great reviews, and it was the first pair of business shoes I bought that didnt make my heels hurt for the first 3 days.
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Hahaha @ kohr-ah wearing them now.

They wear out quick though!
  • colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Kenneth Cole, some of the most comfortable shoes I've ever worn. 2nd most comfortable in fact, you can literally feel the ground through your feet, it is amazing.

Hands down, the most comfortable shoes I have ever owned in my life are Rockports. I'd wear the all day and twice on Sunday. They last for YEARS.

Honorable mention to Johnston & Murphy.
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
  • dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I have wide feet, so I get mine at Nordstrom outlet. They have decent selection of wide shoes.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman